The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Want to move out of Lindop, wondering about likeliness of getting room re-let

Hey y'all! :smile:

I'm an American associate student (from Illinois) about to study at Queen Mary once classes start on Monday. And I have a problem:

I moved into Lindop House nearly a week ago and... yeah, I really dislike it (not the flatmates or anything, just the general state of the place).

Does anyone have an idea of the chances that my room will be re-let at this point in the semester if I apply to housing services to move out early (since of course I need to have someone else take on the license agreement to get my money back)? What is the whole process of that if anyone has experience in that area? Will I be able to continue to live in Lindop until the room is re-let so I have time to find other accommodation and then vacate?

I'll also be contacting housing services with these questions but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask fellow students. Please please please respond to this if you have advice that could help.

***EDIT*** I received a fairly formal response from housing services saying it's "impossible to tell" how long it would take for the room to be re-let. This is really my main concern, so, again, if anyone knows approximately how long re-letting a room takes and how likely it is to happen, that would be brilliant.

Thanks very much in advance! :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shcdetective
Hey y'all! :smile:

I'm an American associate student (from Illinois) about to study at Queen Mary once classes start on Monday. And I have a problem:

I moved into Lindop House nearly a week ago and... yeah, I really dislike it (not the flatmates or anything, just the general state of the place).

Does anyone have an idea of the chances that my room will be re-let at this point in the semester if I apply to housing services to move out early (since of course I need to have someone else take on the license agreement to get my money back)? What is the whole process of that if anyone has experience in that area? Will I be able to continue to live in Lindop until the room is re-let so I have time to find other accommodation and then vacate?

I'll also be contacting housing services with these questions but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask fellow students. Please please please respond to this if you have advice that could help.

***EDIT*** I received a fairly formal response from housing services saying it's "impossible to tell" how long it would take for the room to be re-let. This is really my main concern, so, again, if anyone knows approximately how long re-letting a room takes and how likely it is to happen, that would be brilliant.

Thanks very much in advance! :h:

To be fair, the halls are pretty popular but it might just be the housing services who's busy and not doing it asap... what you can do is put up an advert and get a student who's willing to take your place, and then go to housing services with that person and go through the paperwork. It's faster and normally they'll take it.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by annette2010
To be fair, the halls are pretty popular but it might just be the housing services who's busy and not doing it asap... what you can do is put up an advert and get a student who's willing to take your place, and then go to housing services with that person and go through the paperwork. It's faster and normally they'll take it.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to try to get a transfer to a different QMUL house first next Monday when transfer requests open, but I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending