The Student Room Group

Regular volunteering/DofE

Okay, so I've just started college and I was ready to sign up to do my DofE but I didn't realise how much it would cost... I don't have the money so it doesn't look like I will be able to sign up right now :/ maybe next year...

Anyways, I am still interested in volunteering as I am only at college Monday and Tuesday (I will have placement Thursday and Friday from November) so I was thinking if I could find somewhere to volunteer then I could do this on Wednesdays :smile:

I am studying childcare and I am interested in finding somewhere I could volunteer with children. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, do universities and employers value regular volunteering as much as having the DofE award??
Reply 1
I've just done Silver DofE however I couldn't afford this but when I spoke to my leader they gave me financial assistance. Could you mention it to them?

You could volunteer at a preschool/school, maybe brownies/rainbows in the evening, a children's hospice or ward at the hospital?
Reply 2
Hey, I want to be a primary school teacher and have a deferred Uni offer for education with French - I'm on a gap year and am working as a teaching assistant in a school, and I volunteer at a Cub Scout group and my Church Sunday school if that helps! Some primary schools take volunteers to listen to children read - maybe you could look into that? I didn't do DofE and got into my first choice Uni so it's definitely not essential :smile: good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Mariee16
I've just done Silver DofE however I couldn't afford this but when I spoke to my leader they gave me financial assistance. Could you mention it to them?

You could volunteer at a preschool/school, maybe brownies/rainbows in the evening, a children's hospice or ward at the hospital?

It's all the residential equipment that I won't be able to afford though.. :frown:
Original post by LillyLisaa
It's all the residential equipment that I won't be able to afford though.. :frown:

could you ask for it as a christmas gift?
Original post by LillyLisaa

Most places that do DofE have some stuff they can loan out - my child certainly didn't need to buy tents or cooking equipment and I believe there were a few rucksacks available to borrow. You'll need a sleeping bag and boots but if you are only doing bronze not necessarily an expensive sleeping bag and you can try charity shops for boots. If you advertise on freecycle you might be able to get items free. Anyway you have until you are 25 so if you sign up and do the voluntering you can always do the rest later when you have more money. If your family have a very low income your school or college may even be able to offer some financial help.

If you volunteer with brownies/rainbows the guide movement do camps and I'd be pretty confident you'd find someone to loan you what you needed., with the possible exception of boots They also offer their own qualifications - forget what they are called but they are worth doing.

You could look for paid work on Wednesdays and do something in the guide movement of an evening.
I did my volunteering at a nursery/primary school after school club- you could maybe do this? That or you could help with rainbows or brownies, at a charity shop or hospice (although they're not really chilcare-based) or with a sports club or something? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending