The Student Room Group

Homophobic black people

Why do they get angry when homophobia is compared to racism against black people specifically in America during the civil rights era?

They say "how dare you, it's not the same, our skin colour can be seen whereas gays can hide their sexuality" which ironically exposes their homophobia. They don't realise that the whole point of discrimination is that the discriminator does not care about your feelings at all. White people were oblivious to the humanity of black people, which is what perpetuated the racism. Black people failing to recognize the struggle of gays is completely the same as white people failing to recognize the struggle of blacks because what is the same about both scenarios is the the oppressor simply doesn't care.

Vidoes the like this are in the plenty on youtube

[video="youtube;awXqNMghmos"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXqNMghmos[/video]

"Gays weren't told to sit on the back of bus" etc bla bla

A white guy from Texas in the 1920s could probably come up with just as many excuses as to why black people aren't free in society.

Scroll to see replies

"Why do they"

Who's "they"? One black guy has a rant so every black person is condemned?
It's true that people from ethnic minorities tend to be more homophobic than white people, best to just ignore people like this.
Reply 3
The question is whya re white people so pro-gay?

Are they more susceptible to propaganda and more easily indoctrinated?

It appears this way.
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
"Why do they"

Who's "they"? One black guy has a rant so every black person is condemned?

The title says HOMOPHOBIC BLACK PEOPLE not black people. There are many black gays who agree with the fact that discrimination is discrimination and not only heterosexual black suffering is the only legitimate type of suffering. there were black gays in the civil rights era too you know
completely hypocritical and I always wonder that myself...
The only way to eradicate people like is to make them shake hands with their polar opposite. In this case a Negrophobic homosexual. When they shake hands they cancel each out into oblivion.
You can hide the fact you're gay. You can't hide the colour of your skin. ????
Original post by TheTechN1304
x

Original post by yabbayabba
x

Original post by got a question
x

It's offensive to compare racism to homophobia because black people's struggles flow much, much deeper and they certainly resonate beyond someone's sexual preference.

You can hide your sexuality you cannot hide your skin colour.

Black people were enslaved gay people have not.

Black people can't choose to be white but gay people can choose to be straight.
"You're looking pretty good for a 150 year old guy"

-Bill Cosby on slavery
Original post by perfectsymbology
"You're looking pretty good for a 150 year old guy"

-Bill Cosby on slavery

That's messed up
Why?
Original post by Marky Mark
It's offensive to compare racism to homophobia because black people's struggles flow much, much deeper and they certainly resonate beyond someone's sexual preference.

if you were gay you would realise that gay people can't choose to be straight...also, no one should have to hide who they are, so your point is invalid.
Original post by SickBrah
The question is whya re white people so pro-gay?

Are they more susceptible to propaganda and more easily indoctrinated?

It appears this way.

This white person is pro-gay because he realises a few things:
1) A man putting his winky in another man's bumhole doesn't matter to anything, as icky a concept as that is to a straight man's mind. It's completely trivial and I can handle the knowledge that it's going on in the bedrooms of consenting adults even if it's the last thing I want to be involved in myself.
2) It's not like gay people choose it any more than straight people choose straightness. I've known I was straight since I was 4 years old, I just automatically found girls pretty. I couldn't switch that off even if I wanted to.
3) Grown adults should get to do as they please until it starts harming someone else, which this doesn't.
4) Being pro-gay is raising a middle finger towards religion.

Today's black people have not been enslaved. That's dead people's baggage, quit carrying it.

.. What. Gay people can't 'choose' to be straight.

And yes OP, I've noticed that black people tend to be more homophobic than white people. My entire family is homophobic- I'm the only one with any sense :rolleyes:
Original post by TheTechN1304
if you were gay you would realise that gay people can't choose to be straight...also, no one should have to hide who they are, so your point is invalid.

Exactly! You just agreed with me. Unfortunately while gay people have a choice to whether they want to disclose their sexuality black people are not afforded that same luxury.

I also didn't say that being gay was a choice. I, like the scientific community am unsure whether it's indeed genetic or environmental right now there's not enough proof.

What I said was that gay people can ignore their gay feelings and lead a heterosexual life and many gay men do this while even fathering children. Black people again can't turn themselves white.

You are going to have to do better than that. :smile:

Agreed with you until that last, rather disturbing, sentence.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Today's black people have not been enslaved. That's dead people's baggage, quit carrying it.

We are all slaves - and it's a different kind of cotton we're pickin'.
Reply 19
Exactly! You just agreed with me. Unfortunately while gay people have a choice to whether they want to disclose their sexuality black people are not afforded that same luxury.

I also didn't say that being gay was a choice. I, like the scientific community am unsure whether it's indeed genetic or environmental right now there's not enough proof.

What I said was that gay people can ignore their gay feelings and lead a heterosexual life and many gay men do this while even fathering children. Black people again can't turn themselves white.

You are going to have to do better than that. :smile:

If I gay person can just go round being straight then surely a black person can just go round covered in whitewash? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending