The Student Room Group

Good A-levels for an economics degree?

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
History
Geography

I'd like to study economics at UCL or Warwick.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaNick
Yes those look good, you could swap Geography for Chemistry/Physics though.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a science-person, is it still OK if I chose not to do a science?
Agree with swapping Geography!
But for UCL and Warwick, they'd care more about you getting better grades than doing 5 AS levels, so think about whether you reckon you'd be able to smash 5 all 5 of your subjects!
I'd say perfect. From my Geography a-level I can tell you you will often encounter economics in human geography e.g there is lots of case studies on China's economic growth. Can provide you with nice case studies for economics exams. Geography is a wonderful subject, go for it!
Original post by cerlohee
Agree with swapping Geography!
But for UCL and Warwick, they'd care more about you getting better grades than doing 5 AS levels, so think about whether you reckon you'd be able to smash 5 all 5 of your subjects!

I'm doing five AS I feel really confident with...
Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by AlphaNick
I think it would be better than something like geography but it definitely won't be essential

Thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by jimbo007
I'd say perfect. From my Geography a-level I can tell you you will often encounter economics in human geography e.g there is lots of case studies on China's economic growth. Can provide you with nice case studies for economics exams. Geography is a wonderful subject, go for it!

I'm a huge geo fan too :smile:

Thnaks for your help
Original post by jake4198
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
History
Geography

Thanks

Yes, they are good choices.

There is absolutely no need to swap geography. Even without geography/a fifth subject at all, that's still a great subject combination for Economics.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes, they are good choices.

There is absolutely no need to swap geography. Even without geography/a fifth subject at all, that's still a great subject combination for Economics.

Ahh thanks a lot. Really reassuring :smile:

My college is a little awkward so I have to do 5...
Maths, economics & history are pretty much the three main components of an economics degree so everything else is just gravy. :smile: More maths is good & parts of geography would be economics related so are both decent choices.
Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Super Additional Further Maths, Computer Science would be a perfect combination.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Maths, economics & history are pretty much the three main components of an economics degree so everything else is just gravy. :smile: More maths is good & parts of geography would be economics related so are both decent choices.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Anonynous
Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Super Additional Further Maths, Computer Science would be a perfect combination.

Switch CS with economics and my dream's come true xd
Switch CS with economics and my dream's come true xd

Lool do those institutions even teach economics? They just teach maths.. maybe they'll add revenue in the mix in one of the tests... other than that, you're doing a Maths degree bro.
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
History
Geography

Thanks

Those are great. Especially Geography. But you could do English or Politics instead of History though.
Those look absolutely fine you don't need to change anything!
Original post by jenigma
Those are great. Especially Geography. But you could do English or Politics instead of History though.

Thanks a lot :smile:
I was thinking of English but my strengths lye really in the humanities...
Original post by lilixxx1000
Those look absolutely fine you don't need to change anything!

Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Anonynous
Lool do those institutions even teach economics? They just teach maths.. maybe they'll add revenue in the mix in one of the tests... other than that, you're doing a Maths degree bro.

That's more of a good thing...
Economics combines the essay with the maths so it's fine with me :smile:
Thanks a lot :smile:
I was thinking of English but my strengths lye really in the humanities...

Well I don't think admissions tutors would necessarily prefer English over History or anything, I just know someone who did the exact subjects as you except History and he got into Birmingham :smile:

EDIT: You don't HAVE to put yourself through Further Maths if you aren't too keen on it, my friend goes to LSE and she did just Maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest