The Student Room Group

How do you stop thinking of dating as competition?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
right I'm getting the sense people are implying that worrying about losing a girlfriend because of coming 2nd or even 8th in Mario kart, even to a 'hot' guy friend, is melodramatic and paranoid, also maybe insecure

maybe?
Reply 61
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
maybe?

well in my world winners survive, losers perish
Original post by Riku
-Don't date?

-Don't see it that way?

-Don't ask this question?

:s-smilie:

personally I'd say don't date ... or breed
Original post by Riku

What do you look like aesthetically ?

Is your paranoia why your relationships fail?
Original post by Riku

To be honest being good at Mario kart just dumps you in the 'sad looser who plays to much video games category' for a lot of people.

I like your version of Mario Kart though. Certainly much more intense.

If the world actually worked liked that I would be a babe magnet what with my insane Mario Kart skillz.
(edited 9 years ago)
There is always going to be somebody who is better at something than you are. Find your positives and focus on those. Don't worry so much about that kind of thing, I don't think most girls even care.
Reply 66
Original post by FoundWiFi InJail
What do you look like aesthetically ?

Is your paranoia why your relationships fail?

c. 13-4% average, rate a 4-6 on facial aesthetics, slim/lean, not very big/strong but try to lift twice a week atm (been lazy the last week lol in depressive phase so prob at 16.5% atm at a guess?), could afford to bulk-try not to focus on it too much due to body image issues mind…yes I am guesstimating my body fat % weekly that should tell you something

yeah probably. I only had one and it was during my ongoing mildly depressed/demotivated/anxious/paranoid phase
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Riku
c. 13-4% average, rate a 4-6 on facial aesthetics, slim/lean, not very big/strong but try to lift twice a week atm (been lazy the last week lol), could afford to bulk-try not to focus on it too much due to body image issues mind...

yeah probably. I only had one and it was during my ongoing mildly depressed/demotivated/anxious/paranoid phase

You sound perfect for

ILovePancakes
x

You two would get on so well.

Also how tall are you?
Reply 68
You sound perfect for

You two would get on so well.

Also how tall are you?

Is this your second account Pancakes? :P

If not, I am proper confused, I think she just likes being leader of the short-lived #granola4riku campaign doesn't have a thing for some random Internet dude :redface:
Reply 69
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
To be honest being good at Mario kart just dumps you in the 'sad looser who plays to much video games category' for a lot of people.

I like your version of Mario Kart though. Certainly much more intense.

If the world actually worked liked that I would be a babe magnet what with my insane Mario Kart skillz.

lol ikr

But do you not think that intensity might be a reason why they fail? :s-smilie:

Bet you struggle with Rainbow Road doe :tongue:
Reply 70
Original post by katiiiiie
There is always going to be somebody who is better at something than you are. Find your positives and focus on those. Don't worry so much about that kind of thing, I don't think most girls even care.

Hmm yes, unfortunately I have been aware of this since the earliest days of my sibling rivalry, the trouble was dealing with being 'second best'

Working on that-as in I know plenty I had, just got to find the motivation to get off here and get back to them!!

For some reason I believe they did-the whole males proving their dominance, superior provider/protector thing?
Reply 71
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't think anyone who believes they are an awesome catch has these disturbing thoughts. I've literally never looked at another girl around my boyfriends and thought "better watch out for that one".

You need to work on your self-esteem. It's really that simple.

Starting to think I might also be a bit shallow/materialistic and judgmental too. "She will dump me because he is better-looking/has a slighter better grade at a completely different subject to what I study anyway" doesn't say much about what I think of her and her values, does it?
Original post by Riku
Is this your second account Pancakes? :P

If not, I am proper confused, I think she just likes being leader of the short-lived #granola4riku campaign doesn't have a thing for some random Internet dude :redface:

Talk to her more. :redface:
Original post by Riku
lol ikr

But do you not think that intensity might be a reason why they fail? :s-smilie:

Bet you struggle with Rainbow Road doe :tongue:

I was a beast at Double Dash Rainbow Road.
Reply 74
Talk to her more. :redface:

Well she did seem pretty cool, but this is rather random, if you say so I will one of these days :tongue:

6ft, or 5ft11 and half an inch :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by Foo.mp3
Perhaps only take your dates on social dates (with friends) where you know you are going to boss the others at whatever it is you're doing if it's competitive, if you're really that insecure. I scoried with a Cali cheer-chick whom was lodging with my family one night after I invited her along bowling with me and my buddies. I dunno if it's linked but I bossed them and I guess smashing those pins can get a girl wet, who knows.. :danceboy:

Well in one case, I did that-a date to a local arcade with Laser Quest, bowling, Guitar Hero etc. I thought I would beat her, but she threw me off-guard by maing it at a surprise party with my mates (which was nice) but also invited her guy friend (which wasn't, but it turned out she wanted to cheer him up as he just got dumped and he got me a card/helped with the presents). I already had some major insecurities about this guy before that-see my late 2013 Relationships posts I can't access them

Anyway he beat me at laser quest and it just went downhill from there-almost entirely my fault for being way too serious about the whole thing

Tbh I think this is very possibly just me being paranoid and thinking that girls keep tabs on every move in a relationship, after reading too much PUA/RedPill baloney :tongue:
Original post by Riku
Well in one case, I did that-a date to a local arcade with Laser Quest, bowling, Guitar Hero etc. I thought I would beat her, but she threw me off-guard by maing it at a surprise party with my mates (which was nice) but also invited her guy friend (which wasn't, but it turned out she wanted to cheer him up as he just got dumped and he got me a card/helped with the presents). I already had some major insecurities about this guy before that-see my late 2013 Relationships posts I can't access them

Anyway he beat me at laser quest and it just went downhill from there-almost entirely my fault for being way too serious about the whole thing

Tbh I think this is very possibly just me being paranoid and thinking that girls keep tabs on every move in a relationship, after reading too much PUA/RedPill baloney :tongue:

Reading RedPhil is the worse thing anyone can do.... Back to the question, Is dating a competition. Yes and no, Yes you're Competing against other guys after the same girl, On the other hand, Fighting him for her isn't going to impress her... Yes he's your competition, But you don't treat dating as a whole as a competition. Girls watch guys like hawks before agreeing to everything, They'll know when you're competing, Yes some of them will enjoy that, But the majority will walk over to another guy just being himself and letting things happen instead of competing for it.

In short, technically yes it is a competition, but should you treat it like one? No. Hope that helped...
Reply 77
Original post by Ryan-Slade
Reading RedPhil is the worse thing anyone can do.... Back to the question, Is dating a competition. Yes and no, Yes you're Competing against other guys after the same girl, On the other hand, Fighting him for her isn't going to impress her... Yes he's your competition, But you don't treat dating as a whole as a competition. Girls watch guys like hawks before agreeing to everything, They'll know when you're competing, Yes some of them will enjoy that, But the majority will walk over to another guy just being himself and letting things happen instead of competing for it.

In short, technically yes it is a competition, but should you treat it like one? No. Hope that helped...

So, be scared ****less that you're under pressure to perform at risk of losing her, even when you're a committed couple, but don't show it at any cost or you'll lose her anyway. Have I understood you correctly Ryan?
Original post by Riku
So, be scared ****less that you're under pressure to perform at risk of losing her, even when you're a committed couple, but don't show it at any cost or you'll lose her anyway. Have I understood you correctly Ryan?

No not quite mate, For starters, if you're a commited couple, You don't have to do ****, she's with you for a reason. If you were yourself instead of pretending to make sure you got her you'll keep her no matter who else is around.
Scared ****less? Why are you scared and under pressure? Don't show it? No just don't do it in the first place, Think about it, if you were a girl, Would you go for the guy being himself, Paying you attention but not taking the piss, or the guy thats competing with another guy over you, pretending to be better than the other guy and fighting for your attention apperaring needy?

Did I explain that better? or am I too tired and need to do it another way :smile:
Original post by Riku
Hmm yes, unfortunately I have been aware of this since the earliest days of my sibling rivalry, the trouble was dealing with being 'second best'

Working on that-as in I know plenty I had, just got to find the motivation to get off here and get back to them!!

For some reason I believe they did-the whole males proving their dominance, superior provider/protector thing?

You don't have to be good at Mario Kart to show a girl you're dominant and you'll protect her :tongue: Just make sure she knows that she means something to you and that you're there for her :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest