The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to secure a training contract

Hi everyone,

I know law is competitive but I was wondering actually how hard it is to actually be offered a training contract with all law firms in general and then how difficult it is to be offered one in top law firms such as Slaughter and May.
Is it as difficult to get into as other professions such as investment banking?
Does anyone know any estimates of applicants to offers?
Reply 1
Original post by harry218
Hi everyone,

I know law is competitive but I was wondering actually how hard it is to actually be offered a training contract with all law firms in general and then how difficult it is to be offered one in top law firms such as Slaughter and May.
Is it as difficult to get into as other professions such as investment banking?
Does anyone know any estimates of applicants to offers?

All I will offer is that if this is your focus when trying to get a TC, you have the wrong focus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I see thanks, i'm still at sixth form predicted BBC, which was why I was asking about the competitiveness as i am interested in becoming a corporate solicitor and especially that slaughter and may state you're not required to be an AAA grade student so I just wanted to see whether my goals were unrealistic.
Reply 3
with BBC, you have little to no chance at SM. Even though they may not want AAA, i think the minimum is AAB. Any candidates with grades under are simply filtered out. Also a lot of people who do apply have grades exceeding even AAA and have gone to top universities. SM and other magic circle firms, are too high an aspiration for you... no offence.
I highly doubt you'd have a shot at Slaughters with BBC- the firm is known for being very strict with their marks and prefer a high 2:1s/1st. Not demanding AAA is just a nice way of saying AAB is fine. Competition for City firms is fierce and AAB is the minimum required. Unless you have some serious mitigating circumstances you'll probably be sifted out by HR on academics alone.

Focus on getting at least AAB (or even ABB for DLA Piper) before you even consider corporate law. This all sounds harsh but I'm afraid this is the reality.
Ah I see, thanks for the advice, I picked fairly hard A levels which was my mistake as I thought that if I could come out with a B in maths/economics it would look better than someone with an A*/A in an "easier subject". I would try my best to come out with AAC despite my AS grades low BBC and hopefully that will be enough for the application stage of MC firms
Reply 6
what subjects do you do?
Original post by harry218
Ah I see, thanks for the advice, I picked fairly hard A levels which was my mistake as I thought that if I could come out with a B in maths/economics it would look better than someone with an A*/A in an "easier subject". I would try my best to come out with AAC despite my AS grades low BBC and hopefully that will be enough for the application stage of MC firms

Given you can still change this and it may serve as motivation, it won't be.
Reply 8
All I'll add to what's been said is that if you are applying with predictions of BBC, but think you're capable of AAC take a year out to re apply. The University you go to is more important than the A-Levels, in some respects. For example, if you got into an ex-polytechnic with your BBC predictions, but achieved A*A*A* in the end, and still went to that University, you would be at a disadvantage compared to someone with AAC who went to a decent Russell Group University.
Ok thank you for the advice, I think ill take a gap year in that case I hope to go nottingham. I know doing a law degree isn't necessary so I was thinking maybe civil/mechanical engineering as they are meant to be a really respected degrees and to get a 2:1 in that would be impressive no? or accountancy/finance as that is exam heavy and law firms look for people who can perform well in exams? share your opinions
Original post by J-SP
I would choose a degree subject you want to study and will enjoy not just one that you think will get you into a legal career.

Yes engineering or accountancy/finance degrees are well respected, but the reality is the proportion of people who study these subject who then choose law as a career is ridiculously small. It's probably to do with the nature of the way these degrees are learnt and the lack of correlation across to a career in law. The usual non-law subjects you see in the legal profession are English, Languages, History, Politics (although I have seen everything from Music, Sports Science, Architecture, Pyschology, Chemical Engineering).

The reason you see more Arts/Social Sciences subjects is because their focus is on writing and research so it develops similar skills to those a lawyer will use.

Law firms won't have any preference for exams or essay based subjects/courses though, as ultimately both types of assessments will be relevant in terms of the skills they develop that will help in the career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the great advice, I can see what you mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending