The Student Room Group

Is the future 3D printing?

There's been a lot of stuff in the news for the past few years about Additive Manufacturing and 3D Printing.
People have been saying that it will be the new Industrial Revolution and a lot of governments around the world seem to be promoting it.

Do you think it'll take off?
Do you think it's a good field to be studying in university (UG,PG and PhD)?
Would you be willing to buy a 3D printer?
Is it an industry that you'd like to be involved with?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I think that it will take off but probably not as much as is expected. 3D printing has a lot of uses which can solve problems with products we have now and in the future be used for other things such as printing food, organs etc which will help the world. Yeah I think that it would be an interesting study field as you can learn about all the uses for it that will be possible in the future.

At the moment I am not in the slightest interested in buying a 3D as there isn't much use for one however in the future when there is more uses for one then I might consider it but only based on the price. I don't think I would be interested in being involved in the industry however it will become a growing industry in the future
Reply 2
Original post by skrause
There's been a lot of stuff in the news for the past few years about Additive Manufacturing and 3D Printing.
People have been saying that it will be the new Industrial Revolution and a lot of governments around the world seem to be promoting it.

Do you think it'll take off?
Do you think it's a good field to be studying in university (UG,PG and PhD)?
Would you be willing to buy a 3D printer?
Is it an industry that you'd like to be involved with?

I think that it's progress and could have big manufacturing implications but i don't think it's quite the miracle its made out to be. I did find printing DNA to be interesting, that could be a big step forward to genetic engineering and perhaps liberal eugenics.
Only for prototyping.
Reply 4
I'm hoping to get involved with electronics and 3d printing. I was hoping would have any first hand experiences with that. Specifically with computers or microchips?
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
I think that it's progress and could have big manufacturing implications but i don't think it's quite the miracle its made out to be. I did find printing DNA to be interesting, that could be a big step forward to genetic engineering and perhaps liberal eugenics.

Yeah that's a possibility. I was actually thinking that it would be revolutionary. Was talking with my personal tutor and he said he feels it's like the internet in the early days. Ready to explode :P ... hopefully lol
Reply 6
Original post by skrause
Yeah that's a possibility. I was actually thinking that it would be revolutionary. Was talking with my personal tutor and he said he feels it's like the internet in the early days. Ready to explode :P ... hopefully lol

I'd not go that far but if it can be scaled and produce extremely cheaply then it's possible.
it'll be like the internet, anyone can go out there and make some ****ty web page but it takes skills and effort to make something half decent
[video="youtube;v9AKH16--VE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AKH16--VE[/video]

The video was being withheld by company because it is too politically controversial; it discusses 3D printing for guns. Pretty cool, still don't get it but whatever.
Reply 9
I guess there would also be a fear that technology is moving way faster than governments. If we can literally print nearly everything the number of people in the manufacturing industry would fall dramatically. They even made a fully printed electric car a couple of days ago!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
[video="youtube;v9AKH16--VE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AKH16--VE[/video]

The video was being withheld by company because it is too politically controversial; it discusses 3D printing for guns. Pretty cool, still don't get it but whatever.

What is this lol?
Original post by skrause
What is this lol?

Click it :nothing:
Reply 12
Original post by skrause
I guess there would also be a fear that technology is moving way faster than governments. If we can literally print nearly everything the number of people in the manufacturing industry would fall dramatically. They even made a fully printed electric car a couple of days ago!

Hmm the problem is doing it on a large scale it isn't that feasible in this sense i.e. it's quite expensive and difficult to get hold of those huge printers.

Manufacturing is a growing industry for sure :smile:
If one tracks the development of the electric car or virtual reality, then 3d printing will probably follow the same path - a long tine in development with still no cost-viable mass production solution or take-up.

The technology will need to mature to the point that the printing costs will need to both significantly undercut current manufacturing methods and also not compromise quality and aesthetics in most cases.

There will be significant legislative hurdles to overcome, like safety certification for home printed products, insurance implications not to mention loss of tax revenues etc.

So for the foreseeable future, it is a niche product - albeit with potential.
Reply 14
Click it :nothing:

I did. But still needed to ask the question lol :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well they use it in Airbus to make parts for planes. My dad has designed a lot of stuff that's only possible to be built through 3D printing.
Reply 16
3D print a 3D printer. Repeat infinitely. Die.
Reply 17
Original post by uberteknik
If one tracks the development of the electric car or virtual reality, then 3d printing will probably follow the same path - a long tine in development with still no cost-viable mass production solution or take-up.

The technology will need to mature to the point that the printing costs will need to both significantly undercut current manufacturing methods and also not compromise quality and aesthetics in most cases.

There will be significant legislative hurdles to overcome, like safety certification for home printed products, insurance implications not to mention loss of tax revenues etc.

So for the foreseeable future, it is a niche product - albeit with potential.

What about Tesla? I guess we'll need a Elon Musk for 3D Printing :cool:
Original post by skrause
I did. But still needed to ask the question lol :confused:

Sigh! BeCAUSE they used 3D printing to make the guns in the video and the statement in the lyrics. But the video was prohibited till M.I.A. fought to get it released because it was "controversial." Now why is 3D printed guns controversial, I dunno. :s-smilie: Maybe because the NRA or National Rifle Association (very very very rich) will not make as much money if people can make their own guns :lol:
Reply 19
Sigh! BeCAUSE they used 3D printing to make the guns in the video and the statement in the lyrics. But the video was prohibited till M.I.A. fought to get it released because it was "controversial." Now why is 3D printed guns controversial, I dunno. :s-smilie: Maybe because the NRA or National Rifle Association (very very very rich) will not make as much money if people can make their own guns :lol:

Yeah probably more controversial in the US than here in the UK or Europe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending