The Student Room Group

Worrying about the UCAS and Uni!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, now my situation is I am not very sure about how the UCAS works. Normally We will finish our exams in June and get the results in Augusts. So during this period of gap, how the process will be running? I am also resitting some of my AS courses, just wondering what is the point that we type in our AS grades at this moment?

I have picked electrical and electronic engineering for 4 unis now. Imperial, Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield. I still get one choice here. But I am kind of afraid the A2 grade I can get. I am doing physics, maths and biology now. Two are fine, but the point is my biology is just ****...my tutor said she predict I can get a B but Last year I only get a E in AS.....so I am trying to improve my biology as possible..(English is not my first language so...) Anybody can give some advice about how to do biology?

And yeah I am also doing the Further maths but it is only in AS. Is it still useful for me to use it apply those unis I mention. Ahhhhh, I just don't know everything... :::::::::::::s-smilie:SSSSSSS
Reply 1
The deadline dates are all listed on the UCAS website.

You need to apply by January 15th (unless you're applying for Oxbridge, medicine or vet med, which is October 15th).
Unis then consider your application. They're encouraged to reply by March 31st, but really have until May.
You have to reply to your offers by the date UCAS gives you. This depends on when you receive your last reply. It will either by May or June.
So between June and August, you're just waiting. You have your offers, and know which unis you have selected as firm and insurance. You wait until you receive your results, and will then see if you achieved your offer.
Original post by Sumnight
I am also resitting some of my AS courses, just wondering what is the point that we type in our AS grades at this moment?

Imperial, Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield. Two are fine, but the point is my biology is just ****...my tutor said she predict I can get a B but Last year I only get a E in AS.....so I am trying to improve my biology as possible..

You have to type in your AS grades because universities use them as part of the process to pick applicants. You are not going to get into Imperial with an E at AS and a B as a predicted grade; it just won't happen because there will be thousands of applicants with A grades at AS aplying to Imperial.

You don't meet the requirements for Imperial anyway; you have to be predicted at least A*AA for A2, and you're not:

'Our standard A-level entry requirements are:

A* in Mathematics

A in Physics

A in a third subject'

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/electricalengineering/entryrequirements

They will not make you an offer if you don't have high enough predicted grades. Other universities are going to find it very hard to believe that you can jump from an E at AS to a B at A2 anyway, and can reject you because of that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Pectorac
You have to type in your AS grades because universities use them as part of the process to pick applicants. You are not going to get into Imperial with an E at AS and a B as a predicted grade; it just won't happen because there will be thousands of applicants with A grades at AS aplying to Imperial.

You don't meet the requirements for Imperial anyway; you have to be predicted at least A*AA for A2, and you're not:

'Our standard A-level entry requirements are:

A* in Mathematics

A in Physics

A in a third subject'

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/electricalengineering/entryrequirements

They will not make you an offer if you don't have high enough predicted grades. Other universities are going to find it very hard to believe that you can jump from an E at AS to a B at A2 anyway, and can reject you because of that.

I know it sounds ridiculous that using a E grade in AS to apply the top unis. I get A in maths(over 90%) and A in physics, so I really want to try to touch the ICL even I know until now is impossible.

As the situation you said, if I cannot get the receives from the unis I want, but at the end I achieve the grade they require (A*AA), what would gonna to happen?

or it will better if I just totally take away ICL and focus on the rest of those.
Original post by Sumnight
I know it sounds ridiculous that using a E grade in AS to apply the top unis. I get A in maths(over 90%) and A in physics, so I really want to try to touch the ICL even I know until now is impossible.

As the situation you said, if I cannot get the receives from the unis I want, but at the end I achieve the grade they require (A*AA), what would gonna to happen?

or it will better if I just totally take away ICL and focus on the rest of those.

If you get A*AA in the end, you will have to take a gap year and reapply for the next year; they won't give you an offer on results day if they've already rejected you. I'd advise you to just not apply to ICL because they will have thousands of people applying with A grades at AS who will be predicted at least (if not higher than) A*AA at A2, and you just don't have that. They can afford to be as picky as they want.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply