The Student Room Group

Speed and Velocity help

I need some help with the following question, I don't seem to understand what is going on

A passenger moves at 2 ms-1 along the corridor of a train travelling south at 40ms-1. What are the possible speeds and velocities of the passenger relative to the track?

Any help would be appreciated :redface:
Original post by Super199
I need some help with the following question, I don't seem to understand what is going on

A passenger moves at 2 ms-1 along the corridor of a train travelling south at 40ms-1. What are the possible speeds and velocities of the passenger relative to the track?

Any help would be appreciated :redface:

Well when trains had corridors they were always parallel to the direction of the track - meaning the passenger running in the corridor can be either facing north or south.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Well when trains had corridors they were always parallel to the direction of the track - meaning the passenger running in the corridor can be either facing north or south.

So if the train if the train is going north and he is running that way at 2ms-1. His speed would be 42 and the other way it would be 38? If that's right would the velocity just be the same values but in the south direction?
So if the train if the train is going north and he is running that way at 2ms-1. His speed would be 42 and the other way it would be 38? If that's right would the velocity just be the same values but in the south direction?

Yeah - you're given the direction the train is traveling and have to either add or subtract the passengers speed relative to the train to that.
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah - you're given the direction the train is traveling and have to either add or subtract the passengers speed relative to the train to that.

I have another question I need some help on if you don't mind

A plane has a velocity through the air of 240ms-1 due north. The wind velocity is 90ms-1 from the west. Calculate the velocity of the plane over the ground.

I constructed a triangle and got 256ms-1 by using Pythagoras . I don't understand how they got 20.6 for the angle. I mean I can work it out but I am not sure why they picked that and not 69.4?
I have another question I need some help on if you don't mind

A plane has a velocity through the air of 240ms-1 due north. The wind velocity is 90ms-1 from the west. Calculate the velocity of the plane over the ground.

I constructed a triangle and got 256ms-1 by using Pythagoras . I don't understand how they got 20.6 for the angle. I mean I can work it out but I am not sure why they picked that and not 69.4?

It's the convention for bearings, and it's an important thing to remember.

1. North is always 0 degrees
2. Bearings are always measured clockwise from north (0 degrees) e.g. West is 270 degrees

Quick Reply

Latest