The Student Room Group

History essay help!!!

Ok, so I am looking at applying to the history and politics course at Oxford and part of the application is a history essay on an A2 topic. I was just wondering whether the essay had to be the A2 subject I am studying and does it have to be for the exam board I am using? And how exactly is it supposed to be written?The website describes it as an "ordinary essay" but what does it actually mean by that? Like how am I supposed to structure it? Is it just a narrative it wants or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by lollytish
Ok, so I am looking at applying to the history and politics course at Oxford and part of the application is a history essay on an A2 topic. I was just wondering whether the essay had to be the A2 subject I am studying and does it have to be for the exam board I am using? And how exactly is it supposed to be written?The website describes it as an "ordinary essay" but what does it actually mean by that? Like how am I supposed to structure it? Is it just a narrative it wants or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is anything like the English one, we had to submit an essay on any topic and was under 1500 words. When it refers to an ordinary essay, I assume it means one that you have done as part of your course. Essays your teacher has set as homework would be an example of this. If it was anything like the English one, there were rules meaning you aren't supposed to submit an essay that has been purposely written for the application. Our essays had to be a first draft, show a teacher's markings and we had to submit a front sheet stating what the essay was set for (e.g coursework).

Sorry I can't give you any more relevant information but I know your desperate for an answer so I thought I'd try and help anyway I could. Hopefully someone who got accepted for History will be able to help you further.

Hope this helps anyway :smile:
Reply 2
It's just an essay you've produced as part of your normal school work for either AS or A2, of around 2000 words at most - you aren't expected to produce anything specially for your Oxford application. It's a good idea to choose a piece that not only represents the best of your work, but that you're genuinely interested in, as you may end up discussing it with tutors at interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry for the naïveté, but I'm an American applying for Oxford only just in history. About this essay - where do they require that? In your PS? At the interview? Where do I submit that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ssswims
Sorry for the naïveté, but I'm an American applying for Oxford only just in history. About this essay - where do they require that? In your PS? At the interview? Where do I submit that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is on the Oxford History Faculty website.

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prospective/undergraduate/applying/the-application-process.html
Reply 5
Thank you very much! This is extremely helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending