The Student Room Group

M1 SUVAT help

Hey guys, we've nearly finished chapter 2, but there's still one thing I don't get. When to use negative acceleration and displacement. I know that if the object is going up acceleration is -9.8 and when going down +9.8. But for example, if the object starts 20m above the ground and is launched upwards and you need to find the time taken for it to reach the ground or the time at which it is 40m above ground level, which values would you use for S and A?

Scroll to see replies

You always choose a positive direction. You can choose upwards or downwards as positive; you should still get the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Diaz07
Hey guys, we've nearly finished chapter 2, but there's still one thing I don't get. When to use negative acceleration and displacement. I know that if the object is going up acceleration is -9.8 and when going down +9.8. But for example, if the object starts 20m above the ground and is launched upwards and you need to find the time taken for it to reach the ground or the time at which it is 40m above ground level, which values would you use for S and A?

Original post by QuantumSuicide
You always choose a positive direction. You can choose upwards or downwards as positive; you should still get the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^^^^^^^^^^
This

you choose which direction is positive

Then draw a diagram and use arrows to decide if each vector is in the positive or negative direction
Reply 3
So for the example above the displacement could either be + or - 20m. But what if the object is going up and then down? Would you use positive or negative acceleration?
Original post by Diaz07
So for the example above the displacement could either be + or - 20m. But what if the object is going up and then down? Would you use positive or negative acceleration?

What direction have you decided is positive?
Reply 5
If the object is going downwards I always use negative and if upwards I use positive
Reply 6
Original post by Diaz07
If the object is going downwards I always use negative and if upwards I use positive

****the other way around! If the object is going upwards I always use -9.8ms and vice versa
Reply 7
But I'm not sure what to do if the object goes both up and back down again like in the example
Original post by Diaz07
But I'm not sure what to do if the object goes both up and back down again like in the example

I can only say this so many times

YOU CHOOSE A POSITIVE DIRECTION

Acceleration due to gravity acts downwards
Therefore
If you choose down as positive then acceleration due to gravity is positive
If you choose up as positive then acceleration due to gravity is negative
Reply 9
I choose down as positive, but the object is going both up(negative) and then back down(positive) do you see my problem now?
Original post by Diaz07
I choose down as positive, but the object is going both up(negative) and then back down(positive) do you see my problem now?

Not really

If down is positive then acceleration due to gravity is always positive

If the item is moving down then velocity is positive
If the item is moving up then velocity is negative
Reply 11
Original post by Diaz07

Split it into two problems.

1. Going up

2. Going down
Reply 12
Okay, so if I throw an object upwards from 10m above ground. And I need to work out the total time it is above 15m while the object is above 15m it will be moving up as well as down, which acceleration value would I use considering I choose down as the positive value?
Reply 13
Original post by TLK
Split it into two problems.

1. Going up

2. Going down

Okay, this makes more sense thanks alot! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Diaz07
Okay, so if I throw an object upwards from 10m above ground. And I need to work out the total time it is above 15m while the object is above 15m it will be moving up as well as down, which acceleration value would I use considering I choose down as the positive value?

9.8, it is always 9.8 as gravity is constant. It doesn't change depending on whether the particle is travelling up or down :smile:
Original post by Diaz07

In this example

If down is positive

Then a = 9.8 and s = -15
Reply 16
Original post by Asciant
9.8, it is always 9.8 as gravity is constant. It doesn't change depending on whether the particle is travelling up or down :smile:

Oh alright, I wasn't sure whether to use negative or positive 9.8
Original post by Asciant

It is 9.8 in a downwards direction

If the OP chose to take up as the positive direction then a would be -9.8
Reply 18
Original post by TenOfThem
In this example

If down is positive

Then a = 9.8 and s = -15

Ahh okay, so if I pick down as positive both gravity and displacement will be positive in the downwards direction, I get it now thanks! But could you explain why you used positive 9.8 as the object is going up and then down, not just down if you get me?
Reply 19
Original post by Asciant

It can since its a vector quantity. It can have a negative value depending on which direction you make positive.

Quick Reply

Latest