The Student Room Group

I don't drink alcohol, are my uni flat mates gonna think I'm a bore & problem?

I don't drink alcohol and am moving out to live in uni accommodation. I know the custom before freshers events is to have pre drinks and get ready and then go to freshers events and drink as well but I don't drink?Are my uni flat mates gonna find this weird and not accept me when I tell them this? What if it creates a barrier between us and they don't wanna hang out with me anymore coz they think I'm a bore? Has anyone been in this kind of situation? Either the person who doesn't drink or the flat mate that does and what happened in your situation?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lollollollollol1
I don't drink alcohol and am moving out to live in uni accommodation. I know the custom before freshers events is to have pre drinks and get ready and then go to freshers events and drink as well but I don't drink?Are my uni flat mates gonna find this weird and not accept me when I tell them this? What if it creates a barrier between us and they don't wanna hang out with me anymore coz they think I'm a bore? Has anyone been in this kind of situation? Either the person who doesn't drink or the flat mate that does and what happened in your situation?

Do you still go out? Don't think they are going to care, unless you come across as if you look down on them for drinking or think of yourself as better.
Original post by ElChapo
Do you still go out? Don't think they are going to care, unless you come across as if you look down on them for drinking or think of yourself as better.

Yeah of course I still do + I'm planning on going to loads of freshers events! I'm just nervous if they offer me a drink or wanna play a drinking game - I don't know what to say? coz I feel like if I say "sorry I don't drink" they may think "ok freak"
Reply 3
Yeah of course I still do + I'm planning on going to loads of freshers events! I'm just nervous if they offer me a drink or wanna play a drinking game - I don't know what to say? coz I feel like if I say "sorry I don't drink" they may think "ok freak"

They'll probably ask why you don't drink, which is a reasonable question if you ask me, and after you answer that should be that.
Original post by ElChapo
They'll probably ask why you don't drink, which is a reasonable question if you ask me, and after you answer that should be that.

And if my response were to be due to religious reasons, what would your thoughts be?
And if my response were to be due to religious reasons, what would your thoughts be?

They should be fine with that. When I was a fresher, I didn't drink out of preference, and my flat mates were okay with that.

Just drink a softdrink or something at pre-drinking events.
Most people will just ask why you don't drink out of curiosity, respect your answer & that's that.
Reply 7

I choose not to drink too (preference in my case) and I am in Uni in GLASGOW!, talk about drink central, but no, just dont make a big thing of it, there are other people who dont drink to too and you just have to find another person you can relate to.
If you are going to state you dont drink to people wait until they like you for you and then say, as they likely wont mind at that point and will see you as fun regardless :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

Your best bet is to not mention that, unless you know they are religious themselves as it will either give the wrong impression of yourself or it could potentially become the butt of jokes.

Your best bet is to just kindly refuse the offer of alcohol, and stay with them.
By that I mean just sit with them and drink coke or other soft drink so it looks like you don't seem socially awkward, left out or are just being difficult.

Good luck.

Rabbit!
Reply 9

should be fine with that, and if they aren't you should ask yourself why the hell you're still trying to fit in with them...
Original post by ElChapo

Why is it a reasonable question? If a person makes a sensible life choice why do people have the right to question them? Is it because of some repressed jealousy or delusion that getting drunk is somehow remotely intelligent or clever?
Original post by Academic Elitist
Why is it a reasonable question? If a person makes a sensible life choice why do people have the right to question them? Is it because of some repressed jealousy or delusion that getting drunk is somehow remotely intelligent or clever?

Drinking can be enjoyable in moderation, so if one chooses not to partake I think it's reasonable to ask why. It would be like if someone said no I don't eat McDonald's I'd probably ask why.

Only someone awkward like you would take the question personally and get defensive.
Original post by ElChapo
Drinking can be enjoyable in moderation, so if one chooses not to partake I think it's reasonable to ask why. It would be like if someone said no I don't eat McDonald's I'd probably ask why.

Only someone awkward like you would take the question personally and get defensive.

Awkward? I get defensive because people blithely assume that I engage in the same shallow "fun" activities that they partake in.
Awkward? I get defensive because people blithely assume that I engage in the same shallow "fun" activities that they partake in.

Yeah I could tell you were going to be a bag of fun when I read your username, night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Yeah I could tell you were going to be a bag of fun when I read your username, night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What has fun got to do with anything?
Reply 15
I don't understand the idea that people who don't drink are boring. I have no problem with people drinking alcohol, but if that's the only thing that separates you from the 'boring' non-drinkers then maybe you weren't that interesting to begin with.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. You can still go out - just drink something different.
Original post by Redbird.
I don't understand the idea that people who don't drink are boring. I have no problem with people drinking alcohol, but if that's the only thing that separates you from the 'boring' non-drinkers then maybe you weren't that interesting to begin with.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. You can still go out - just drink something different.

I don't see how non-drinkers are usually more boring either. It's more likely that drinkers are boring and compensate by lowering their inhibitions so they can act like idiots and entertain others...

Nice of this guy to show you how not to make friends or act around people drinking alcohol :smile:
I don't see how non-drinkers are usually more boring either. It's more likely that drinkers are boring and compensate by lowering their inhibitions so they can act like idiots and entertain others...

Funny you should say that. Most of the people who i know that don't drink are recluses or fanatically religious. hardly my idea of a bag of laughs where as all of the funniest and nicest people i know drink.

I have no idea where people get the idea that alcohol makes boring people fun from, in my experience alcohol amplifies people's personalities. horrible people become violent and nice people become hilarious.

I'm not going to lie. if I met OP and he/she didn't drink for religious reasons I would subconsciously mark them as a person to avoid.
Reply 19
It always boils down to

-If you don't rub it in their faces, they might like you

-If you rub it in their faces, they won't like you

-The only way to ensure they will like you for not drinking is to stop not drinking and drink, in which case they might dislike you for a different reason

Quick Reply