The Student Room Group

Alex Samond RESIGNS *Scotland Vote NO*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29277527
He has gone, Thoughts?

On the Scotland Debate after they voted no it feels like this: (UK is Homer, Marge is Scotland)

[video="youtube;wArac8bQ4nE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArac8bQ4nE[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Good. From what I've heard, the man was quite the racist. Nobody who holds bigoted views should be in power.
Bump Bump Bump this post
Original post by Drunk Punx
Good. From what I've heard, the man was quite the racist. Nobody who holds bigoted views should be in power.

I don't know if he was racist but people do say he seems to be like this guy...:fuhrer:
Original post by Youis Trollin
I don't know if he was racist but people do say he seems to be like this guy...:fuhrer:

Closer to a Scottish Nick Griffin tbh. Only difference between Salmond and Griffin is that Salmond views the English with disdain. That, and for some reason people seem to love him.
I would of been more surprised if he'd stayed to be honest. He was the "independence guy"... where was he meant to go from here? We need a new face now to bring us forward in the fight for more devolved power.
Original post by hermitthefrog
I would of been more surprised if he'd stayed to be honest. He was the "independence guy"... where was he meant to go from here? We need a new face now to bring us forward in the fight for more devolved power.

Yeah but lets celebrate the Union for now with the Amazing No campaign theme Song...

Spoiler

:colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
He hasn't disgraced himself to be fair. That's probably the highest compliment I can give him.
Reply 8
He managed to get 47% of Scotland to vote yes to independence. As much as I hate the guy, that's still a pretty big achievement.
Reply 9
Original post by Arkasia
He managed to get 47% of Scotland to vote yes to independence. As much as I hate the guy, that's still a pretty big achievement.

44.7%.
Reply 10
Salmond*.
I knew he would resign, everyone thought I was chatting rubbish but I was right :u:
Original post by MidnightDream
I knew he would resign, everyone thought I was chatting rubbish but I was right :u:

You were chatting rubbish, you just happened to get lucky. You had no certainty of his resignation.
Original post by Arkasia
You were chatting rubbish, you just happened to get lucky. You had no certainty of his resignation.

Not really but whatever :laugh:
All I did was make a prediction that he would resign if Scotland didn't get independence, I was pretty certain when I said it and I was right.
(edited 9 years ago)
Shame. A real, crying shame. I've said all along though, and as weird as it seems now, the SNP has won. Salmond has won.

Holding a referendum will give them political capital -- ie. there has to be a recognition that, although they have not got independence, the process has to be seen through, namely, what will the response of the SNP be? The people of Scotland have decided to vote no, okay, but it means for the first time in 300 years that the Scottish people have had to answer this question. It's momentous. And a huge feather in the cap of Salmond. A great turnout also shows how politically active people in Scotland can be. The SNP also continues to have a raison d'etre, which would have been lost as well. All in all, the SNP, and Alex Salmond especially, can hold their heads up high.

Who's going to hold the Westminster politicians to their promises? They will be lucky to have a draft deal done by January, and then with all the process, it's highly likely any final referendum promises made won't be delivered until the new Parliament meets, according to the BBC. So, what does it mean? It means it's just a sweetener.

If it's a Tory victory next year, with people like Boris Johnson already calling for a u-turn/stab in the back/call for the promises to be scrapped, does anybody seriously believe they will give those powers to Scotland? If it's a Blue-purple coalition...goodness have mercy on the people of Scotland for what they will do. For the other two main, neo-liberal parties, it'll be moved to some random page of their manifesto and become a footnote. Clegg will do another u-turn and be forced to make another "so sorry" apology (/song)...and Ed Miliband could do just about anything. For all three parties, the economy, not devolution, will be crucial in next year's General Election.

Not too sure about the Greens, but the Scottish Greens were in favor of a independence vote; and the Green Party of England and Wales are at least in favor of some much needed democratic reforms which should be in the interest of the whole UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending