The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Law at University of Nottingham

I really hope to make an application to study Law at Nottingham (2015), however, I was wondering just how difficult and competitive it is to get a place on the course.

I am educated at a state-school. My GCSEs were 2 A*'s, 10 A's and 1 B and my AS results were AAAA. I am yet to sit my LNAT (booked for November). I am currently studying German, English Language and Art at A2. What is the likelihood of receiving an offer - do I stand a good chance or not?

Any tips for my application would be great too if possible or any further info on the degree itself - thanks!
Reply 1
Bump
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Tinkerem
I really hope to make an application to study Law at Nottingham (2015), however, I was wondering just how difficult and competitive it is to get a place on the course.

I am educated at a state-school. My GCSEs were 2 A*'s, 10 A's and 1 B and my AS results were AAAA. I am yet to sit my LNAT (booked for November). I am currently studying German, English Language and Art at A2. What is the likelihood of receiving an offer - do I stand a good chance or not?

Any tips for my application would be great too if possible or any further info on the degree itself - thanks!

Hi there I'm at Nottingham university now (first year) and am studying LLB law. I think it is a competitive course - most law courses at Russell Group universities are. Nottingham offers A*AA for their LLB - I achieved AAA in Year 13 ( a state school). I also studied English language as well as history and geography (physics at AS) and scored just an above average score on the LNAT.

Personally I think you do stand a good chance. A facilitating humanity rather than Art may have strengthened your application however but this is a minor detail. Ensure that your personal statement is flawless, really individualistic and concise. I think my personal statement really tipped the scales in my favour.

LLB in the first term of the first year includes the following modules: Understanding Law, Tort law A, Contract law A and Public law A. These are tested after the new year. I currently have 12 one hour lectures a week and will be having tutorials/seminars in every module either once a week or once a fortnight. In the second term you carry on with the last three modules (now Tort B, Contract B) I listed but not Understanding Law.

I hope I've been of some help - this was a very rushed response.

If you would like some more information just message me and I will be happy to answer any more questions about the best university in the country. :colondollar:
Also considering applying! Scottish Student :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm applying to Nottingham too!

Predicted a 44 in the IB and my other choices are Warwick, Oxford, Leeds ad Bristol but Nottingham is my top choice so I'll hopefully see you there next year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham's Law Dept has a reputation for handing out more 2.2s than other places. Below is according to Unistats the % of students who leave with something other than a first or 2.1 compared to seven law departments of, in my view, a similar reputation.

Notts 29%
Bristol 27%
Birmingham 25%
Warwick 14%
LSE 14%
UCL 13%
KCL 12%
Durham 12%

It is something worth considering before firming given that a 2.2 isn't exactly helpful when trying to get a training contract.
Reply 6
Hi, thanks for such a great response! Firstly, congratulations on getting into such an outstanding Law school! What offer did you receive and what was your LNAT score, if you don't mind me asking?

I studied Biology at AS and dropped it, despite receiving a grade A, as I feel that I am so much more passionate about art. That's the main reason that I continued Art to A2 and in all honesty, it is a very difficult A-Level (I don't care what anyone says!) despite its non-academic perception. I am predicted A*AA, however, I am unaware of what I got in my LNAT (hopefully I did fine - really nervous though!) If this is of any help, I have currently have offers from Sheffield, Leeds and an unconditional from Newcastle (so its not the end of the world if I don't get into Notts, but I still really hope to!) I am also waiting for an offer from Birmingham.

The first year sounds great - thank you for your advice. I probably have many more questions but I will need a proper think first! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044
Nottingham's Law Dept has a reputation for handing out more 2.2s than other places. Below is according to Unistats the % of students who leave with something other than a first or 2.1 compared to seven law departments of, in my view, a similar reputation.

Notts 29%
Bristol 27%
Birmingham 25%
Warwick 14%
LSE 14%
UCL 13%
KCL 12%
Durham 12%

It is something worth considering before firming given that a 2.2 isn't exactly helpful when trying to get a training contract.

Surely employees are aware of this?
Original post by Tinkerem
Surely employees are aware of this?

Well Nottingham did write to firms on this issue. (http://l2b.thelawyer.com/law-firms-urged-to-give-special-consideration-to-nottingham-students/1015873.article?PageNo=2&SortOrder=dateadded&PageSize=10#comments) Whether those firms will take any note is another matter...
Reply 9
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044
Well Nottingham did write to firms on this issue. (http://l2b.thelawyer.com/law-firms-urged-to-give-special-consideration-to-nottingham-students/1015873.article?PageNo=2&SortOrder=dateadded&PageSize=10#comments) Whether those firms will take any note is another matter...

Ah okay. Well thanks for the info anyway :smile: its something to bear in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending