The Student Room Group

Uni and protein

Going uni in a few days. What specific products do you guys recommend and where? High protein for cheap

Edit : I'm talking shopping for food - Iceland etc
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

myprotein.com
Reply 2
Original post by SEHughes
myprotein.com

Lol i meant shopping for food - tescos etc

I do currently use my protein for sups

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lean beef, chicken (cook a whole one and it'll last you days, or buy legs etc), eggs, oats, lentils, turkey (spring and summer time it's really cheap)

There you go

#yeswecan

Posted from TSR Mobile
cottage cheese
Frozen spinach.
Anything from aldi, i eat a lot of fish cakes from there...
Mince as mentioned, cook up chilli in bulk.
Eggs.
My old gym was next to a large tesco, after late night sessions things like cuts of beef, frozen prawns and even scollops were reduced down to about 20% of the price, look out for this.
Musclefood.com for 5kg good quality frozen chicken for £25, take advantage of any good promos they send.
Indian supermarkets for lentils / rice / dried fruit / nuts / oils.
Holland and barret natural chunky peanut butter, 1kg for £5, tastes good.

I do a lot of the cooking and shopping at home, the trick is bulk buying from the right places.
Dont neglect your ****ing spice cupboard either, no one deserves to live off sainsburys basic unseasoned pasta sauce and 200g pasta a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nvmthename
Frozen spinach.
Eggs.
My old gym was next to a large tesco, after late night sessions things like cuts of beef, frozen prawns and even scollops were reduced down to about 20% of the price, look out for this.
Musclefood.com for 5kg good quality frozen chicken for £25, take advantage of any good promos they send.

I do a lot of the cooking and shopping at home, the trick is bulk buying from the right places.
Dont neglect your ****ing spice cupboard either, no one deserves to live off sainsburys basic unseasoned pasta sauce and 200g pasta a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would going to a cash and carry be a good idea
Original post by xxm
Would going to a cash and carry be a good idea

Nah the membership fee wouldnt justify feeding for one.
LPT if you know someone with a costco membership or similar warehouse / cash and carry retailer, get them to buy a giftcard for you, anytime visits without the membership fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Das it mane, im in for the protein.

Gonna be getting on that musclefood chicken hype, gonna get it in bulk, gonna defrost it and do something with it.

What about a tin of tuna and four eggs (scrambled) as a cheap dish?
Reply 9
Besides the obvious. Egg's, milk, chicken, burger patties. Greek yoghurt's pretty good. It's about 10 grams of protein per 100 grams, I get the "total 0%" kind.
Original post by Nvmthename
Frozen spinach.
Eggs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fresh chicken not frozen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the tuna. All the eggs.
Original post by ByronicHero
All the tuna. All the eggs.

Good call.

Also, just cheap meats and eat a lot of it. Buying it in bulk helps as if you buy the meat a kg or so at a time it's much cheaper. A kg of pork loins from Asda is decent value.

Oh, and all the frozen meat is much cheaper than fresh usually. Mince, chicken breasts etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not joking, if you like it liver is dirt cheap. Pretty much a pound for a pound. High protein, pretty lean and loads more vitamins and minerals than normal meat.

I know a lot of people hate it but... man up? Bit too rich to eat every day though (plus you'd eventually get vitamin A poisoning) but once or twice a week it's great.
Reply 14
GOMAD diet
Cheapest source of decent protein = whey concentrate unflavoured
Reply 16
beans, lean meat(fish e.g.), chicken etc.

Also peanuts/almonds/cashew nuts are good in terms of protein per 100g but have oil in them, if you're planning on bulking then it's a great source. The oil and salt(if you buy salted) may make you gain weight so best to use in moderation if cutting or to be only used for bulking.
Reply 17
Original post by Rinsed
Not joking, if you like it liver is dirt cheap. Pretty much a pound for a pound. High protein, pretty lean and loads more vitamins and minerals than normal meat.

I know a lot of people hate it but... man up? Bit too rich to eat every day though (plus you'd eventually get vitamin A poisoning) but once or twice a week it's great.

Liver is nice. just boil some, then add some stock cubes. You can then eat it like that boiled, shallow fry or grill/oven it.
Original post by commandant
It's fresh chicken not frozen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks for the correction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morrisons do cheaper meat than the rest. Iceland does frozen chicken breasts and musclefoods.com

Quick Reply

Latest