The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
Hello OP,

Please be aware of the following before considering any funding from FutureFinance:

- The quoted APR rate is relatively high compared to other long-term loan offers. Your bank will almost certainly be able to provide a better interest rate.
- FutureFinance will charge you 6.5% of the total loan amount just to set it up. This is extremely high compared to most companies who have no setup charges.
- You can be charged £10 per letter if they need to contact you with regards to late repayments
- Should you run into financial difficulty; Future Finance will pursue the loan from your guarantor. This could result in them being taken to court. Most other finance options do not require a guarantor and debt can be written off if you are struggling to repay it.

I strongly recommend you consider other financing options

We always encourage our customers to explore other finance options available to them and choose what suits them best. In the event when a bank can provide terms more suitable to you, of course you should take them.The £10 per letter is for registered letters sent to you after you have failed to respond to phone calls and emails with regards to late payments.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 681
Original post by Future Finance
The £10 per letter is for registered letters sent to youafter you have failed to respond to phone calls and emails with regards to latepayments.

Does it really cost £10 to enter someone's name into a pre-populated letter template and then send it registered?

The letter itself costs £1.73. So your 'other costs' are £8.27.

Even if we allow a generous £1 for stationary and printing costs.. that's still £7.27 worth of 'admin' costs. Again; allowing a generous 5 minutes to populate, print and post that letter.. you're charging people £87.24 (7.27 * 12) per hour for admin charges.
Hello guys,
I'm applying to
Balliol, Oxford PPE
UCL PPE
KCL PPE

ACT with Writing Composite Score: 34

AP Scores:
5-Physics B
5- Calculus AB
5- Macroeconomics
5- Microeconomics
5- Comparative Government
5- US History
5- Human Geography
4- Chemistry
4- Statistics

How competitive do you guys think I am for King's and UCL? Would they be considered "safe" or "possible" schools for me or reach based on my test scores?
It depends on the rest of your app (statement, reference, academic history) but just from this you should be fine for KCL. They only require 3 5s and a much lower ACT than what you've got. UCL I'm not sure about, as their requirements are the highest I've ever seen for American qualifications. They say they require a year of American university (3.5+ gpa) as well, so that might be an issue for you. If you're worried about it, email the admissions tutors about your specific situation. Also, you can always add choices in UCAS if your offers are unsuccessful, so you could still apply to other schools as backups.
Hi guys, I had a question for Oxford/Cambridge applicants and was wondering if anyone could answer it -

I saw on the Cambridge website for American applicants that the SAT requirement was a 2100 composite, but specifically a 700 per subject. (I'm assuming it's the same for Oxford?)
I just took the SAT and got above a 2100, but not at least 700 in all subjects..do you think Cambridge would reject me if I applied?

(The subject got under a 700 on was math, and I'm leaning towards more of an arts subject, not sure if this matters though. I got a 730 on CR, an 800 on writing, then a 650 on math :frown:)
Original post by rissanicole14
Hi guys, I had a question for Oxford/Cambridge applicants and was wondering if anyone could answer it -

I saw on the Cambridge website for American applicants that the SAT requirement was a 2100 composite, but specifically a 700 per subject. (I'm assuming it's the same for Oxford?)
I just took the SAT and got above a 2100, but not at least 700 in all subjects..do you think Cambridge would reject me if I applied?

(The subject got under a 700 on was math, and I'm leaning towards more of an arts subject, not sure if this matters though. I got a 730 on CR, an 800 on writing, then a 650 on math :frown:)

Oxford's requirements for US students are more lenient than Cambridge's. Regarding the SAT specifically, they require 1400 combined CR&Math along with 700 Writing. I've also emailed both admissions departments, and Oxford have been a lot more informed about our qualifications and more open-minded about them. Cambridge, on the other hand, has been dismissive and outright rude, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of them being understanding. Just as an example, they told me my AA degree was meaningless because it "lacked math and science courses" even though my degree required classes in both and I was applying for law.

Ultimately, you should email the admissions departments. As an international student your application will not be standard, and UK schools are much more understanding of your need to communicate with them about the process. Also they may accept your application and then make you an offer conditional on getting a better SAT score by the end of the year.

Here's Oxford's USA requirements:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications
Are you all actually applying to attend a UK university and earn a degree there? Or is anybody just studying abroad for a semester or full year?
Original post by grvcex97
Are you all actually applying to attend a UK university and earn a degree there? Or is anybody just studying abroad for a semester or full year?

Degree for me.
Original post by Frank1981
Degree for me.

Ooouu at which university? And what are you studying?

University of Portsmouth, Master in Human Resources. You?
University of Portsmouth, Master in Human Resources. You?

I'm studying abroad at either UCL or KCL. Political science. Where are you coming from in the US?

I forgot to say I'll be starting next year (2016).
I'm studying abroad at either UCL or KCL. Political science. Where are you coming from in the US?

I meant to say I will be starting in 2016. Well currently in New Mexico but have lived in Miami for a while. You?
I meant to say I will be starting in 2016. Well currently in New Mexico but have lived in Miami for a while. You?

Will you be starting as a first year at uni? I'm at UCLA, but I grew up in San Francisco(:
Original post by ohdarlin
Oxford's requirements for US students are more lenient than Cambridge's. Regarding the SAT specifically, they require 1400 combined CR&Math along with 700 Writing. I've also emailed both admissions departments, and Oxford have been a lot more informed about our qualifications and more open-minded about them. Cambridge, on the other hand, has been dismissive and outright rude, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of them being understanding. Just as an example, they told me my AA degree was meaningless because it "lacked math and science courses" even though my degree required classes in both and I was applying for law.

Ultimately, you should email the admissions departments. As an international student your application will not be standard, and UK schools are much more understanding of your need to communicate with them about the process. Also they may accept your application and then make you an offer conditional on getting a better SAT score by the end of the year.

Here's Oxford's USA requirements:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

It's disappointing to hear that Cam wasn't very cooperative :frown:
I'll definitely shoot them an email just in case. I guess either way I'll have to improve my math score..
but perhaps I should consider Oxford more as an option since it seems that they cater more to US applicants than Cambridge.

Thank you so much for the information! :h: Good luck in your UK endeavors.
Will you be starting as a first year at uni? I'm at UCLA, but I grew up in San Francisco(:

Oh nice! I love SF, probably my favorite city in the US. Well it's an MA so not sure if I would be considered a first year or something different. You are currently in the UK or are you starting soon?

What are you studying?

I've studied abroad in London four years ago, and now I'm looking to go back for my MA in Acting in England next year. I've already started the application process for four of the schools I'm applying to.
Original post by rissanicole14
It's disappointing to hear that Cam wasn't very cooperative :frown:

Cambridge, specifically King's college reps, were extremely nice and helpful. I hope you will have the same experience. Good luck.
Hi everyone! Yeah, I just wanna take my opportunity to ask all the americans here if they know a uni that offers a good quality of business degree course education in the US. I've been looking for a uni for my new degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending