The Student Room Group

Have I been unfairly dismissed

The facts:

I am 4 months and two weeks into a fixed-term contract with a company (who will not be named)
I have been given a notice of one month, meaning that my contract will end at 5 months and 2 weeks- or 2 weeks before it should have ended
If I were to complete the entire 6 weeks of my contract I would be entitled to a one off payment of £750. Since I have been given a notice two weeks short of that I will not.

I am told I am being dismissed because my attention to detail was not up to scratch.
A piece of my work had been quality checked and sent back.
While I had been given one one caution 3 months ago no actual warning was given, no formal written warning was given, no discussion of the problem or ways to fix the problem (like training on what mistakes to look out for) was given.

I am actually going to Greece for two weeks tomorrow and I was given the notice today. There was no warning that I was going to be given any notice and the meeting set up did not give any indication that I was in any trouble.

Over all I feel that firstly the timing of the dismissal is doubly suspicious, seeing as I will be in no position to fight my corner for two weeks and also that this is the last avaliable time they have before they can dismiss me and not pay my bonus.

I feel a lack of communication on the managers part is also an issue. I had no idea and no warning that this was an issue. The other work I have done has come back without issue. The work I am being fired for was not originally in my works description. The manager themselves have said that the other work I have done is good enough but I am still being fired.
Nope because you haven't been employed by them for 2 [two] years.

So suck it up brother/sister.
Reply 2
I don't know details of your contract, but try to find another job because it is a bad company. As I can understand the team communication with manager is lacking and decision making problems there are obvious. Next time you will find a better job.
Reply 3
I don't know details of your contract, but try to find another job because it is a bad company the team communication with manager is lacking and decision making problems there are obvious. Next time you will find a better job.
Original post by SpunkInMyEye
Nope because you haven't been employed by them for 2 [two] years.

So suck it up brother/sister.

Im no expert on the issue- but surely it doesnt matter how long you have been there- if you have been unfairly dismissed, then you have been unfairly dismissed, however long you have been there.
Original post by Vimms29
The facts:

I am 4 months and two weeks into a fixed-term contract with a company (who will not be named)
I have been given a notice of one month, meaning that my contract will end at 5 months and 2 weeks- or 2 weeks before it should have ended
If I were to complete the entire 6 weeks of my contract I would be entitled to a one off payment of £750. Since I have been given a notice two weeks short of that I will not.

I am told I am being dismissed because my attention to detail was not up to scratch.
A piece of my work had been quality checked and sent back.
While I had been given one one caution 3 months ago no actual warning was given, no formal written warning was given, no discussion of the problem or ways to fix the problem (like training on what mistakes to look out for) was given.

I am actually going to Greece for two weeks tomorrow and I was given the notice today. There was no warning that I was going to be given any notice and the meeting set up did not give any indication that I was in any trouble.

Over all I feel that firstly the timing of the dismissal is doubly suspicious, seeing as I will be in no position to fight my corner for two weeks and also that this is the last avaliable time they have before they can dismiss me and not pay my bonus.

I feel a lack of communication on the managers part is also an issue. I had no idea and no warning that this was an issue. The other work I have done has come back without issue. The work I am being fired for was not originally in my works description. The manager themselves have said that the other work I have done is good enough but I am still being fired.

How come you wanted to leave 2 weeks before your contract ended in the first place?
Original post by J-SP
Unfortunately not. You are more protected if you have been with an organisation for 1 year or more (it used to be two years, but changed in 2012).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other way around -- it used to be one year and is now two. Essentially, unless it's for discrimination against a protected characteristic, they can do as they please. (I'm a CAB advisor)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending