The Student Room Group

Is vulnerability to psychological effects of drugs largely determined by confidence?

For example is an insecure person more likely to have a bad trip than a confident person? Could a very confident person manage to control the hallucination? This is a bizarre hypothesis I am working on.
Original post by Riku
For example is an insecure person more likely to have a bad trip than a confident person? Could a very confident person manage to control the hallucination? This is a bizarre hypothesis I am working on.

Confidence and Insecurity are manmade human concepts/philosophies. One becomes confident/insecure. But often times I feel people use them to brush over a type of person without fully understanding exactly what these two things mean.

Confidence is not self esteem, is not stability, is not sanity. Confidence is superficial, it is bravado. There are confident people who have low self worth, low understanding, low intelligence, etc.

There are insecure people who have high self worth, high understanding, high intelligence. They are just too consumed with what is not perfect, and in fact, they will be more compulsive and will control their high. They might not trust letting their guard down under the influence if they can't even let it down sober.

A confident person will be more impulsive and down for whatever because they are less concerned with what people think sober, even if they have self esteem issues or low faculties for learning; so they will enjoy their high more.

Confidence just means the mere ability to be oneself without considering what others think, it is not this heroic character trait.
Reply 2
No. Confidence won't affect the trip.

A stronger prefrontal cortex might mean you have more control over how you react to psychedelics. Your mental state will determine what you see and feel - remember that psychedelics bring up the unconscious. But there's no way to actually change what you see and feel except by changing the environment and in the long term, changing yourself.

All this hypothesizing seems yet another strange coping mechanism in your arsenal of coping mechanisms. You considered you might have a personality disorder? Have you been evaluated by a psychiatrist?
Reply 3
Original post by tooosh
No. Confidence won't affect the trip.

A stronger prefrontal cortex might mean you have more control over how you react to psychedelics. Your mental state will determine what you see and feel - remember that psychedelics bring up the unconscious. But there's no way to actually change what you see and feel except by changing the environment and in the long term, changing yourself.

All this hypothesizing seems yet another strange coping mechanism in your arsenal of coping mechanisms. You considered you might have a personality disorder? Have you been evaluated by a psychiatrist?[/QUOTE]

Hey there Toosh, it's been a while!

Thanks for clarifying, I thought it was a long shot :smile:

Well, it's established that I have an anxiety/depression combination, and lifelong Dyrpaxia as learning disability. What I didn't realise was that Dyspraxia made me more prone to phobias, obsessions, compulsions, addictive behaviour, emotional outbursts, sleep problems etc. anyway-nor that there is some overlap between that and Asperger's. Given that I am always trying to talk logically on here but it comes out in a strange form-and my friends often say "I don't fully get what you mean", as well as people saying that the way I think and behave is generally odd-I am wondering if I might be on the autistic spectrum. Unless this is a symptom of my anxious/depressive state in the first place.

When I was with CAMHS, the child psychiatrist wished to test me for a personality disorder, but my mum didn't like me being labeled with it. Now I am beginning to wonder whether it may help.

I'm currently doing CBT with the local IAPT branch, and the advocacy team also have a CBT program available. I'm not sure who to go to for this, my doctors always just say something dismissive like 'try not to think too much' 'don't worry' etc.
Reply 4
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
Confidence and Insecurity are manmade human concepts/philosophies. One becomes confident/insecure. But often times I feel people use them to brush over a type of person without fully understanding exactly what these two things mean.

Confidence is not self esteem, is not stability, is not sanity. Confidence is superficial, it is bravado. There are confident people who have low self worth, low understanding, low intelligence, etc.

There are insecure people who have high self worth, high understanding, high intelligence. They are just too consumed with what is not perfect, and in fact, they will be more compulsive and will control their high. They might not trust letting their guard down under the influence if they can't even let it down sober.

A confident person will be more impulsive and down for whatever because they are less concerned with what people think sober, even if they have self esteem issues or low faculties for learning; so they will enjoy their high more.

Confidence just means the mere ability to be oneself without considering what others think, it is not this heroic character trait.

I can see where you're coming from. But do you not think that true, inner confidence, is self-esteem, security? And might that affect such events, and how you experience them?
Original post by Riku
I can see where you're coming from. But do you not think that true, inner confidence, is self-esteem, security? And might that affect such events, and how you experience them?

"Inner" confidence? That's what I mean by understanding the concept of Confidence. Confidence is a layer, self esteem is what's within. There are people who are confident who have low self esteem; self esteem means you want the best for yourself. Confidence has nothing to do with that.

So if someone is confident, (as in: able to socialize or talk or dress, without thinking if this offends people or compliments oneself), it means they are more free and impulsive, less attached to the self and the mind. Therefore, they will experience a better trip with drugs. Someone who is insecure is more attached to the self and the mind, the problem is too attached. Therefore, more inhibited and less able to enjoy the trip, probably. Someone can be insecure because they care too much about themselves and being perfect-not because they're incapable of handling themselves.

Of course, this is all generally speaking.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Riku

Hey there Toosh, it's been a while!

Thanks for clarifying, I thought it was a long shot :smile:

Well, it's established that I have an anxiety/depression combination, and lifelong Dyrpaxia as learning disability. What I didn't realise was that Dyspraxia made me more prone to phobias, obsessions, compulsions, addictive behaviour, emotional outbursts, sleep problems etc. anyway-nor that there is some overlap between that and Asperger's. Given that I am always trying to talk logically on here but it comes out in a strange form-and my friends often say "I don't fully get what you mean", as well as people saying that the way I think and behave is generally odd-I am wondering if I might be on the autistic spectrum. Unless this is a symptom of my anxious/depressive state in the first place.

When I was with CAMHS, the child psychiatrist wished to test me for a personality disorder, but my mum didn't like me being labeled with it. Now I am beginning to wonder whether it may help.

I'm currently doing CBT with the local IAPT branch, and the advocacy team also have a CBT program available. I'm not sure who to go to for this, my doctors always just say something dismissive like 'try not to think too much' 'don't worry' etc.

Haha yeah.

A PD can make you come off like that. Aspergers and autism aren't the only things you can have which make people not understand you.

If you have a PD you need a proper assessment and a referral to a psychiatrist.. which you will have to ask someone for. Your GP can definitely refer you but so can your local CMHT if you're in contact with them. IAPT can't.

A diagnosis will help you - you seem the kind of person who can pick up a lot of important things and signs but just can't seem to shove them into one big picture.

Quick Reply

Latest