The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2015

Hello everyone! I thought I should start this thread for us Americans to talk about what Universities we are applying for and what course.
The post will go
Degree Name
Universities.
I will go first.

Drama and English

University of Kent
University of Sheffield
Brunel University
University of Winchester
University of Loughborough or Oxford Brookes (but I am leaning towards Oxford Brookes)

Grades are optional to list.
I am looking forward to see what other Americans are applying for!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! Nice to see a fellow American applying for the same year as me :smile:

Zoology

Queen Mary University of London
University of Roehampton
University of Leeds
University of Leicester
Swansea University

I've already completed a two year associates degree in the states (well, I will have it finished up later this year). I have a 3.25 GPA, so my grades are pretty so-so, and I' a little nervous that I won't be accepted anywhere! :s-smilie:
Original post by LissyDearest

I've already completed a two year associates degree in the states (well, I will have it finished up later this year). I have a 3.25 GPA, so my grades are pretty so-so, and I' a little nervous that I won't be accepted anywhere! :s-smilie:

My GPA is so similar:eek:. You are not alone!
Original post by yourgirlbribri
Hello everyone! I thought I should start this thread for us Americans to talk about what Universities we are applying for and what course.
The post will go
Degree Name
Universities.
I will go first.

Drama and English

University of Kent
University of Sheffield
Brunel University
University of Winchester
University of Loughborough or Oxford Brookes (but I am leaning towards Oxford Brookes)

Grades are optional to list.
I am looking forward to see what other Americans are applying for!

Hey. It's me again! Haha.

So I'm sort of different. I have not completed my associates, despite having gone for a while. I'm also 27, so I think the universities will consider that. I'm applying for Ancient History. My picks are:

Exeter
Warwick
Leeds
Newcastle
Reading

I'm honestly pretty nervous, because academically I haven't done fantastic. I'm set on the UK because of the fact that I'll be studying one specific course. The whole prerequisite thing we're used to is not for me.
Reply 4
Politics, Politics & History, IR, History, Gov & History (5 different courses LOL :biggrin:)

King's College London
King's College (for a 2nd course)
Oxford University
LSE
University College London

SAT: 2020 :mad:
SAT IIs: 710(US history) 740(Literature)
APs: 5 (US Gov) 5(Comp Gov) 5 (Us History) 5(world history) 5(music theory) 4( literature)
Reply 5
Original post by derek15
Politics, Politics & History, IR, History, Gov & History (5 different courses LOL :biggrin:)

King's College London
King's College (for a 2nd course)
Oxford University
LSE
University College London

SAT: 2020 :mad:
SAT IIs: 710(US history) 740(Literature)
APs: 5 (US Gov) 5(Comp Gov) 5 (Us History) 5(world history) 5(music theory) 4( literature)

Just gonna throw this out there, it's going to be kind of hard for you to write a PS linking all those courses together. Yes they are similar but unis don't want to see you jumping around from course to course, rather they want you to go in depth about a particular one (or 2) you are applying to study.
Ooo. Question. Have any of you requested transcripts in case you're asked for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
Ooo. Question. Have any of you requested transcripts in case you're asked for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did. I ordered a few copies, that way I had one to scan and then sealed ones that remained "official."
I did. I ordered a few copies, that way I had one to scan and then sealed ones that remained "official."

Good idea. I'm glad I asked. Since I graduated several years ago, it might take a bit getting them from my high school. I better get on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by avash27
Just gonna throw this out there, it's going to be kind of hard for you to write a PS linking all those courses together. Yes they are similar but unis don't want to see you jumping around from course to course, rather they want you to go in depth about a particular one (or 2) you are applying to study.

Yeah, but my PS is about politics and history which is good for 4 of them, the 5th one IR i might be ok because I talked about politics in an international sense, but I guess we will see! I submitted my app yesterday and can't wait for responses :biggrin:
Original post by derek15
Yeah, but my PS is about politics and history which is good for 4 of them, the 5th one IR i might be ok because I talked about politics in an international sense, but I guess we will see! I submitted my app yesterday and can't wait for responses :biggrin:

Good luck! :smile: I went to LSE for politics and philosophy so if you have any questions feel free to send them my way.
Reply 11
Original post by avash27
Good luck! :smile: I went to LSE for politics and philosophy so if you have any questions feel free to send them my way.

Thank you! do you know when I should be getting responses? im an american applicant so I do not know too much. I heard applying early is advantageous so I did, do you think I could get some within 4-6 weeks or will I be waiting until next spring?
Original post by derek15
Thank you! do you know when I should be getting responses? im an american applicant so I do not know too much. I heard applying early is advantageous so I did, do you think I could get some within 4-6 weeks or will I be waiting until next spring?

I'm American too :wink: I applied early (because I applied to Cambridge), but I had to wait until March to hear back from LSE and MAY to hear back from KCL, so I guess it really does just depend. Sit tight is the best advice I have :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by avash27
I'm American too :wink: I applied early (because I applied to Cambridge), but I had to wait until March to hear back from LSE and MAY to hear back from KCL, so I guess it really does just depend. Sit tight is the best advice I have :smile:

Thank you and YOU'RE AMERICAN YAY! So you understand my qualifications, could you possibly tell me if I seem qualified?

SAT 2020 :frown:
SATII- 740 lit, 710 US history, WH pending
AP- US History 5, World History 5, US Gov 5, Comp gov 5, Music theory 5, lit 4, euro pending

I think i wrote a good PS

Thanks again for your help, I imagine LSE is amazing! I have a friend who loved it but turned it down for Oxford instead
Original post by derek15
Thank you and YOU'RE AMERICAN YAY! So you understand my qualifications, could you possibly tell me if I seem qualified?

SAT 2020 :frown:
SATII- 740 lit, 710 US history, WH pending
AP- US History 5, World History 5, US Gov 5, Comp gov 5, Music theory 5, lit 4, euro pending

I think i wrote a good PS

Thanks again for your help, I imagine LSE is amazing! I have a friend who loved it but turned it down for Oxford instead

I had similar qualifications and in my offer for LSE was asked to obtain a 5 on the US Government exam. This may be because I already had 5s in 4 "relevant subjects" when I applied, which is what the entry requirements stated (the UK offer for the course then was AAB, it has now gone up to AAA). So you should be ok as I think you have 5s in 4 relevant subjects, and I imagine if they gave you an offer they would ask you to get a 5 in Euro to fulfill the entry requirements.

The PS is honestly one of the most important things, the grades just get you in the door and past the initial screening, but the PS really has to make you stand out. As long as that is the case, then you should be a-okay!

I was rejected from KCL and didn't apply to Oxford or UCL so I guess I can't help you with those, unfortunately.
Reply 15
Original post by avash27
I had similar qualifications and in my offer for LSE was asked to obtain a 5 on the US Government exam. This may be because I already had 5s in 4 "relevant subjects" when I applied, which is what the entry requirements stated (the UK offer for the course then was AAB, it has now gone up to AAA). So you should be ok as I think you have 5s in 4 relevant subjects, and I imagine if they gave you an offer they would ask you to get a 5 in Euro to fulfill the entry requirements.

The PS is honestly one of the most important things, the grades just get you in the door and past the initial screening, but the PS really has to make you stand out. As long as that is the case, then you should be a-okay!

I was rejected from KCL and didn't apply to Oxford or UCL so I guess I can't help you with those, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help! Wow, you were accepted at LSE but denied at KCL, that's surprising!
Reply 16
Computer Science

University of Central Lancashire
Durham University
University of Essex
University of York
Abertay University

Stuck on writing a PS at the moment, not sure what direction I should go with it.
Original post by derek15

You already applied to the 2015 school year? I was under the impression that you couldn't apply until October!
You already applied to the 2015 school year? I was under the impression that you couldn't apply until October!

Applications opened on the 9th of September. I have already applied as well. However you do not have to apply to all 5 choices at once. You can apply to the ones you are certain about wanting to attend and add the rest at a later date, as long as it is before the January 15th deadline.
(edited 9 years ago)

For most unis, I think it's September. I noticed Warwick says they accept them starting in October.

Applications opened on the 9th of September. I have already applied as well. However you do not have to apply to all 5 choices at once. You can apply to the ones you are certain about wanting to attend and add the rest at a later date, as long as it is before the January 15th deadline.

Really? I was told they opened the first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending