The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShyBrown
The approval time doesn't take very long. I'd wait until after applying and receiving federal aid, if you're going that route, to minimize the amount you need to take out with a private loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response! I filled out my FAFSA in January (I think), but I read somewhere that I won't hear back about finances until May or so.
So, Durham let me change my course to French and History.
Probably going to firm them soon :smile:
Original post by robthehero
So, Durham let me change my course to French and History.
Probably going to firm them soon :smile:

Wait. I thought you were doing law?
Original post by ShyBrown
The approval time doesn't take very long. I'd wait until after applying and receiving federal aid, if you're going that route, to minimize the amount you need to take out with a private loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to barge in, but if FAFSA says we don't need any aid am I screwed? Because FAFSa kinda analyzes us wrong...
Original post by Coffeetime
Wait. I thought you were doing law?

I deflected over heh! I do want to ultimately practice law, but I wanted to make sure I was studying something I'm 100% passionate about at uni. I can always go back to the US for law school, or go through with the Graduate Diploma in Law (9 month course that converts your degree to a law degree) if I want to practice law in the UK. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by D_ecrivaine
Sorry to barge in, but if FAFSA says we don't need any aid am I screwed? Because FAFSa kinda analyzes us wrong...

No. There's still private loans. FAFSA won't cover everything anyway.

I deflected over heh! I do want to ultimately practice law, but I wanted to make sure I was studying something I'm 100% passionate about at uni. I can always go back to the US for law school, or go through with the Graduate Diploma in Law (9 month course that converts your degree to a law degree) if I want to practice law in the UK. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I fully support your decision to do French and History! So you're firming Durham?
No. There's still private loans. FAFSA won't cover everything anyway.

I fully support your decision to do French and History! So you're firming Durham?

Most likely. I'm also going to apply to German universities (I'm fluent in German) since they're tuition fee free. The stupid thing is that their application period opens in like a month, so if a German uni accepts me, I'll most likely go to one of those. But Durham's course is so great too, ahh I'm so indecisive hah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most likely. I'm also going to apply to German universities (I'm fluent in German) since they're tuition fee free. The stupid thing is that their application period opens in like a month, so if a German uni accepts me, I'll most likely go to one of those. But Durham's course is so great too, ahh I'm so indecisive hah

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of Germany for my masters....or France because I speak (ish) French

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is so exciting! How is it free? I'm envious of you though!

I was thinking of Germany for my masters....or France because I speak (ish) French

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking Italy for mine.

I wonder if the credits/degree from a UK school would be easier to interpret than those from an American school...Like if there would be an advantage to going to school in the UK for taking a European master's.
I wonder if the credits/degree from a UK school would be easier to interpret than those from an American school...Like if there would be an advantage to going to school in the UK for taking a European master's.

I'm not sure. I assume plenty of universities have had students from all over the world and know how to read various transcripts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure. I assume plenty of universities have had students from all over the world and know how to read various transcripts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but I wonder if US degrees have a different "value" than others, like how some US students have to take a foundation year in the UK
True, but I wonder if US degrees have a different "value" than others, like how some US students have to take a foundation year in the UK

I'm not sure. I think of a foundation year kind of like an associates degree. Only you don't get credit for it. I think at the end of the day, a degree is a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(almost) All universities in Germany are public and free. Germany, unlike some places, *cough* America. It'd be great to graduate completely debt free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(almost) All universities in Germany are public and free. Germany, unlike some places, *cough* America. It'd be great to graduate completely debt free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty awesome! What will you apply for at those universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's pretty awesome! What will you apply for at those universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most likely Political Science with French, and I'll either go to England and do the GDL or come back to the States for law school (given I can get into a Top 20 law school).
Guys I don't want to get overly hopeful, but I may be able to go in Fall after all! I don't know how I didn't realize this before, but I can use my Mom's bank account in addition to mine. With Fafsa I might be able to have enough funds to get my Visa. Hopefully, I get the scholarship from Kent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[h="1"]yourgirlbribri, That's great! [/h]
I've recently applied for a poetry scholarship and will submit to another one over the weekend. I've also started a GoFundMe account to help for school. I hope things work out by the time July/August rolls around!
Original post by cytja_0288
[h="1"]yourgirlbribri, That's great! [/h]
I've recently applied for a poetry scholarship and will submit to another one over the weekend. I've also started a GoFundMe account to help for school. I hope things work out by the time July/August rolls around!

I'm in the same boat. Created a Gofundme me for my placement fee so that's out of the way. Now applying for scholarships and waiting to get FAFSA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yourgirlbribri
Guys I don't want to get overly hopeful, but I may be able to go in Fall after all! I don't know how I didn't realize this before, but I can use my Mom's bank account in addition to mine. With Fafsa I might be able to have enough funds to get my Visa. Hopefully, I get the scholarship from Kent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean enough funds? I've heard as Americans, we're considered reliable when it comes to funds and we don't need to show proof for our visas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest