The Student Room Group

AS Predictions

I achieved 3A* 5A 1B 1C in my gcse's which I am pleased with, and I was wondering what type of AS predictions I might receive with these results? I would be very happy with BBBBB or ABBBB would these be likely predictions? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by ChloeNR
I achieved 3A* 5A 1B 1C in my gcse's which I am pleased with, and I was wondering what type of AS predictions I might receive with these results? I would be very happy with BBBBB or ABBBB would these be likely predictions? Thanks!

What subjects are you doing and what subjects did you get the GCSEs for?
Reply 2
Original post by Sataris
What subjects are you doing and what subjects did you get the GCSEs for?

I am doing biology, chemistry, religious studies, and psychology. I got an A in biology (a few ums off an A* :frown: ) an A* in chemistry and I have never taken RS or psychology before but I got A's in both English lang and lit so I'm quite good essays and have got full marks in psychology so far :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's hard to say at this stage. My friend and I both achieved ABBD at AS, yet she had 5 A*/6 A at GCSE, and I have Dist/4 A/5 B at GCSE. We both did two sciences, maths and another subject.

It'll be easier to tell maybe around Christmas, but even then it'll be misleading. My target grades were BBCC in Sept, got BDUU in Jan mocks, had targets of ACCE at April, and then got ABBD.

Try your best, get the highest mark you can, and then think about predicted grades when you start A2.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
It's hard to say at this stage. My friend and I both achieved ABBD at AS, yet she had 5 A*/6 A at GCSE, and I have Dist/4 A/5 B at GCSE. We both did two sciences, maths and another subject.

It'll be easier to tell maybe around Christmas, but even then it'll be misleading. My target grades were BBCC in Sept, got BDUU in Jan mocks, had targets of ACCE at April, and then got ABBD.

Try your best, get the highest mark you can, and then think about predicted grades when you start A2.

Thank you. I suppose AS predictions don't really matter that much seeing as no one really uses them but the school and teachers haha. Great results by the way!
Reply 5
Impossible to tell but from my experience, our school made us do some dodgy test (ALIS i think its called) on our first day to generate a prediction which some teachers use. Its quite common from what i hear from others.

Total bs them AS predictions. I think i got given something like BBB/BBC as AS/A2 predictions (or as they try to say, 'target grades') and ended up getting A*AA. Dont worry about them honestly.
Original post by Jkizer
Impossible to tell but from my experience, our school made us do some dodgy test (ALIS i think its called) on our first day to generate a prediction which some teachers use. Its quite common from what i hear from others.

Total bs them AS predictions. I think i got given something like BBB/BBC as AS/A2 predictions (or as they try to say, 'target grades') and ended up getting A*AA. Dont worry about them honestly.

Yeah, this is also what my school made us do. My predictions began at BCCC, after the ALIS test and my GCSE's; I ended with AABC at AS--- in summary they mean nothing so it doesn't really matter what you're predicted
Original post by Jkizer

Based on my GCSEs (2A*s, 6As, 2Bs) I was given target grades during my AS year of BBB at A2 yet ended up with A*A*A. Predictions done during AS for A2 are utter crap because they're not set by your teachers :smile: These predictions, which are generated by a system called ALIS, are based on your average GCSE score and the average attainment of students at A2 with the same score. This fails to take into account individual progression and maturity and so the predictions they generate are very misleading. Your A2 predictions as done by your teachers for uni are much more reliable, yet still not 100% accurate. Just try your hardest and you'll do great :smile:
Original post by Jkizer

This is very similar to me!!

OP... Based on my GCSEs (2A*s, 6As, 2Bs) I was given target grades during my AS year of BBB at A2 yet ended up with A*A*A. Predictions done during AS for A2 are utter crap because they're not set by your teachers :smile: These predictions, which are generated by a system called ALIS, are based on your average GCSE score and the average attainment of students at A2 with the same score. This fails to take into account individual progression and maturity and so the predictions they generate are very misleading. Your A2 predictions as done by your teachers for uni are much more reliable, yet still not 100% accurate. Just try your hardest and you'll do great :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you everybody :smile: I don't know why but I got really worried , for no good reason obviously hahah. I'm going to try my hardest to do well whatever my targets are!
Reply 10
It turns out I've been targeted AAAA and an A in general studies?! Apparently our school did something called the ALPS and took the top 25% grades that people with my gcse grades achieved and it turned out I got all A's with an estimation of AAA at A2. I suppose they're high so we don't feel like we can slack.

Quick Reply

Latest