The Student Room Group

Guys - does this happen when you're with your gf?

Incidents that are upsetting me. (1) My boyfriend relocated this July to the outskirts of London to be close to his workplace, but has started commuting back to Central London and staying with me -- because it's kinda hard being apart after living together for 2 years and also because zone 6+ is a little boring/quiet. He was telling his colleagues that the 1.5-hour train every morning and evening before and after work to central "isn't that bad", and that it was worth it because he loves London. One of his colleague replied, "Stop bull****ting us, we know why you go back to London, it's to f**** your girlfriend." They all found it hilarious and when he complained, the reply was "Sorry man, we're just jealous." (2) Yesterday I was walking back home with my boyfriend (just felt like picking him up from work) and a white van drove past honking and giving him the thumbs up through the passenger window. I felt so embarrassed for him, presumably this is harassment as it made me feel so uncomfortable and my boyfriend was yet again offended. (3) I visited my boyfriend at work on Monday as I was desperate to get a tour of his new offices. I shook hands with and said hi to some of his friends. Five minutes later two of them were discussing me as though I'm nothing but a sex object, saying I was "one hot girlfriend". All I want to know is -- guys -- does stuff like this happen to you when with your girlfriend? Shouldn't this sort of objectifying, embarrassing stuff have ended when I entered a relationship? Are people for some reason just really disrespectful of me and my boyfriend or is this normal? I just feel constantly targeted and want to know if for some reason people just don't think my boyfriend and I deserve to be treated fairly. My boyfriend would never comment like that about a girl in a relationship, so why is it happening to us?

Scroll to see replies

Happened to me wiv my ex so i stopped bringing her around ppl because i kept getting comment like: 'is that ur ting yeah' 'ra ur banging that' 'mate shes way to hot for you' 'i bet her sex game is banging' n yeah that was really embarrassing especially when shes right next to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LaKreeDubs
Happened to me wiv my ex so i stopped bringing her around ppl because i kept getting comment like: 'is that ur ting yeah' 'ra ur banging that' 'mate shes way to hot for you' 'i bet her sex game is banging' n yeah that was really embarrassing especially when shes right next to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. :frown: So there's just no escaping it? It's come to the point where I won't wear high heels or nice clothes when I'm with my boyfriend even though I usually wear heels 24/7 and take a lot of effort to look elegant and pretty. I'm so afraid of drawing unwanted attention when with him. I've been wolf whistled at while with him too. :frown:
Lol the few times it did happen with my ex I can tell she didn't even notice it. Inside I was so embarrassed, not cos I had a hot girlfriend, but just the way your mindset changes when you're in a relationship rather than single.

Now I'm single again I'd probably be the objectifying d*** to my mates who have gfs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Stickman
Lol the few times it did happen with my ex I can tell she didn't even notice it. Inside I was so embarrassed, not cos I had a hot girlfriend, but just the way your mindset changes when you're in a relationship rather than single.

Now I'm single again I'd probably be the objectifying d*** to my mates who have gfs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair I always pretend not to notice. He'll say something like "did that guy just wolf whistle at you?" And I'll play dumb, claiming I didn't hear a thing. Same with the white van honking at us yesterday. My issue is I've started dressing down when I'm around him in public but really don't want to have to do that. I'm just scared my boyfriend will eventually suggest I'm asking for it by dressing up all the time.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. :frown: So there's just no escaping it? It's come to the point where I won't wear high heels or nice clothes when I'm with my boyfriend even though I usually wear heels 24/7 and take a lot of effort to look elegant and pretty. I'm so afraid of drawing unwanted attention when with him. I've been wolf whistled at while with him too. :frown:

hmm it could have to do with what your wearing as well, are you wearing highly revealing clothing?
Reply 6
Original post by a10
hmm it could have to do with what your wearing as well, are you wearing highly revealing clothing?

NO!!!! That's the issue, I really don't!!!! :frown:

I'll wear skinny jeans (all girls wear them), a simple blouse, small nude heels. That's my daily look. Simple and elegant. The jeans make it hot, but the top is always casual/formal enough to be worn with black trousers for work so as you can imagine it's never revealing. I put a lot of effort into looking elegant, not "hot".
Reply 7
NO!!!! That's the issue, I really don't!!!! :frown:

I'll wear skinny jeans (all girls wear them), a simple blouse, small nude heels. That's my daily look. Simple and elegant. The jeans make it hot, but the top is always casual/formal enough to be worn with black trousers for work so as you can imagine it's never revealing. I put a lot of effort into looking elegant, not "hot".

That seems okay to me! They are probably just dickhead friends tbh. None of my friend's would say that sorta stuff out loud in front of my gf, in private though maybe but just as a joke lol
That's weird. Probably people who think they are close friends when in fact they aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be fair I always pretend not to notice. He'll say something like "did that guy just wolf whistle at you?" And I'll play dumb, claiming I didn't hear a thing. Same with the white van honking at us yesterday. My issue is I've started dressing down when I'm around him in public but really don't want to have to do that. I'm just scared my boyfriend will eventually suggest I'm asking for it by dressing up all the time.

