The Student Room Group

Is doing 4 A levels really that difficult?

I'm at the start of year 12 (A levels? and things seem to be going well so far. But I must admit that I'm dreading the rest of he year

Okay so at GCSE I achieved an A in RE, 2B's in science, 2B's in English, a C in maths, IT, business and graphics and unfortunately a D in spanish. I have opted to go for 4 A levels purely for UCAS points; I am currently studying economics, law (which I will swap as universities apparently don't reccomend it for law) English and politics. These are all very difficult subjects and realistically I do not have the capacity to overcome them with the look of my poor GCSE results. 4 A levels at my sixth form is compulsory, but ideally I'd prefer doing 3. Everyone I have spoken to have said that doing 4 A levels is ridiculously difficult, especially as 3 alone is difficult as well. So I just want to know what I should do? What websites etc how to manage my time. I mean I'm motivated, but A levels seem so hard, and what's worse is that failing just one of them at AS would mean that I would have to drop out which is overwhelmingly embarrassing. I really just want to know if anyone out there who achieved similar grades to me at GCSE went on to excel doing 4 A levels.

It would help thank you
4 AS is the norm. If you do the work it's perfectly manageable. Try it for the first few weeks, and if you're struggling with the workload, drop one.
Reply 2
Original post by paradoxicalme
4 AS is the norm. If you do the work it's perfectly manageable. Try it for the first few weeks, and if you're struggling with the workload, drop one.

It's compulsory :frown:
Original post by uzokings12
It's compulsory :frown:

If you're finding it really, really difficult, they won't make you keep going with the fourth - they don't want you to do badly because of doing 4. But bear in mind everyone's a bit scared at the start of AS, and it's rarely as bad as you think it's going to be. :smile:
It's common to do four AS levels (what you're doing) and three A-levels after that (next year), but plenty of people drop an AS before they take it to exam. If you really can't cope with your fourth AS, speak to your head of year about your concerns. I highly doubt your school will make you take all of your AS to A2 - it's likely you've just misinterpreted having to take 4 AS.
Reply 5
As somebody who's just finished a levels and is now at uni I have some advice. 4 AS levels is normal, the most important thing I can tell you is to be organised. Keep on top of your work and revise/consolidate your work throughout the year.

Get good as levels because if you don't it makes a2 10x harder (I have experience in this).

Don't leave revision to the end of the year EVER, it won't work personally nothing would stick into my head.
Reply 6
Original post by uzokings12
I'm at the start of year 12 (A levels? and things seem to be going well so far. But I must admit that I'm dreading the rest of he year

Okay so at GCSE I achieved an A in RE, 2B's in science, 2B's in English, a C in maths, IT, business and graphics and unfortunately a D in spanish. I have opted to go for 4 A levels purely for UCAS points; I am currently studying economics, law (which I will swap as universities apparently don't reccomend it for law) English and politics. These are all very difficult subjects and realistically I do not have the capacity to overcome them with the look of my poor GCSE results. 4 A levels at my sixth form is compulsory, but ideally I'd prefer doing 3. Everyone I have spoken to have said that doing 4 A levels is ridiculously difficult, especially as 3 alone is difficult as well. So I just want to know what I should do? What websites etc how to manage my time. I mean I'm motivated, but A levels seem so hard, and what's worse is that failing just one of them at AS would mean that I would have to drop out which is overwhelmingly embarrassing. I really just want to know if anyone out there who achieved similar grades to me at GCSE went on to excel doing 4 A levels.

It would help thank you

I'd say that it's easy, except you've gone for subjects with lots essays, so you'll have a high workload. Still, that's your fault for choosing 4 essay subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest