The Student Room Group

why is general studies compulsory?

surely schools aren't unaware that it isn't recognised as a proper a-level and won't count towards offers most of the time, so why is it compulsory in so many sixth forms? is it just for the extra ucas points per candidate, or do schools genuinely think that the content helps students become well-rounded?

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my school, if you perform poorly at AS, they make you do it for additional UCAS points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Schools get funded per candidate per A Level. So if you can teach GS on, say, 1 lesson a week you can use the additional funding to pay for extra stuff in other departments.

Same with Key Skills, Critical Thinking and similar.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Wasn't aware of the extra funding thing, that's interesting. I'm glad it's not offered at my college.
Original post by Le Nombre
Schools get funded per candidate per A Level. So if you can teach GS on, say, 1 lesson a week you can use the additional funding to pay for extra stuff in other departments.

Same with Key Skills, Critical Thinking and similar.

Exactly this.

We had to do other qualifications too, like a level 1 in Managing Personal Finances, and a Level 2 in Healthy Living.
Reply 5
AS general studies was compulsory at my school. I purposely failed the January exam however so didn't have to do it.
My school don't even offer it, let alone make it compulsory. They feel it's a waste of time.

(They also don't offer Critical Thinking or the EPQ. Academia or bust.)
(edited 9 years ago)
My school didn't offer it or make it compulsary either.

Quick Reply

Latest