The Student Room Group

Studying Abroad!

So I'm in a little bit of a dilemna. I want to study communications abroad in London from the USA, and when I thought about doing this this summer, I got really excited and I dived in to the first thing I found, which was to study at the University of Westminster's Harrow campus through Global Semesters. Now I'm doing a little more research, and I'm not too sure about it, which sucks b/c I already put down my deposit.

I've been hearing some really mixed reviews, and I'm also considering Goldsmiths now that I've done a little more research. Basically, should I be worried about Westminster? And how far off from the rest of the city is the Harrow campus? I was hoping to be more where the University of the Arts or King's College is, and I'm pretty sure Harrow is way far off from that. Any advice for this whole situation?

TL;DR: I got accepted to University of Westminster Harrow Campus through a study abroad program, and now I'm not sure if I want to go there. How does the University of Arts or Goldsmiths compare?
Reply 1
I've also been looking into Queen Mary, which has really caught my eye. B/W these three schools (Westminster, Goldsmiths, and Queen Mary), which one do you think would be the best option for communications (broadcast production/digital media)?
Hi there,

I'm a second year college student over here, so I'm hopefully going to university next year. I'm interested in doing the same sort of subject as you. Are you looking to study all aspects of media production or are you interested in a particular area? I noticed you wrote broadcast production - TV? Radio? What level of study are you doing? Undergrad or postgrad?

It really depends on what sort of course you want to do. Are you more interested in the practical side than you are the theory, or would you prefer something that offers a balance on both sides?

Goldsmiths is a brilliant university that is pretty well known over here for its media degrees. It has a 50/50 course with half being practical, half theory, and because of its location in London the university is great for networking. I seem to remember Westminster was slightly more theory based.

A university I have been looking at as well is Leeds. Again, it's a 50/50 course, lovely uni and it's cheaper to live up there too! They do all aspects of broadcast and other media production.

If you are looking primarily for production based courses, Ravensbourne (rave.ac.uk) in London is amazing. It's based near Soho so has plenty of opportunity for networking and also has brilliant equipment and resources. Only issue is that living expenses in London are high. Their halls are really nice too.

Bournemouth university (bournemouth.ac.uk) do a TV production course as well. This was my favourite uni before I decided to change the sort of course I wanted to do. Excellent facilities including their own production company, so you can work in the field whilst you're at uni. Bournemouth is a bigger uni and has a wonderful setting.

With regards to the travel question if you were to go to Westminster, in London it is extremely easy to get around. Trains are very frequent and easy to navigate once you know how. The university itself is located around 30-40 minutes away from Central London, and trains from the nearest tube station, Northwick Park, go every 12 minutes. There are also buses as well. Transport in London is really, really good.

I hope this helped in some way, feel free to PM me if I can do anything more for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending