The Student Room Group

more trig

cosθ+cos3θ=sinθ+sin3θ \cos \theta + \cos 3\theta = \sin \theta + \sin 3\theta range is from 0 to 2 pi and we have to find the solutions to the equation.

So from about 2 pages of workings I think I have managed to get it down to 12sin2θ=tanθ 1-2 \sin 2\theta = \tan \theta but I'm starting to think this is wrong as I can't see where to go next.

Basically I used the idea that 3= 2 + 1 and use compound angle formula on the sin3x and cos3x and moved on from there
Original post by physicsboy1

From the beginning, the question drops out quite nicely if you use the sum/product formulae for sines and cosines.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
From the beginning, the question drops out quite nicely if you use the sum/product formulae for sines and cosines.

Sorry, are the sum/product formulae the same thing as double angle formulae?
Sorry, are the sum/product formulae the same thing as double angle formulae?

No - see the second to last block here.

Though, if you've not covered them yet then you won't be expected to use them.

Edit: The equation you got to has different roots to the original equation, so you've made a slip in your algebra somewhere.

If you'd not covered the other formulae (not the triple angle formula), then using 3=2+1 would be the way I'd do it as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
cosθ+cos3θ=sinθ+sin3θ \cos \theta + \cos 3\theta = \sin \theta + \sin 3\theta range is from 0 to 2 pi and we have to find the solutions to the equation.

So from about 2 pages of workings I think I have managed to get it down to 12sin2θ=tanθ 1-2 \sin 2\theta = \tan \theta but I'm starting to think this is wrong as I can't see where to go next.

Basically I used the idea that 3= 2 + 1 and use compound angle formula on the sin3x and cos3x and moved on from there

Look in your formula book!

You have formulae for cos A + cos B and sin A + sin B which will help you enormously :smile:
Original post by arkanm
Just for another perspective: let s=sin(x) and c=cos(x). If you're a veteran like me you'll know that sin(3x)=3s-4s^3 and cos(3x)=4c^3-3c (but these are actuall pretty easy to derive using euler's formula or de moivre's), so putting them into the euqation we get c+4c33c=s+3s4s3c+4c^3-3c=s+3s-4s^3 or equivalently 2c3c=2s2s32c^3-c = 2s-2s^3. Factoring both sides we get c(2c21)=2s(1s2)c(2c^2-1)=2s(1-s^2)....(*) Now 2c21=c2(1c2)=c2s2=cos(2x)2c^2-1=c^2-(1-c^2)=c^2-s^2=\cos(2x) and 1s2=c21-s^2=c^2 so (*) becomes c×cos(2x)=2sc2c\times \cos(2x) = 2sc^2. If c=0c=0 then the equation holds, otherwise c0c\ne 0 and we can divide it out to get cos(2x)=2sc\cos(2x) = 2sc. Since 2sc=sin(2x) we get cos(2x)=sin(2x)\cos(2x)=\sin(2x), which is much easier to solve than the original. So we have basically reduced the problem to solving:As already suggested, a veteran like *me* would get to this point in one line using the sum/product formulae.
Original post by arkanm
Of course, excellent. It's just that I prefer to convert everything to s and c first and then use the usual identities. So sin(3x) becomes 3s-4s^3, etc., because this method always works with A level trig.
I don't see how it "always works". If the problem is changed to say sin3θ+sin7θ=cos3θ+cos7θ\sin 3\theta + \sin 7\theta = \cos 3 \theta + \cos 7 \theta, it's still a perfectly reasonable A-level question, but good luck solving that using your method.

I don't want to completely flog a dead horse here, but a key skill of mathematics is choosing the appropriate technique for solving a problem. Certainly what's appropriate is somewhat subjective, and I confess to a fairly strong bias towards preferring "the most elementary method of solving a problem". But providing a solution involving DeMoivre when the problem is easily solved using C3 formulae doesn't seem terribly well geared to the OPs needs.
Reply 7
Original post by arkanm
For this one I would use two different notations.

s1=sinas_1=\sin a, c1=cosac_1=\cos a (where a=3x), and

s=sinxs=\sin x, c=cosxc=\cos x.

Left hand side = sinx+sin(2(3x)+x)\sin x+\sin (2(3x)+x)
=sinx+sin(2(3x))cosx+sinxcos(2(3x))= \sin x+\sin(2(3x))\cos x+\sin x\cos(2(3x))
=s+2s1c1c+s(c12s12)=s+2s_1c_1c+s(c_1^2-s_1^2).

Right hand side = cosx+cos(2(3x)+x)\cos x+\cos(2(3x)+x)
=cosx+cos(2(3x))cosxsin(2(3x))sinx=\cos x+\cos(2(3x))\cos x-\sin(2(3x))\sin x
=c+(c12s12)c2s1c1s=c+(c_1^2-s_1^2)c-2s_1c_1s.