Seriously don't try and change yourself. It'll play badly for him. If you do that he'll think you're not as confident in yourself. Dw about it. I'm guessing you're late teens early twenties? If so then you're bound to be in the company of much mature people later in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a10
That seems okay to me! They are probably just dickhead friends tbh. None of my friend's would say that sorta stuff out loud in front of my gf, in private though maybe but just as a joke lol

My boyfriend has once complained that I should dress "less provocatively" but I get defensive about it. Seriously, I can't just stop being an attractive, young woman -- after all, isn't that why he's dating me? As I said in my previous post I do make an effort to strike a balance between hot and elegant, but there are certain things I can't do anything about. I get a lot of compliments from my friends about having really nice, long legs and a nice bum -- so dresses/jeans automatically look a lot more "revealing" on me than they would on someone else if that makes sense. For example, if I purchase a dress that's supposed to reach the knee, it will look as though it's ending a lot higher up my leg just because they're longer. I've made that mistake before and so don't even wear dresses anymore. I live in skinny jeans -- they're not a great alternative since they hug my legs and show off their shape, but I'm not willing to do more than I already do to look less attractive. I think showing cleavage is unclassy so my blouses have always been cute but conservative. There are certain steps I can take to avoid unwanted attention, but I can't stop being a woman.
Seriously don't try and change yourself. It'll play badly for him. If you do that he'll think you're not as confident in yourself. Dw about it. I'm guessing you're late teens early twenties? If so then you're bound to be in the company of much mature people later in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to continue dressing in tight jeans, nice heels, conservative tops. But then I can guarantee I'll get harassed in some way at least once a day (wolf whistle, car honk, sleazy comment from someone walking by). I hate how self conscious I've become. Out of interest, how do you think my boyfriend should be reacting? He's usually very chill about it since there's nothing he can do, but on occasion he'll get really pissed off. He has once blamed it on me, but apologised afterwards when I told him I couldn't stop from being young or attractive, and that I already dressed modestly.
The guys don't come across cultured, they're objectifying you. Have your bf to take a stronger stand at work to put them in their place so they don't talk about women/you like that!
I want to continue dressing in tight jeans, nice heels, conservative tops. But then I can guarantee I'll get harassed in some way at least once a day (wolf whistle, car honk, sleazy comment from someone walking by). I hate how self conscious I've become. Out of interest, how do you think my boyfriend should be reacting? He's usually very chill about it since there's nothing he can do, but on occasion he'll get really pissed off. He has once blamed it on me, but apologised afterwards when I told him I couldn't stop from being young or attractive, and that I already dressed modestly.

Lol I can tell he probably secretly feels proud inside about the attention you're getting and the fact that you're his gf. I know that's how I felt.

He's acting fine. He just needs to be chill about it. No need to be angry or whatever. If he's a tough guy and really wants to let it out and I wouldn't encourage it but he has the option of confronting the person who did that. But then that could all end badly unnecessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
My boyfriend has once complained that I should dress "less provocatively" but I get defensive about it. Seriously, I can't just stop being an attractive, young woman -- after all, isn't that why he's dating me? As I said in my previous post I do make an effort to strike a balance between hot and elegant, but there are certain things I can't do anything about. I get a lot of compliments from my friends about having really nice, long legs and a nice bum -- so dresses/jeans automatically look a lot more "revealing" on me than they would on someone else if that makes sense. For example, if I purchase a dress that's supposed to reach the knee, it will look as though it's ending a lot higher up my leg just because they're longer. I've made that mistake before and so don't even wear dresses anymore. I live in skinny jeans -- they're not a great alternative since they hug my legs and show off their shape, but I'm not willing to do more than I already do to look less attractive. I think showing cleavage is unclassy so my blouses have always been cute but conservative. There are certain steps I can take to avoid unwanted attention, but I can't stop being a woman.

That's understandable

From what you have said I would just say try to avoid meeting his friends regularly or less often this can help with the embarrassment as you won't be encountering them and having to worry about feeling awkward.
(edited 9 years ago)
Honestly, my boyfriend loves that sort of thing. It sounds like your experience is worse than mine but I don't mind that much myself - maybe because I've vaguely known the people doing it usually and it's never been to the point where I feel they don't recognise I'm a person or whatever.

It sounds like you have some issues with your boyfriend to be honest. You shouldn't have to lie about noticing the attention! Is that to try to make it seem like nothing? Sounds like you're a bit afraid of him. And his temper doesn't sound great. Nor does his blaming you, although at least he apologised for that. He sounds quite possessive though.
Tldr- Wants attention but gets offended by it.

I do wonder if people stopped getting offended by the smallest things that one could easily take as a compliment that tsr would be so much less busy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, my boyfriend loves that sort of thing. It sounds like your experience is worse than mine but I don't mind that much myself - maybe because I've vaguely known the people doing it usually and it's never been to the point where I feel they don't recognise I'm a person or whatever.

It sounds like you have some issues with your boyfriend to be honest. You shouldn't have to lie about noticing the attention! Is that to try to make it seem like nothing? Sounds like you're a bit afraid of him. And his temper doesn't sound great. Nor does his blaming you, although at least he apologised for that. He sounds quite possessive though.

I think I've managed to make him sound possessive in my previous posts by accident. Probably because I was feeling really annoyed at being harassed when I first made this thread. :colondollar:

The truth is he is very chill about it, but because something will happen literally every day it does OCCASIONALLY get to both of us.
Lol I can tell he probably secretly feels proud inside about the attention you're getting and the fact that you're his gf. I know that's how I felt.

He's acting fine. He just needs to be chill about it. No need to be angry or whatever. If he's a tough guy and really wants to let it out and I wouldn't encourage it but he has the option of confronting the person who did that. But then that could all end badly unnecessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this!!!! In that case I'm going to stop worrying. He's never bothered confronting someone over it. On occasions when someone's made a really crude comment he'll tell them to "f*** off" but overall he's ok. More than anything, it's just the frequency that is difficult to deal with -- something like this will happen literally EVERY day. How often did you have this problem with your girlfriend??
Original post by Inazuma
Tldr- Wants attention but gets offended by it.

I do wonder if people stopped getting offended by the smallest things that one could easily take as a compliment that tsr would be so much less busy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

they were rude tho.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending