The Student Room Group

Good enough GCSE's for medicine?

Hi,
I was thinking about doing medicine at uni, and was wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough. I got 4 A* 2A's and 7B's and 1C- but who needs German anyway! I am currently doing chemistry, biology, geography and English to As and was thinking of dropping English for A2. Anyway, I was just wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough, I know some universities look at them but not all.

Also if anyone knows of any medicine related ideas I could do for my Extended project, that would be great!

Anna
Reply 1
A lot depends on where you apply. Additionally with a course like medicine it is inevitable that many candidates will be applying. However, its your AS and A2s which count for the most meaning that GCSEs are really only going to come into play if there needs to be a shortlist due to too many potential candidates whom could quite possibly achieve high A level grades. I would go ahead and presume that if say Oxford or Cambridge were your desired uni then perhaps you should rethink your options as they usually require majority A* grades at GCSE, but, along with hard work and success at A level, you should be fine to go on to study in any top 20 uni should you wish.
generally speaking 4A*s isn't enough, especially when you have 10 other non A* grades, 8 of which are Bs or below.
An A Level in Maths is usually needed for most medicine courses.
Reply 4
Original post by Nels98
A lot depends on where you apply. Additionally with a course like medicine it is inevitable that many candidates will be applying. However, its your AS and A2s which count for the most meaning that GCSEs are really only going to come into play if there needs to be a shortlist due to too many potential candidates whom could quite possibly achieve high A level grades. I would go ahead and presume that if say Oxford or Cambridge were your desired uni then perhaps you should rethink your options as they usually require majority A* grades at GCSE, but, along with hard work and success at A level, you should be fine to go on to study in any top 20 uni should you wish.

This is clearly not based on any knowledge of med school applications whatsoever.

x

Year11guy
x

Nor are either of the following posts...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
This is clearly not based on any knowledge of med school applications whatsoever.

Why do you assume mine is?
Reply 6
Original post by Year11guy
Why do you assume mine is?

Surely that's obvious? A-level Maths isn't needed for any Medicine courses. You were almost as wrong as it is possible to be.
Reply 7
Original post by thecoffeebean
Hi,
I was thinking about doing medicine at uni, and was wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough. I got 4 A* 2A's and 7B's and 1C- but who needs German anyway! I am currently doing chemistry, biology, geography and English to As and was thinking of dropping English for A2. Anyway, I was just wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough, I know some universities look at them but not all.

Also if anyone knows of any medicine related ideas I could do for my Extended project, that would be great!

Anna

They are ok if you avoid a few places and apply smartly, ie.to your strengths. You've got lots of research to do and need to get on with organising plenty of work experience and volunteering. The TSR Medicine Wiki is the best place to start. Med applications are complicated, so don't leave it too late to work out what you need to do.
Reply 8
Original post by Ronove

Actually it was based on fairly significant knowledge but thanks for your input.
Reply 9
Original post by Nels98
Actually it was based on fairly significant knowledge but thanks for your input.

If it makes you feel better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending