The Student Room Group

International Acceptance Rates?

Is there a list somewhere for schools of what their acceptance rates are for international students? So far I haven't found one. I'm trying to narrow down my list of 11 schools to 5. I'm an American student currently in college wanting to transfer into year 1 at a UK school. I'm trying to decide what school to make my "reach" school and which to make my "safety" and then the ones in between.
My current list:
Birmingham
Queen's Belfast
Lancaster
Exeter
York
Nottingham
Liverpool
Southampton
Cardiff
Oxford Brookes
U of Manchester

I was thinking maybe Queen's Belfast or Oxford Brookes for my safety?
My current college GPA is only 3.17 but I graduated high school with a 3.79 and had a 1910 on the SAT and 28 on the ACT, so decent grade and scores.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D_ecrivaine
Is there a list somewhere for schools of what their acceptance rates are for international students? So far I haven't found one. I'm trying to narrow down my list of 11 schools to 5. I'm an American student currently in college wanting to transfer into year 1 at a UK school. I'm trying to decide what school to make my "reach" school and which to make my "safety" and then the ones in between.
My current list:
Birmingham
Queen's Belfast
Lancaster
Exeter
York
Nottingham
Liverpool
Southampton
Cardiff
Oxford Brookes
U of Manchester

I was thinking maybe Queen's Belfast or Oxford Brookes for my safety?
My current college GPA is only 3.17 but I graduated high school with a 3.79 and had a 1910 on the SAT and 28 on the ACT, so decent grade and scores.

I've never seen a list. All I know is they usually love international students because we pay so much. Have you started filling out your UCAS?
Original post by Coffeetime
I've never seen a list. All I know is they usually love international students because we pay so much. Have you started filling out your UCAS?

Hmm ok. No I haven't yet. I still haven't figured out who to get a reference letter from...
Hmm ok. No I haven't yet. I still haven't figured out who to get a reference letter from...

One of your professors?
One of your professors?

Maybe but I don't feel like I really knew any of them well enough..Well at least they didn't know me really. I was thinking my anthropology teacher but there were maybe 50 kids in that class she probably wouldn't remember me. My News Writing class was very small but I don't know if I really even stood out because I didn't share my writing as much as most people (I was shy).
Maybe but I don't feel like I really knew any of them well enough..Well at least they didn't know me really. I was thinking my anthropology teacher but there were maybe 50 kids in that class she probably wouldn't remember me. My News Writing class was very small but I don't know if I really even stood out because I didn't share my writing as much as most people (I was shy).

Understandable. I asked my French professor from this past year. Do you have a job? You could ask your boss.
Understandable. I asked my French professor from this past year. Do you have a job? You could ask your boss.

Oh, I didn't even think of my French professor!
I thought you weren't allowed to ask employers though
Oh, I didn't even think of my French professor!
I thought you weren't allowed to ask employers though

I'm pretty sure you can, they just prefer someone who knows you academically. Yep. I just checked. It can be an employer. I was surprised at how fast I got mine. I contacted my reference over the weekend to ask if I could use her, sent the official ucas request yesterday morning, and received an email while at work last night that they received the reference!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure you can, they just prefer someone who knows you academically. Yep. I just checked. It can be an employer. I was surprised at how fast I got mine. I contacted my reference over the weekend to ask if I could use her, sent the official ucas request yesterday morning, and received an email while at work last night that they received the reference!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weird... I've been in contact with people from Across the Pond and they told me no employers. Maybe their application is different from UCAS?
Weird... I've been in contact with people from Across the Pond and they told me no employers. Maybe their application is different from UCAS?

That's weird for sure. I contacted them, but I didn't like that they wanted access to my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's weird for sure. I contacted them, but I didn't like that they wanted access to my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I know they're a trustworthy company, I only heard about them through a link on the website of a school I was looking at. But they keep emailing me to check in.. It's getting a bit annoying....:angry:
Well I know they're a trustworthy company, I only heard about them through a link on the website of a school I was looking at. But they keep emailing me to check in.. It's getting a bit annoying....:angry:

Wow. I had to wait a couple of days to even get a response from them. I've read good things, but my application contains things like my address, phone number and passport number. I don't feel comfortable sharing that with just anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow. I had to wait a couple of days to even get a response from them. I've read good things, but my application contains things like my address, phone number and passport number. I don't feel comfortable sharing that with just anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's taken that long for me but I've accidentally had two different reps contact me and then one didn't reply for a week or so then recontacted me and the emails are sooo long with all this information. He was saying to just go to the site and login then open the application so I'm not sure if it's their application or not. But that makes sense.
Yeah it's taken that long for me but I've accidentally had two different reps contact me and then one didn't reply for a week or so then recontacted me and the emails are sooo long with all this information. He was saying to just go to the site and login then open the application so I'm not sure if it's their application or not. But that makes sense.

They just really want to help you! At this point, I have most things figured out anyway, it's just I had a few questions. Have you decided on all five choices? I know you were really interested in Scottish unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They just really want to help you! At this point, I have most things figured out anyway, it's just I had a few questions. Have you decided on all five choices? I know you were really interested in Scottish unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha well I guess their job is to get us to apply...
Nooo I have a list of 11ish.
Yeah I'm kind torn about Scottish unis... Really like the idea of going to them but at least for Edinburgh which I was going to make my reach school I would need to be accepted to year 2 and it's already a reach school so I was thinking what's the point, because I probably wouldn't even be considered for year 2. Then I was still looking at Aberdeen because it seemed more likely I could be accepted to year 2 and even if I wasn't they offer the 4th year free to international students (so either way I'd be paying 3 years tuition). But then again tbh Aberdeen just doesn't rank as well as most of the schools on my list. I guess it could be my safety school though...
Ughh I just don't know how to narrow the list down! And now I'm worried that AP scores will be too important to the schools and my college performance thus far has only been mediocre, so what if they wouldn't accept me anyway?
Haha well I guess their job is to get us to apply...
Nooo I have a list of 11ish.
Yeah I'm kind torn about Scottish unis... Really like the idea of going to them but at least for Edinburgh which I was going to make my reach school I would need to be accepted to year 2 and it's already a reach school so I was thinking what's the point, because I probably wouldn't even be considered for year 2. Then I was still looking at Aberdeen because it seemed more likely I could be accepted to year 2 and even if I wasn't they offer the 4th year free to international students (so either way I'd be paying 3 years tuition). But then again tbh Aberdeen just doesn't rank as well as most of the schools on my list. I guess it could be my safety school though...
Ughh I just don't know how to narrow the list down! And now I'm worried that AP scores will be too important to the schools and my college performance thus far has only been mediocre, so what if they wouldn't accept me anyway?

Don't think negative thoughts! I'm generally a very pessimistic person, but when it comes to this whole experience, I've remained positive. From what I've seen, a lot of unis want a 3.0 from American students. You exceed that. And because you aren't straight out of high school, AP's won't matter quite as much. Plus universities love our money. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think negative thoughts! I'm generally a very pessimistic person, but when it comes to this whole experience, I've remained positive. From what I've seen, a lot of unis want a 3.0 from American students. You exceed that. And because you aren't straight out of high school, AP's won't matter quite as much. Plus universities love our money. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay :smile: lol I'm just worried because I want this so bad!!!
I still don't know how to narrow my list down though..I want my school to be well known, but less expensive is also tempting.
I saw on one site that Birmingham, Queen's Belfast and Lancaster were considered "best value" schools but I guess that's for UK tuition.
I just wanted to say hi to my fellow Americans. I read on the Americans considering Uni in the UK thread that Edinburgh will accept any international applicant that meets the minimum requirements. Except for medicine of course. That statement came from Edinburgh themselves. As for Across the Pond I am using them. My advisor is great and I actually have sent off my application already. I found them mostly helpful when it came to my personal statement and my letter of reference. The emails get shorter don't worry lol.
Now to wrap up this giant post. I am a Community College student and will be getting my associates this year :ahee:. My GPA is 3.17 too. I did do AP test in High School but no SAT or ACT (I knew I was going to a CC). Nice to meet you guys.
Original post by yourgirlbribri
I just wanted to say hi to my fellow Americans. I read on the Americans considering Uni in the UK thread that Edinburgh will accept any international applicant that meets the minimum requirements. Except for medicine of course. That statement came from Edinburgh themselves. As for Across the Pond I am using them. My advisor is great and I actually have sent off my application already. I found them mostly helpful when it came to my personal statement and my letter of reference. The emails get shorter don't worry lol.
Now to wrap up this giant post. I am a Community College student and will be getting my associates this year :ahee:. My GPA is 3.17 too. I did do AP test in High School but no SAT or ACT (I knew I was going to a CC). Nice to meet you guys.

Wow, it seems like our situations are very similar! So you applied to Edinburgh? Where else? Thanks for replying to my thread :biggrin:
Wow, it seems like our situations are very similar! So you applied to Edinburgh? Where else? Thanks for replying to my thread :biggrin:

I didn't apply to Edinburgh, sorry for the confusion I just new that info.
I applied to
University of Kent
University of Sheffield
Brunel University
University of Winchester
I left my 5th choice open because I am waiting to hear back for Loughborough if it is worth my time to apply. However, I think I am going to apply to Oxford Brookes instead. Kent is my first choice though. I am applying for Drama and English by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending