The Student Room Group

suggestions on what degree I should do at university

Hi
I just started yr 12, I'm not sure if it's a bit too early to think about university but whatever:colondollar: anyways, I do chemistry, biology, maths and psychology at AS atm, I'm planning on dropping biology after AS. So I know these A-levels have pretty much opened the doors to many science degrees, right now I'm thinking I should go for a chemistry degree, however I've just started AS so it's dependent on me enjoying chemistry as I may change my mind later on. What other degrees could I look into? I've been thinking about it a lot but I just can't decide what I definitely want to do, also when should I start going to university open days?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally, I found Chemistry AS very difficult but then the step to A2 was very easy to cope with. If you apply for chemistry the university degree itself is very difficult but it will be easy for you to access great universities with only AAB, such as bath and bristol, Warwick being only ABB, chemistry offers are really low. I would say finish your year 12 and try and decide during the year and after.
Original post by Sirk
Personally, I found Chemistry AS very difficult but then the step to A2 was very easy to cope with. If you apply for chemistry the university degree itself is very difficult but it will be easy for you to access great universities with only AAB, such as bath and bristol, Warwick being only ABB, chemistry offers are really low. I would say finish your year 12 and try and decide during the year and after.

Thanks! So far I'm enjoying chemistry but I'm aware that's it's going to get more difficult, it still feels like we're doing gcse work. The low offers are great but would it be difficult to find jobs if I were to have a degree in chem?
Reply 3
Original post by bubblegumcat
Thanks! So far I'm enjoying chemistry but I'm aware that's it's going to get more difficult, it still feels like we're doing gcse work. The low offers are great but would it be difficult to find jobs if I were to have a degree in chem?

Absolutely not, A degree in chemistry is one of the best you can have, its a core subject and to get a 2:1 or above in chem displays high intelligence.

Which exam board are you doing?
Reply 4

Because you ARE doing GCSE work. Higher end GCSE but still GCSE nonetheless.

The transition to A-level is gradual.
Best advice anyone can give you: don't go to university until you have found the course that is right for you. Research all the suggestions people helpfully give you, but until one hits you as exactly right, delay your degree. Student finance entitlement isn't infinitely elastic and if you get on a course and decide even a week or two into the second year that it's not for you, you won't be entitled to enough money to fund a new degree for the whole three years. Wait until it's the right one or the consequences could be serious.
Reply 6
Depends on what your interests are, but you still have plenty of time to decide. There's a Russell Group PDF showing different degrees and what A-levels they usually need (The list starts on page 18)

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Have a look at the listed degrees there and see what matches your A Level choices if you need more ideas and do further research on any you find interesting, your choices match quite a lot of the list so you have plenty of options open to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sirk
Absolutely not, A degree in chemistry is one of the best you can have, its a core subject and to get a 2:1 or above in chem displays high intelligence.

Which exam board are you doing?

OCR
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Best advice anyone can give you: don't go to university until you have found the course that is right for you. Research all the suggestions people helpfully give you, but until one hits you as exactly right, delay your degree. Student finance entitlement isn't infinitely elastic and if you get on a course and decide even a week or two into the second year that it's not for you, you won't be entitled to enough money to fund a new degree for the whole three years. Wait until it's the right one or the consequences could be serious.

Thanks! I've thought about gap years just in case I'm not sure yet, but does taking a gap year hinder my chances of getting into university?
Original post by __Adam__
Depends on what your interests are, but you still have plenty of time to decide. There's a Russell Group PDF showing different degrees and what A-levels they usually need (The list starts on page 18)

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Have a look at the listed degrees there and see what matches your A Level choices if you need more ideas and do further research on any you find interesting, your choices match quite a lot of the list so you have plenty of options open to you.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Exon
Because you ARE doing GCSE work. Higher end GCSE but still GCSE nonetheless.

The transition to A-level is gradual.

oh right, with biology we jumped straight into the a level content I guess
Thanks! I've thought about gap years just in case I'm not sure yet, but does taking a gap year hinder my chances of getting into university?

Only for maths, really, where they think you get rusty. Otherwise, it's usually a plus.
Thank you :smile:

NP, I've never looked at Chemistry degrees as I didn't take it beyond AS, but it is a core science degree and therefore valuable if you do well in it.

Some chemistry careers you might want to look at along with some extra info about Chemistry graduates

I've also heard that Chemical engineering is a good choice (Chem Eng version of the above link) so you might be interested at looking at what you do in that degree as well. However don't just base your degree choice off prospects though, take your time and choose something you'll enjoy doing for 3/4 years.
Reply 13

I am taking a gap year before a chemistry degree this year, having applied for deferred entry last year, and nowhere was bothered about it. If anything my plans for the year added a miniscule amount to my application.
Original post by Sirk

Bristol isn't AAB...
Reply 15
oh right, with biology we jumped straight into the a level content I guess

It varies from subject to subject but I agree.
Original post by __Adam__
NP, I've never looked at Chemistry degrees as I didn't take it beyond AS, but it is a core science degree and therefore valuable if you do well in it.

Some chemistry careers you might want to look at along with some extra info about Chemistry graduates

I've also heard that Chemical engineering is a good choice (Chem Eng version of the above link) so you might be interested at looking at what you do in that degree as well. However don't just base your degree choice off prospects though, take your time and choose something you'll enjoy doing for 3/4 years.

woow thanks for taking the time to link these :smile: i've looked into chem eng before but don't I need physics for it? forensic scientist looks interesting so I'll look more into that
Hey, im doing a chemistry degree this year and the only reason i chose it was after doing alevel. Imo a2 for me was easier than AS. Probably because i enjoyed a2 more. If you can get theough AS easily, a2 shouldnt be bad, its quite fun :tongue:
woow thanks for taking the time to link these :smile: i've looked into chem eng before but don't I need physics for it? forensic scientist looks interesting so I'll look more into that

Looking at the first page of google, some unis don't mention physics, some want either chem or physics, some want both and some recommend physics but don't require it.

As for forensic science, I've heard that there's too many forensic science graduates trying to get a job in that field, but a chemistry degree should put in just a good a position (If not better) as them for a job there along with all the other fields a Chem degree can get you into. You might find more people that know about it if you posted a thread specifically asking about forensics, I can only go off what I've heard.

In case you're wondering about Chemistry vs Forensic Science degrees, I just found this, you may want to skim through it but it seems like a Chemistry degree is preferred for forensics so you're on the right track if you're interested. It seems like it would also put you ahead of forensic science graduates if you had a good Chemistry degree.

Try posting a thread so people with experience can tell you about it.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by A sheesh
Hey, im doing a chemistry degree this year and the only reason i chose it was after doing alevel. Imo a2 for me was easier than AS. Probably because i enjoyed a2 more. If you can get theough AS easily, a2 shouldnt be bad, its quite fun :tongue:

wow i'm hearing quite often now that as is harder than a2, oh god, haha. Congrats though:smile: Great to hear that you're enjoying it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending