The Student Room Group

Centripetal Force.. Help!

We did the following experiment in class:

A piece of string had a rubber bung tied to one end, an approx 15 cm copper tube around it, and then a heavier mass tied to the other end. (looked like this http://demolab.phys.virginia.edu/demos/pictures/whirligig.jpg)

When you held the tube horizontally and made the rubber bung swing around with a high enough velocity, the heavier mass rose and the bung's radius increased.

So we thought that if you swung it at a constant velocity, nothing would happen and the mass would remain where it is, and that it's only when you apply more force to swinging the bung around that the mass starts to move. So is it that you're increasing the velocity and so the centripetal therefore increases, which pulls the mass up? That's what my teacher suggested but then I'm unsure about how that would work since the centripetal is towards the circle of rotation's centre.

Would it be because if the centripetal is acting on the bung, then an equal and opposite force would act on the other end of the string (in the same horizontal plane) and as a result pull the mass on the other end up?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by hhattiecc
We did the following experiment in class:

A piece of string had a rubber bung tied to one end, an approx 15 cm copper tube around it, and then a heavier mass tied to the other end. (looked like this http://demolab.phys.virginia.edu/demos/pictures/whirligig.jpg)

When you held the tube horizontally and made the rubber bung swing around with a high enough velocity, the heavier mass rose and the bung's radius increased.

So we thought that if you swung it at a constant velocity, nothing would happen and the mass would remain where it is, and that it's only when you apply more force to swinging the bung around that the mass starts to move. So is it that you're increasing the velocity and so the centripetal therefore increases, which pulls the mass up? That's what my teacher suggested but then I'm unsure about how that would work since the centripetal is towards the circle of rotation's centre.

Would it be because if the centripetal is acting on the bung, then an equal and opposite force would act on the other end of the string (in the same horizontal plane) and as a result pull the mass on the other end up?

Thanks in advance :smile:

This is a classic demo - the centripetal force keeping the bung on a circular orbit comes from the weight force of the stationary mass at the centre, the lip of the pipe is acting as a pulley.

The problem is that as the weight rises, it changes the radius of the orbit so it's difficult to run the demo properly in a short classroom slot - ideally you wouldn't have the weight being moved up and down vertically as you varied the speed of the rubber bung because then you have got two variables changing at the same time.
also raising a weight in a gravitational field means you're doing work on it and in this case the method of doing the work isn't very obvious.

see this... http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-physics/experimental-test-f-mv%C2%B2r

Quick Reply

Latest