The Student Room Group

Alternative to Further maths

Hi, I am currently taking Maths, further maths. physics and computing (all being A levels). If i do decided to go to uni it would be to do computer science, with a preferable choice of UCL.

At my school, they haven't got a timetabled session for further maths, all i have is a guy coming for 2 hours one day and then a video conference with him on another day. This seems like a lot of hassle and being on my own (as the only other guy wants to drop it already) i'm considering doing the same.

Is it really worth it? even just the AS? I would most likely drop it after AS.

The only alternative really is Electronics A level, it definitely wouldn't be a better option but would it be of any use at all?
Original post by B.Carmine
Hi, I am currently taking Maths, further maths. physics and computing (all being A levels). If i do decided to go to uni it would be to do computer science, with a preferable choice of UCL.

At my school, they haven't got a timetabled session for further maths, all i have is a guy coming for 2 hours one day and then a video conference with him on another day. This seems like a lot of hassle and being on my own (as the only other guy wants to drop it already) i'm considering doing the same.

Is it really worth it? even just the AS? I would most likely drop it after AS.

The only alternative really is Electronics A level, it definitely wouldn't be a better option but would it be of any use at all?

Further Maths isn't required (at least not for UCL) but it definitely would be an advantage. I'm not entirely sure the extent to which you'd be disadvantaging yourself by not doing it but if you think doing Further Maths is going to be hell or you don't think you'll do well with the school's provision, I'd suggest doing something else. Electronics definitely isn't as useful as Further Maths. If you think you'd enjoy then I'd take it - it's definitely not a bad decision - but obviously in an ideal world, Further Maths would be the best thing to take.

Quick Reply

Latest