The Student Room Group

I'm sick of 'Are My Grades Good Enough For Medicine' Threads.

Fair enough if you're borderline. But I always see threads where someone hasn't done particularly well - for medicine, not in the grand scheme of things - and I just think, can't you work it out for yourself?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Edminzodo
Fair enough if you're borderline. But I always see threads where someone hasn't done particularly well - for medicine, not in the grand scheme of things - and I just think, can't you work it out for yourself?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They just want to show off:biggrin:
Original post by Rk2k14
They just want to show off:biggrin:

Exactly. And then at the opposite end of the scale, people are asking if they can get in with 10 Ds. I could never do it myself as I'm not intelligent enough, or remotely interested, but it still gets on my nerves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope none of them get into medicine.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I hope none of them get into medicine.

That's a bit harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly. And then at the opposite end of the scale, people are asking if they can get in with 10 Ds. I could never do it myself as I'm not intelligent enough, or remotely interested, but it still gets on my nerves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really have to be intelligent to get into medicine, you just have to be quite good academically
That's a bit harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't care, like, at all. I don't know why people still think I do.
I get annoyed with the elitism on this site and the over egotistic prospective med students who think they are the admissions staff, pretty much being along the lines of "If you don't have all A* you'll make a **** doctor"

I have heard of people getting A level offers for ABC and getting in with no A*, so I can't see why people are making it out that if you get little or no A* you are not intelligent and it's the be all end all of your future career.
Reply 8
I totally agree, half of these threads have people that got A* and As, I am so sure that they are showing of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by HughMyron
You don't really have to be intelligent to get into medicine, you just have to be quite good academically

I agree, I know loads of people who aren't half as intelligent as your "average" and they still got into medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Better to have someone who can respond to stressful situations and can be more observant of things than simply remembering text from a book.
Some are ridiculous, like "I got 8A*s and an A but the A was in English Language is my medicine dream over?"

Definitely some show offs though, all they ever need to look at is this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
They make me feel small haha.
I think that's a pretty unfair attitude to be honest. If you come from an academic environment or you spend a lot of time on TSR then the answer is going to be obvious. But if you're from a place where people don't get into courses like Medicine, how would you know? Yes, some of them probably do want to show off but a lot of them genuinely don't know or just want assurance. You don't need to respond to them if they annoy you.
Reply 14
What they forget is that personality is just as important as the academic side in a career like medicine. People should emphasise that more often.

Quick Reply

Latest