The Student Room Group

t=tan(x/2)

If t=tanθ2 t=\tan\frac{\theta}{2} express cosθ \cos \theta in terms of t.

I have no idea where to start really, never done anything with half angles before :/
Reply 1
Original post by Davelittle
If t=tanθ2 t=\tan\frac{\theta}{2} express cosθ \cos \theta in terms of t.

I have no idea where to start really, never done anything with half angles before :/

Use the tan double angle formula to express tanθ\tan \theta in terms of tanθ2\tan \frac{\theta}{2}.

This will give you a fraction for tanθtan \theta in terms of tt which you can then use to find cosθ\cos \theta by considering a right-angled triangle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
Use the tan double angle formula to express tanθ\tan \theta in terms of tanθ2\tan \frac{\theta}{2}.

This will give you a fraction for tanθtan \theta in terms of tt which you can then use to find cosθ\cos \theta by considering a right-angled triangle.

Part (iii) actually asks to find tanθ \tan \theta in terms of t, whereas part (i) asks to find cosθ\cos \theta in terms of t. By finding tan first does that mean I am skipping steps?

tanθ=2t1t2 \tan \theta = \frac{2t}{1-t^2} is where I am up to, not sure how to use the right angled triangle to get cos though :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Part (iii) actually asks to find tan theta \tan \ theta in terms of t, whereas part (i) asks to find cosθ\cos \theta in terms of t. By finding tan first does that mean I am skipping steps?

tanθ=2t1t2 \tan \theta = \frac{2t}{1-t^2} is where I am up to, not sure how to use the right angled triangle to get cos though :/

Draw a right angled triangle and then use the definition tan=opp/adj to label your triangle. Similarly, use the definition of cos.
Reply 4
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Draw a right angled triangle and then use the definition tan=opp/adj to label your triangle. Similarly, use the definition of cos.

Ok so I have tan=o/a and cos=a/h with a triangle drawn, how do i go about incorporating the sides of a triangle into my answer though? :/

Don't think Im following what you're saying
Ok so I have tan=o/a and cos=a/h with a triangle drawn, how do i go about incorporating the sides of a triangle into my answer though? :/

tanθ=2t1t2=oppadj\displaystyle \tan \theta = \frac{2t}{1-t^2} = \frac{opp}{adj}
Reply 6
tanθ=2t1t2=oppadj\displaystyle \tan \theta = \frac{2t}{1-t^2} = \frac{opp}{adj}

Ok but how do I then incorporate the hypotenuse? Am I missing something really obvious here? Do I have to use pythagoras?
Do I have to use pythagoras?

Yes.
Reply 8

E.g. tanθ=34\tan \theta = \frac{3}{4}, you could draw a right-angled triangle with opposite length 3 and adjacent length 4.

Since the hypotenuse is 5, cosθ=45\cos \theta = \frac{4}{5}.

Can you see how to use this method for your question?

Alternatively, use sec2θ=1+tan2θ\sec^2 \theta = 1+\tan^2 \theta to express cos in terms of tan.
Reply 9
Yes.

Is cosθ=1t21+t2 \cos \theta = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2} ?

Yes that is correct. You can find an expression for sin now too.
Yes that is correct. You can find an expression for sin now too.

sinθ=2t1+t2 \sin \theta= \frac{2t}{1+t^2} ? :biggrin:
Reply 12

That's right.

These t formulae are very useful for finding integrals since making a substitution t=tanx2\tan \frac{x}{2} gives dtdx=sec2x2=1+tan2x2=1+t2\frac{dt}{dx} = \sec^2 \frac{x}{2} = 1+\tan^2\frac{x}{2} = 1+t^2

so you can express sums of sin cos and tan as rational functions of t which can be easily integrated.

This may be explained later in your textbook.
Original post by notnek
That's right.

These t formulae are very useful for finding integrals since making a substitution t=tanx2\tan \frac{x}{2} gives dtdx=sec2x2=1+tan2x2=1+t2\frac{dt}{dx} = \sec^2 \frac{x}{2} = 1+\tan^2\frac{x}{2} = 1+t^2

so you can express sums of sin cos and tan as rational functions of t which can be easily integrated.

This may be explained later in your textbook.

I just checked, it isn't even in the text book but its given on the formula sheet :/

How did they expect us to find cos in part 1 before we found tan (part 3)?
Reply 14
I just checked, it isn't even in the text book but its given on the formula sheet :/

You could start with the cos double angle formula:

cosx=cos2x2sin2x2=cos2x2(1tan2x2)=...\displaystyle \cos x = \cos^2 \frac{x}{2} - \sin^2 \frac{x}{2} = \cos^2 \frac{x}{2}\left(1-tan^2 \frac{x}{2}\right)=...

If it's not in your textbook, would you like an example question to see how these t-formulae can be used in integration, something that could be useful in exams?
sinθ=2t1+t2 \sin \theta= \frac{2t}{1+t^2} ? :biggrin:

Yes.

There are other methods of finding cos in terms of t. See below:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by notnek
You could start with the cos double angle formula:

cosx=cos2x2sin2x2=cos2x2(1tan2x2)=...\displaystyle \cos x = \cos^2 \frac{x}{2} - \sin^2 \frac{x}{2} = \cos^2 \frac{x}{2}\left(1-tan^2 \frac{x}{2}\right)=...

If it's not in your textbook, would you like an example question to see how these t-formulae can be used in integration, something that could be useful in exams?

Yes please that would be great!
Yes please that would be great!

If you private message me with an email address I will send you my half tan substitution powerpoint.

Quick Reply

Latest