The Student Room Group

2014 Singapore GP Thread

Everything here is original as usual however this this post iss obviously not as long as other races as there is less history to the circuit but I've put as much info as I can. Enjoy!

Singapore is the fourth street race on the calendar and the only full night race. This year marks its sixth year on the calendar and the beauty of the track and the city at night make for a well awaited spectacle.

However, though unknown at the time, the first race ever held at Singapore has been marred in controversy. Renault F1 team admitted to giving orders to their number 2 driver, Nelson Piquet Jnr to crash purposefully, bringing out a safety car and allowing Alonso to win, who says he had no idea of the cheat. Not only was this manipulation to win, it cost millions in damage, endangered the fans, the driver and the stewards. When the story broke a year later, Flavio Briatore was banned from the sport and Renault were allowed a few more years to race, entrusting that they were not going to cheat again.

Last year, Singapore removed its infamous "Singapore Sling" which shares its name with a famous drink and the shape. It has been altered to a left hander. This perilous corner can cause many cars to jump into the air if they did not brake correctly. Some hate it, some love it, but the corner was an interesting part of the track and did not follow suit with the endless 90 degree left and right corners that come with Singapore. Nevertheless, the track will hopefully provide a great race, as it has since 2009.

Last year, vettel grabbed pole during his run of domination and he won. The race was not all boring however, towards the end of the race, Webber's car broke down into flames causing a chaotic last few laps as they raced to the line. Fernando Alonso even picked up Webber on his cooldown lap and brought him back to the pits. Webber was however given a penalty for this due to it being incredibly dangerous while being picked up.

Here's a video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24100119 by the BBC on why Singapore is so special.

Practice 1: 11am
Practice 2: 14:30am

Practice 3: 11am
Qualifying 2am

Race 1am

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I'm gonna miss the race, so I'm gonna have to catch up. Can Hamilton carry the momentum forward or will Ros break it?

Those practise and race times look dodgy mike! 1am race start?! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
In the build up to the weekend, Bernie has announced that double points races will likely be dropped for next season.

Expecting Mercedes to lock out the front row here, however in the race Red Bull should be competitive so I could see Ricciardo being in the mix for the win.
Reply 3
Ecclestone wants three cars for next season: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115936

"I would rather see Ferrari with three cars, or any of the other top teams with three cars, than having teams that are struggling."

Sod all the people that would lose their jobs if that happened though, eh, Bernie? :angry:
Another Maldanado crash:facepalm: poor wee car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
All the swear words. Every single one.
Original post by Lib
Ecclestone wants three cars for next season: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115936

"I would rather see Ferrari with three cars, or any of the other top teams with three cars, than having teams that are struggling."

Sod all the people that would lose their jobs if that happened though, eh, Bernie? :angry:

He doesn't care about them / you. :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikejohnno
Everything here is original as usual however this this post iss obviously not as long as other races as there is less history to the circuit but I've put as much info as I can. Enjoy!

Singapore is the fourth street race on the calendar and the only full night race. This year marks its sixth year on the calendar and the beauty of the track and the city at night make for a well awaited spectacle.

However, though unknown at the time, the first race ever held at Singapore has been marred in controversy. Renault F1 team admitted to giving orders to their number 2 driver, Nelson Piquet Jnr to crash purposefully, bringing out a safety car and allowing Alonso to win, who says he had no idea of the cheat. Not only was this manipulation to win, it cost millions in damage, endangered the fans, the driver and the stewards. When the story broke a year later, Flavio Briatore was banned from the sport and Renault were allowed a few more years to race, entrusting that they were not going to cheat again.

Last year, Singapore removed its infamous "Singapore Sling" which shares its name with a famous drink and the shape. It has been altered to a left hander. This perilous corner can cause many cars to jump into the air if they did not brake correctly. Some hate it, some love it, but the corner was an interesting part of the track and did not follow suit with the endless 90 degree left and right corners that come with Singapore. Nevertheless, the track will hopefully provide a great race, as it has since 2009.

Last year, vettel grabbed pole during his run of domination and he won. The race was not all boring however, towards the end of the race, Webber's car broke down into flames causing a chaotic last few laps as they raced to the line. Fernando Alonso even picked up Webber on his cooldown lap and brought him back to the pits. Webber was however given a penalty for this due to it being incredibly dangerous while being picked up.

Here's a video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24100119 by the BBC on why Singapore is so special.

Practice 1: 11am
Practice 2: 14:30am

Practice 3: 11am
Qualifying 2am

Race 1am

Brilliant OP m8.

Should be another cracker.

I've got a gut feeling one of the Mercs will DNF this weekend, not sure which one though.
2am Saturday morning in Singapore, just arrived at the hotel. This was waiting for me... should be a good weekend!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
2am Saturday morning in Singapore, just arrived at the hotel. This was waiting for me... should be a good weekend!

Woah, sweet! Let us know how that goes and keep posting epic pics like that. :wink:

I've just checked the forecast and it looks like it's going to be wet...wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lib

I feel that this idea is perfectly in line with the cost reductions F1 is apparently going through, like the new power train and gearbox... :rolleyes:
Welcome to my home country, F1 fans. Sadly I've returned to the UK just a week before the race (to start final year of uni :frown:) so this is probably the last thing for me to experience, having lived through the pseudo-Chinese culture and the tropical climate
Could also no be running low fuel or are they just good around here
Original post by Jaydude
Woah, sweet! Let us know how that goes and keep posting epic pics like that. :wink:

I've just checked the forecast and it looks like it's going to be wet...wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

they always say it's supposed to get wet but the weather changes alot over there. I remember for two or three years at the Singapore race that there was rain predicted but it never turned up. Either that or the rain dries up quickly due to the heat.
From where I stand (or sit, rather)...
Hamilton!
Reply 16
Hamiton‼️‼️‼️
Really wanted a Ferrari or red bull on at second and third
Hope for a DNF tomorrow for Rosberg
C'mon Hamiton ✨✨✨✨

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice spot.

Did you enjoy Hamilton's lockup on his final lap?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Would you recommend Singapore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
What a finish to the session today, can't get much closer than 0.007 if you tried.

Should be a cracking race tomorrow, with Red Bull and Alonso looking competitive against the Mercedes too.

Quick Reply

Latest