The Student Room Group

What if I get rejected by Ox for Law?

Hey,

I'm relatively new to TSR, but it seems like a good place to get answers to your queries.

I'm just starting Y12, and my GCSE results were 7A*s, 4As and 1B. My predicted grades for AS are AAB, I believe- although that isn't yet official...

Oxford require AAA, whilst all the others that I'm interested in require A*AA. Hopefully, I can get AAA if I work hard (which I am willing to do) and then apply. But it's so difficult to get into Oxford, and loads of people will be applying for law with A*AA+. So I fear that if I don't get in, I'll be left without a place on my desired list to go to. I could apply for others that are lower, but I feel set on one of the ones I have already noted- Oxford in particular.

I'm kind of set on Oxford, and the other ones with higher requirements, so can anybody give me any tips? Anything at all?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J21Miller
Anything at all?

Be sensible and apply for a range of universities with a range of entry requirements
Hey,

I'm relatively new to TSR, but it seems like a good place to get answers to your queries.

I'm just starting Y12, and my GCSE results were 7A*s, 4As and 1B. My predicted grades for AS are AAB, I believe- although that isn't yet official...

Oxford require AAA, whilst all the others that I'm interested in require A*AA. Hopefully, I can get AAA if I work hard (which I am willing to do) and then apply. But it's so difficult to get into Oxford, and loads of people will be applying for law with A*AA+. So I fear that if I don't get in, I'll be left without a place on my desired list to go to. I could apply for others that are lower, but I feel set on one of the ones I have already noted- Oxford in particular.

I'm kind of set on Oxford, and the other ones with higher requirements, so can anybody give me any tips? Anything at all?

I am in the same boat as you! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
Be sensible and apply for a range of universities with a range of entry requirements

Which universities with AAA also have high numbers of graduates getting solicitor jobs in London, do you know? I will apply for others, but I've been told that most people that end up in London go to one of the ones that I'm interested
Hey,

I may have misunderstood but are you only doing 3 AS-Levels?
Reply 5
Original post by Skill Twix
I am in the same boat as you! :frown:

It's really annoying! Oxford have lower requirements, yet I don't think that many will get accepted with AAA, so it's annoying! :angry:
Which universities with AAA also have high numbers of graduates getting solicitor jobs in London, do you know? I will apply for others, but I've been told that most people that end up in London go to one of the ones that I'm interested

hmmmmm

In that case talk to your teachers and ask for help to ensure that you get AAAA at AS with some high UMS scores
Reply 7
Original post by jenigma
I may have misunderstood but are you only doing 3 AS-Levels?

No, sorry! I am doing 4, AABB are my predicted grades, although I haven't been told officially what they are yet
No, sorry! I am doing 4, AABB are my predicted grades, although I haven't been told officially what they are yet

Again, I might be wrong.. if you've just started Year 12, why are you worrying about Oxford now? Your AS predicted grades don't matter, your AS grades and A2 predictions do

Or am I being completely crazy? :lol:
Reply 9
I have heard of previous applicants being offered AAA-ABB in rare circumstances. Although this could be due to a range of reasons. Regardless though it is interesting.

I've always wondered why the Oxford offer AAA as opposed to Universities such as Nottingham which require at least A*AA to be admitted entry.

The fact you've been predicted AAB means nothing. Having been in Y12 for not even a month, either you or especially your teachers are not in a position to be making realistic predictions. People predicted grades higher and lower are astounded by their results in august. Again, it makes no difference until you actually have your results next year.

Your AS predictions mean NOTHING. They are internal targets set by the school, and universities never see them because they are not official. Universities are given your predicted A2 grades, which your school bases on your achieved AS grades when you get them. There's no reason why you can't be predicted the required grades for A2 if you just do the work for AS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 105263

I've always wondered why the Oxford offer AAA as opposed to Universities such as Nottingham which require at least A*AA to be admitted entry.

Oxford uses the LNAT and it can set its offer criteria (in conjunction with interview performance) as high as it likes. Don't be misled by the low A level requirements; it isn't easy to get in to study law at Oxford.
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke
Oxford uses the LNAT and it can set its offer criteria (in conjunction with interview performance) as high as it likes. Don't be misled by the low A level requirements; it isn't easy to get in to study law at Oxford.

I'm aware of this as well as the average entry tariff points for the course. Why not reduce the quantity of applicants by making a conditional offer of A*AA if this is so?
Then you'll be rejected, like most applicants, and end up at another uni, like most applicants. You'll move on. If I were you, I wouldn't set my heart on any one uni at this stage, not until you've got AS results. Look at a range of unis and appreciate them all. Apply to Oxford if you get good results; if you don't you'll definitely not get in.
Original post by 105263
Why not reduce the quantity of applicants by making a conditional offer of A*AA if this is so?

Because, for Oxford, the method used is better, obviously.
Original post by 105263
I'm aware of this as well as the average entry tariff points for the course. Why not reduce the quantity of applicants by making a conditional offer of A*AA if this is so?

I assume they've thought of this and decided for whatever reason that it would not be preferable for them. I imagine they're a reasonably intelligent bunch so no doubt there's a reason for it.
It's really annoying! Oxford have lower requirements, yet I don't think that many will get accepted with AAA, so it's annoying! :angry:

I am applying to Bath or Bristol,UCL,Warwick,Manchester and King's College for Economics!
Reply 17
Original post by jenigma
Again, I might be wrong.. if you've just started Year 12, why are you worrying about Oxford now? Your AS predicted grades don't matter, your AS grades and A2 predictions do

Or am I being completely crazy? :lol:

No, that is correct.
Reply 18
Original post by Exon
No, that is correct.

I know I'm only Year 12 and I have a while until I should seriously begin to consider it.
Can I ask what, if you or anybody knows, grades and other qualities a typically accepted law candidate possesses?
I know I'm only Year 12 and I have a while until I should seriously begin to consider it.
Can I ask what, if you or anybody knows, grades and other qualities a typically accepted law candidate possesses?

My friend has 3As and my other one has A*AAA. The higher the better tbh, for any course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending