The Student Room Group

how many girls are in your physics/maths(mechanics) class?

In my physics class there are only 3 girls and like 12 boys
In my maths+mechanics class there are 2 girls and 18 boys

Do you think physics is a subject made for guys?:tongue:

Scroll to see replies

maths - 0, 6 boys :frown:

physics - 2 girls, like 20 boys

nah, just stereotypes and cultural indoctrination i guess, other countries have way more girls going into stem subjects
Reply 2
All boys school with mixed sixth form (around 120 guys 30 girls)
FMaths -3
Physics -2
In the A2 Physics class, we are around 30 boys and one girl :biggrin:
When I had Physics there were about 15 girls and no boys

Spoiler

In my physics class there are 8 girls and I think 6 boys.
In my maths and further maths class there are 3 girls and 11 boys.

I think girls that are into sciences would usually go for Biology and Chemistry especially - chemistry seems like the science for girls if they had to pick one. However, physics probably just throws off a lot of girls because of the amount of calculations and lack of mixing stuff together. Not trying to be sexist on purpose but I just find it that most of the time girls prefer to do chemistry or biology over physics.
Original post by Wunderbarr
In my physics class there are 8 girls and I think 6 boys.
In my maths and further maths class there are 3 girls and 11 boys.

I think girls that are into sciences would usually go for Biology and Chemistry especially - chemistry seems like the science for girls if they had to pick one. However, physics probably just throws off a lot of girls because of the amount of calculations and lack of mixing stuff together. Not trying to be sexist on purpose but I just find it that most of the time girls prefer to do chemistry or biology over physics.

True because in my chemistry class there are 6 girls and about 12 guys and in my biology class there are also another 6 girls and 14 guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths.. I think there were 8 girls and 12 boys
Physics, around 11/13 boys and 4 girls

Technology also, there was only us 3 girls and about 15 guys :tongue: they were good craic though.
Reply 8
4 including me quite a lot of boys :tongue:
Reply 9
In my physics class we had 9 boys and 5 girls and in my further maths class we had 6 boys and 7 girls! The other physics and fm classes had lots of girls as well, I think our school was roughly 50/50.
Mechanics and physics AS both had 3 girls out of the two classes adding up to about 30 people each
At A2 both went down to 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Physics - 4 girls, about 15 boys
Maths + FM - 4 girls, about 12 boys.
I think there were 2 girls doing AS physics in my year, but none were in my class and one dropped out of 6th form in year 12.

In maths (We did M1 at A2) there was 1 girl in my class of ~15, however there was 3 maths classes and ~40 students and IDK what the other 2 classes were like.

We did M2 in A2 further maths but no girls took it. (10 boys took FM at AS, 8 at A2).

However my (female) Further Pure teacher taught half of M2 and did mostly mechanics modules at university, while my (also female) core maths teacher has a Physics degree so there was a pretty big difference between the students and teachers there.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was the only girl out of 12 in my Phys, there were about 4-5 girls out of 20 in my Maths. I did Bio and Chem as well, there was an excess of girls in Biology, and roughly even for Chemistry.

I think perhaps physics just isn't considered interesting enough for the amount of effort? As a stereotype, of course. Biology was certainly considered the easiest of the three (although I never found it that way).
(edited 9 years ago)
when I did AH maths at school there were 3 girls in a class of 21 :smile:
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Do you think physics is a subject made for guys?:tongue:

Not necessarily. I know a girl who was good both in mathematics and physics at school.
Reply 16
Well in my current Physics class there are no girls apart form me :frown: although a lot of girls said they wanted to do it at the end of last year but just decided they wanted to go into something else.
In my maths class there are 4 girls and 16 boys
and in my mechanics class there are 4 girls and 14 boys
Interestingly in Uni Maths tends to balance out 50/50.
Original post by Kallisto
Not necessarily. I know a girl who was good both in mathematics and physics at school.

There are some obvious exceptions to the rule

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
There are some obvious exceptions to the rule

I also know an another girl who was good in Chemistry at school... perhaps its just a prejudice?

Quick Reply

Latest