The Student Room Group

Bad AS-level grades! Do Ihave enough time to turn it around, or am I being unrealisti

I was really dissapointed with my as grades this year because I got the following resullts:
chemistry U
biology C
maths E
classics C
I originally wanted to do biochemistry, but that is completely out of the water because I was forced to drop chemistry and now I only have maths, classics and bio. But it really makes it difficult with my options for careers because now I have no clue want I want to do. I wanted to make a good salary whilst doing science but that doesn't seem possible with biology on it's own so im kind of stumped. I was hoping to get my grades up if I retook modules in maths and an Isa in bio. but am I too optimistic for thinking I can get my grades up to AAC next year? please help!
Reply 1
You'll have to work hard this year to make it up! Talk to your teacher about resitting some of the modules from AS. I think if you can get a higher mark on your AS's it would really make A2 easier for you (but by no means will it be easy!) Be prepared to work hard! Get your results next year and then you'll have a good idea of where you stand and what you should do to get to where you want to be. :smile:

Good luck!
Make sure you figure out where you went wrong (lack of revision, revising the wrong thing, struggling with exam technique), and then work from there. With hard work you might just be able to do it!

Biochem is obviously out the window, but with two sciences (maths/bio), you still have a plain biology degree open to you. Perhaps you could look for a course with many biochem modules open to you?
Reply 3
I was thinking of taking a gap year and doing work experience then doing a intensive course of chem in that time, what do you think?
Original post by jennyrules
I was thinking of taking a gap year and doing work experience then doing a intensive course of chem in that time, what do you think?

If you feel that you can balance your time, it shouldn't be an issue, except for the coursework. As you'd no longer be attending a school, the chem ISA could set you back a couple of hundred pounds.
You could retake the whole year? My son went from Bs and Cs to As doing that, better than resitting some modules. Pulling up over a grade from AS to A2 in the one year is really hard, you have a limited amount of marks available to do it in, and resits alongside A2 are going to be tough as well. Only you know how hard (or effectively) you worked to get what you did.

Chemistry is a lot of content. How were you on physics? If you were any better at that at GCSE, had physics maths and biology, all of engineering is open to you, and at one end that it quite lab-sciencey. Good results needed, but great jobs and pay at the other end.
I'd suggest retaking the whole year.. just go back to year 12 instead of moving on to year 13. It's going to really bump up your grades :smile:
Reply 7
but where will i go to and my family said that they do not want me to and when I went to a college they said that i will hardly improve, so? im stumped plus isn't it too late in the year for that?
but not every body have the luxury of resiting the year

Quick Reply

Latest