So the equation is

s+2s1c1c+s(c12s12)=c+(c12s12)c2s1c1ss+2s_1c_1c+s(c_1^2-s_1^2)=c+(c_1^2-s_1^2)c-2s_1c_1s

(cs)(1+c12s12)=2s1c1(c+s)(c-s)(1+c_1^2-s_1^2)=2s_1c_1(c+s) (*)

scs=c1s12s1\frac{s}{c-s}=\frac{c_1-s_1}{2s_1}

s1(s+c)=c1(cs)s_1(s+c)=c_1(c-s)

s12(1+2sc)=c12(12sc)s_1^2(1+2sc)=c_1^2(1-2sc)

s12(1+2sc)=(1s12)(12sc)s_1^2(1+2sc)=(1-s_1^2)(1-2sc)

s12+2s12sc=12scs12+2s12scs_1^2+2s_1^2sc=1-2sc-s_1^2+2s_1^2sc

s12=12scs12s_1^2=1-2sc-s_1^2

12s12=2sc1-2s_1^2=2sc

cos(2(3x))=sin(2x)\cos(2(3x))=\sin(2x)

And then check for extraneous solutions at the end, since we squared.

The only caveat is (*) when we divided by 2s1c1(cs)2s_1c_1(c-s), so we need to find when this is 0. This happens when either c=sc=s or s1=0s_1=0 or c1=0c_1=0, which are all easy to dispose of.

I think you're on the verge of "trolling" here again. Your method is what's known in professional circles as using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut :smile:
Reply 8
arkanm, that method is so clumsy and unfruitful that I am contemplating suicide right now.
Reply 9
Original post by ziu
arkanm, that method is so clumsy and unfruitful that I am contemplating suicide right now.

disgonbgud.jpeg
Reply 10
Credits to Zen for LaTeX'ing my solution because I'm a recumbent bastard.

Using the sum/product formulae:

cos(3x)+cos(x)=2(cos(2x))(cos(x))\cos(3x) + \cos(x) = 2(\cos(2x))(\cos(x))

sin(3x)+sin(x)=2(sin(2x))(cos(x))\sin(3x) + \sin(x) = 2(\sin(2x))( \cos(x))

Therefore dividing by 22, and equating to zero:

cos(x)(cos(2x)sin(2x))=0\cos(x)(\cos(2x) - \sin(2x)) = 0 are the solutions.
Reply 11
Original post by ziu
Credits to Zen for LaTeX'ing my solution because I'm a recumbent bastard.

:colone:
Original post by davros
I think you're on the verge of "trolling" here again.
Verging on trolling?

Your method is what's known in professional circles as using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut :smile:
Given the need to weed out false solutions due to squaring etc., it's more akin to using a sledgehammer to crush a walnut into crumbs, and then having to spend half an hour trying to separate pieces of shell from pieces of nut...
Reply 13
Original post by arkanm
Too mainstream for me.

qtsie tootsie xxx
Original post by ziu
qtsie tootsie xxx

Reply 15
Original post by davros
Look in your formula book!

You have formulae for cos A + cos B and sin A + sin B which will help you enormously :smile:

Original post by DFranklin
As already suggested, a veteran like *me* would get to this point in one line using the sum/product formulae.

Thanks I did a bit of research on the sum formulae and managed to do the question correctly! :smile:

This may seem like a stupid question but do we use the sum formulae when we have sinx +/- siny where x and y are different? i.e. x= 2θ 2\theta y=57θ 57\theta (so does it work for all amounts of theta or does it break down anywhere).

Finally, we had cosθ+cos3θ=sinθ+sin3θ \cos \theta + \cos 3\theta = \sin \theta + \sin 3\theta , would this method work if we had different amounts of theta on each side?

This may seem like a stupid question but do we use the sum formulae when we have sinx +/- siny where x and y are different? i.e. x= 2θ 2\theta y=57θ 57\theta (so does it work for all amounts of theta or does it break down anywhere).

Finally, we had cosθ+cos3θ=sinθ+sin3θ \cos \theta + \cos 3\theta = \sin \theta + \sin 3\theta , would this method work if we had different amounts of theta on each side?

Yes to the first one.

Depends on the values for the second one.

However, if you haven't covered the sum/product formulae, you probably aren't meant to use them. Your original method would work, but it looks as if you made an algebraic slip somewhere.
Reply 17
Thanks I did a bit of research on the sum formulae and managed to do the question correctly! :smile:

Not quite sure what you're asking!

The formulae you have for sin A + sin B etc are identities - they are true for any values of A and B (and therefore for any multiples of theta).

If you mean could you get an equation like sin A + sin B = cos C + cos D that you couldn't solve because A, B, C, D didn't combine to give nice numbers, then that's possible - but it won't happen in an exam - they'll choose "nice" angles that let you solve the problem!
Reply 18
Yes to the first one.

Depends on the values for the second one.

However, if you haven't covered the sum/product formulae, you probably aren't meant to use them. Your original method would work, but it looks as if you made an algebraic slip somewhere.

Original post by davros
Not quite sure what you're asking!

The formulae you have for sin A + sin B etc are identities - they are true for any values of A and B (and therefore for any multiples of theta).

If you mean could you get an equation like sin A + sin B = cos C + cos D that you couldn't solve because A, B, C, D didn't combine to give nice numbers, then that's possible - but it won't happen in an exam - they'll choose "nice" angles that let you solve the problem!

Thank you both for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest