The Student Room Group

Best possible degree for Investment Banking?

I enjoy maths more than economics at A-Level, so should I be choosing to study that at uni? Or is economics more relevant for investment banking?

What about studying Accounting and Finance or Business studies?
Reply 1
Original post by TheWrongTrick
I enjoy maths more than economics at A-Level, so should I be choosing to study that at uni? Or is economics more relevant for investment banking?

What about studying Accounting and Finance or Business studies?

Economics. When you look at the requirement they all say Economics HOWEVER, you can still get in with other degrees. I know someone who did History that's an Investment Banker. Just browse the web and look at what they ask for.
I will do Law and I'm considering becoming an investment banker.
Reply 3
PPE from Oxford, I think.
Reply 4
From what I've heard, you can get into IB from *most* (said with caution) degrees, a lot of it is about where you went to uni and not what you studied there. You need to be aiming for Oxbridge/LSE/Durham/Warwick etc. but I really don't think it will make all that much difference if you choose maths instead of economics. A friend of mine is currently studying classics at Durham and is being snapped up for IB internships and potential jobs once he graduates. If you could take economics at Cambridge or E&M at Oxford, I'm sure you'd get into IB relatively easily but I've heard of people going from all sorts of degrees, since the banks will train you themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending