The Student Room Group

How do you stop thinking of dating as competition?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ChickenMadness
Think of it as searching for your soul mate. You're yin searching for yang. There's no competition because no one else is the same as you or has the same soul mate . Everyone's just searching for their own.

hahahahaha

ChickenMadness you post enough on the feminism threads, do you honestly believe this is how relationships work anymore?
Original post by Riku
hahahahaha

ChickenMadness you post enough on the feminism threads, do you honestly believe this is how relationships work anymore?

'anymore' whats that supposed to mean? lol.
Reply 22
Original post by Philip_Philtrum
It really is one big competition. The women are the prizes. It is why men will continue to be the most competitive and dominate everything.

But women are predators themselves, at least the most highly prized are. They have broken their former objectification and now act (rightfully) as autonomous beings; so naturally men would have to step up EVEN FURTHER to 'win'.

It's a difficult thing to understand because at once we must 'win' women/ a partner yet not think of them as a 'prize'. But one cannot impress someone without putting on their best self can they? So then, any loss if not putting on your best self...

From all my research, evolutionary psychology is basically misogynist and justifies the pressures of masculinity-I hope to find studies or anecdotal experience which can change this view
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Well can you stop thinking that way? For the sake of your sanity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would have to mean curbing my competitive edge and understanding of self-improvement being the root of success and attraction…which is potentially a regressive philosophy advocating self-sabotage

It would be hard and I don't know how to do it I need help with that? :frown:
Original post by Riku
It would have to mean curbing my competitive edge and understanding of self-improvement being the root of success and attraction…which is potentially a regressive philosophy advocating self-sabotage

No it wouldn't. You can still do all those things without believing dating is a game that you're trying to win. You should be doing all of those things for yourself anyway, not to attract a girl lol. Since they'd only be interested in you for superficial things. I always downplay any positive shallow things about myself because I don't want to attract those types of people.
Reply 25
'anymore' whats that supposed to mean? lol.

You always seem quite cynical/evo-psych based about social roles. Namely how you believe feminism has ****ed over men and given our generation an entitlement complex while putting unrealistic expectations on men to be attractive and successful in various ways
Reply 26
No it wouldn't. You can still do all those things without believing dating is a game that you're trying to win. You should be doing all of those things for yourself anyway not to attract a girl lol. Since they'd only be interested in you for superficial things. I always downplay any positive shallow things about myself because I don't want to attract those types of people.

Well life is a game I'm trying to win…dating/relationships would be a big aspect…still losing in front of my gf would be losing at life, you see the problem? Still can't afford to lose, risky.
Original post by Riku
Well life is a game I'm trying to win…dating/relationships would be a big aspect…still losing in front of my gf would be losing at life, you see the problem? Still can't afford to lose, risky.

Well if you use my approach to dating/relationships is a single player game so you shouldn't worry about the other people. If you lose your girlfriend because of something immature and silly thats because she wasn't the right one so you need to carry on searching for the right one. You'l know when you've won when you're both happy.

Original post by Riku
You always seem quite cynical/evo-psych based about social roles. Namely how you believe feminism has ****ed over men and given our generation an entitlement complex while putting unrealistic expectations on men to be attractive and successful in various ways

Well I don't 'believe'. I always mention the legit laws that were pushed by feminist groups that discriminate against men. And the campaigns funded by feminist groups. I don't spout theories like 'patriarchy' I just mention the actual laws and actions that are taking place today to raise awareness of it. I state facts when it comes to feminism.

The evo-psych is mostly just over exaggerated trolling for lolz. Doesn't have anything to do with feminism lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Riku
Well that would be naive wouldn't it? If you go into an interview then you know you are against dozens if not hundreds, thousands of people who have all got great grades, been working on their interview skills, suited up for the application, some who will have had significant life experience/job experience that you haven't?

So why wouldn't you think the same when dating/in a relationship? It only takes someone being better at you at X/in X way to potentially shift your SO's attraction over to them-hence my Mario Kart example

because the person you want to impress probably doesnt suit yeh anyways.

be the best person you can be.not for them for you.after all theyre essentially strangers who yeh dont really know.even if yeh know them well whats to say shell be good in a relationship or youll work.

my advice: let faith decide.meanwhile work on yourself for yourself and...

[video="youtube;nfWlot6h_JM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM[/video]
Original post by trustmeimlying1
because the person you want to impress probably doesnt suit yeh anyways.

be the best person you can be.not for them for you.after all theyre essentially strangers who yeh dont really know.even if yeh know them well whats to say shell be good in a relationship or youll work.

my advice: let faith decide.meanwhile work on yourself for yourself and...

[video="youtube;nfWlot6h_JM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM[/video]

Taylor Swift is the best person to go to for dating advice guys. Listen to her.
Taylor Swift is the best person to go to for dating advice guys. Listen to her.
I chose her for a reason:biggrin:

she knows what shes doing now :badger:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
I chose her for a reason:biggrin:

she knows what shes doing now :badger:

lmao not sherrif srs. What changed?
Reply 32
Original post by Riku
Yes, people say that :redface:

Yes it will, if a complete stranger meets you and sees you lose, they all think of you as submissive; if they see you win, they will see you have potential

There are other reasons of course why I thought she might have liked him, but this is more a hypothetical situation about my general philosophy on r'ships which I do not fully understand

Yes, big trust issues :tongue:

>not jump to conclusions, yes agreed, cognitive distortion
>'see everyone as a threat', realistically anybody who hasn't allied with me is a potential predator, or at least competing with me for resources (even 'resources' on an existential level, such as the affections of a loved one)

I have this ingrained thesis about the beta provider or "cute guy" who can be used for emotional support and hopefully financial but is ultimately not masculine enough to be respected or admired on the primal level by the heterosexual woman…attraction is a strange, subjective thing

That's not always true though. Seems like something similar to this happened in the past and has caused you to think in this way? The obvious trust issues have to come from something that's happened? Have you not though about trying to identify and tackle this directly?
People waste their whole life trying to compete with others. It's useless.

You only really win when you compete with yourself and aim to be the best possible version of yourself.
lmao not sherrif srs. What changed?
yeh cant be serious of funny all the time

wouldnt wana end up like yours truly:cool:

oohhh tension.....
Reply 35
Well if you use my approach to dating/relationships is a single player game so you shouldn't worry about the other people. If you lose your girlfriend because of something immature and silly thats because she wasn't the right one so you need to carry on searching for the right one. You'l know when you've won when you're both happy.

Well I don't 'believe'. I always mention the legit laws that were pushed by feminist groups that discriminate against men. And the campaigns funded by feminist groups. I don't spout theories like 'patriarchy' I just mention the actual laws and actions that are taking place today to raise awareness of it. I state facts when it comes to feminism.

The evo-psych is mostly just over exaggerated trolling for lolz. Doesn't have anything to do with feminism lol.

Sound advice, would like to change it, going to need a radical change in philosophy to adopt it in practice, but thanks anyway!
Original post by Riku
Anything which involves competition I tend to clam up. I can do it but I get very stressed, and then don't always succeed, despite putting in a lot of effort, which is frustrating.

I tend also to view it all as threats, such as if a guy beats me at Mario Kart or Laser Quest when my SO is around, then that's a threat to our relationship-and an even bigger threat if I am trying to 'woo' the girl in question, because who wants to date a loser (or Mario Kart or bigger things?)

Can't you just go away.

Focus on your education, and not your virtual girlfriends and stop trying to justify everything.

You're just not that good looking, m'kay?

kthnxbye
Original post by Riku

Riku. You think too much. Just stop thinking and go with the flow man.

Yes you do need help but if i'm not mistaken, a few therapists and psychologists have already given up on you so not sure what else to suggest :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop caring about everyone else and just be competitive with only yourself.
Original post by Riku
'someone better comes along' IS a problem in itself isn't it? Unless you step up they are probably going to leave.

Once someone has been with you for a while, they're not going to leave just because someone "better" comes along (unless your relationship was rubbish in the first place), because then they'd have to start from scratch again. Most likely, the familiarity you've developed together, the relationship you've built, and how used to each other you've become will work in your favour, making you "better" than anyone else. If you end things with a long term partner and then immediately end up with someone else, even if they're a bit better looking, or more intelligent, or richer etc. you're still going to feel like "it's just not the same".

The existence of people "better" than you is only really a problem at the very beginning, when you're at the stage of deciding whom to date, and with whom to get into a relationship, because then she might choose someone else instead of you. But at that stage, it very much is a competition, so why should you stop thinking of it as one? You should try to be the best you can be, to get the best partner you can get. It doesn't mean you have to win the competition and get the most attractive girl in existence, but at least do your best and settle for the best you can.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest