The Student Room Group

National Insurance

Hi there,

Not exactly sure whether this is the right place but I need a quick answer so I thought chat would be the best place.

Basically, I need my NI number asap. I've sent off the form for HMRC to tell me, but it's taking too long for them to respond. I have seen somewhere (can't remember where) that you can get your NI number from your local Job Centre. Is this correct? I need to know before I go there and embarrass myself by asking for it if they don't have it.
I'll be going asap so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
How old are you? have you worked before?
Your NI number should be on any correspondence from HMRC or on any previous payslips, so if you've worked before, you should have a record of it somewhere.
I think letters get sent out a little before you turn 16, so you might get one soon if you're still 15, otherwise you will have received either a letter (in the last 2-3 years) or a NI card (if you turned 16 longer ago than 2-3 years) with the number.
I don't know if you can get it from the Job Centre, but HMRC might not be able to give it to you over the phone and may have to post a new letter to you instead, which obviously will take a while still.
Reply 2
Original post by Katie_p
How old are you? have you worked before?
Your NI number should be on any correspondence from HMRC or on any previous payslips, so if you've worked before, you should have a record of it somewhere.
I think letters get sent out a little before you turn 16, so you might get one soon if you're still 15, otherwise you will have received either a letter (in the last 2-3 years) or a NI card (if you turned 16 longer ago than 2-3 years) with the number.
I don't know if you can get it from the Job Centre, but HMRC might not be able to give it to you over the phone and may have to post a new letter to you instead, which obviously will take a while still.

Thanks, I'm 18 so I received it a few years ago. Thing is I lost it and I haven't used it before so there's no payslips or anything. I've asked them to post a new letter to me but when I was on the phone yesterday they said up to 41 working days which is far too long for me. I'll try the Job Centre and if they don't have it I'll just have to wait I guess.
Original post by Kool_Panda
Hi there,

Not exactly sure whether this is the right place but I need a quick answer so I thought chat would be the best place.

Basically, I need my NI number asap. I've sent off the form for HMRC to tell me, but it's taking too long for them to respond. I have seen somewhere (can't remember where) that you can get your NI number from your local Job Centre. Is this correct? I need to know before I go there and embarrass myself by asking for it if they don't have it.
I'll be going asap so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Check if your GP has it on record.

No, you can no longer get your NI number from Job Centre. The only way to officially retrieve it is by filling out this form.
(edited 9 years ago)
GP is very unlikely to have NIno. on record as this is different to your NHSno.

NiNO is of the form AA nn nn nn A

NHSno is a 10 digit all numbers number (current format) and old formats varied but are obselete

you can start work without a NINo , you just need to make sure that any NICs held back by the employer get credited when you get your NINo.
above poster has provided the link to request advice of your NINo.
Reply 5
Original post by XMaramena
x

Original post by zippyRN
x

Thanks guys, I've been to the Job Centre now and as you said, they can't access it. I've filled in that form you linked and posted it off a few weeks ago but no response as of yet. Is there 100% no other way to get it? Because if it takes the 41 days that they say then it's seriously going to screw over my student finance.
Thanks guys, I've been to the Job Centre now and as you said, they can't access it. I've filled in that form you linked and posted it off a few weeks ago but no response as of yet. Is there 100% no other way to get it? Because if it takes the 41 days that they say then it's seriously going to screw over my student finance.

I had the same problem, I ended up having to pay my uni fees up front.
Reply 7
Original post by XMaramena
I had the same problem, I ended up having to pay my uni fees up front.

There is literally no way I could afford that. :s-smilie:

There is literally no way I could afford that. :s-smilie:

I guess I was lucky I had some money put away that I was saving for my house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending