The Student Room Group

Why should Health Professionals not smoke marijuana?

Marijuana is slowly becoming more and more accepted in today's society.
You can see that in the United States, certain states such as Colorado and Washington have legalized the use of marijuana. Perhaps there will be more to follow. Some provinces in Canada are also leading to a somewhat legalization (It feels like!).

I am not Pro-weed nor do I despise it; I think this is an interesting matter.
What's your take on this?

Should health professionals NOT smoke marijuana because of the reputation they must carry? Or is it because of health reasons? Or is there something else?
Reply 1
quite a lot of lawyers/doctors smoke da 'erb, you would be surprised
its a personal choice, and im sure they are smart enough to weigh up the pro's/cons and make their own logical decision.
Better that than drinking/smoking.
Reply 3
Original post by Vixen47
Better that than drinking/smoking.

:lol:

Oh yeah, I mean cigarettes. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Vixen47
:lol:

Oh yeah, I mean cigarettes. :tongue:

weed us just as bad, if not worse for your lungs than fags
Original post by Doob

Yeah...but cigs aren't medically prescribed, weed is :smile:

:bong:
Original post by Doob

it really isn't lol. Cigs have all sorts of added chemicals that are toxic to the body. Weed has less.
Original post by Doob

It's possible to smoke a lot less weed though. Cigs are much more addictive and you are more likely to develop a dependance and chain smoke.

PLus if you are an 80 year old who smokes it to relieve joint pain. Who cares? You don't have that long left anyway.
Because they should know that vaporizing is healthier.
Original post by Doob

Original post by Doob

Reply 12
Original post by illusionz

From the NHS
[h="2"]What lung conditions is cannabis linked to?[/h] The report says that although cannabis is the world’s most widely used illicit drug, there is surprisingly little research into its effects on lung health, with far less reseacrh into the effects of cannabis smoke than tobacco smoke. However, it says there is now research showing that the active component, THC, can suppress the immune system and that cannabis smokers may be at risk of:

respiratory problems such as chronic coughing, wheezing, sputum production, acute bronchitis, airway obstruction

infective lung conditions such as tuberculosis and Legionnaire’s disease

pneumothorax (collapsed lung)

lung cancer one study, which was widely quoted in the papers, suggested that smoking just one cannabis cigarette a day for one year increases the risk of developing lung cancer by a similar amount to smoking 20 tobacco cigarettes for the same period. It concluded that 5% of lung cancers in those aged 55 or under may be caused by smoking cannabis.

However, the report points out that there is a lack of conclusive evidence as to the possible effect that smoking cannabis has on lung function and the risk of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). There is evidence that smoking cannabis with tobacco leads to a greater risk of COPD than smoking tobacco alone.'

Quick Reply

Latest