The Student Room Group

Riots in George Square, Glasgow

Rowdy yes voters taking their aggression and disappointment out after todays results most likely?Nope...Apparently, 'loyalists' have been causing havock in the city centre through violence (reports of attacks and stabbings), displaying nazi salutes (next to a war memorial no less :facepalm: and generally being awful creatures.I voted no myself and I hope everyone doesn't tar us no voters all with the same brush. However, this strangely hasn't been getting much media attention. Many videos have surfaced on twitter and facebook.I mean, everyone assumed the yes voters would be violent after losing which I dont know why as they seemed fairly peaceful in the run up to the campaign. Yet the only ones causing harm are these bigots celebrating?! Imagine if we lost and were getting independence...Anyway my pain point is this. Is Scotland broken? Is britain broken?
Reply 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvTmcxLa4IMA grown man tearing a saltire flag away from a young girl.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvcPUwDPsQThe loyalists and yes voters split by policeP.s im kind of new, does anyone know how to embed vidoes?
Original post by G8D
There have been no riots.

What makes you say that?
Original post by G8D
I had the livestream on for the duration of what was going on.

Well that's confusing. There's been loads of pictures and videos on FB and the like showing what look like riots. :confused:
Calling it a riot is incredibly misleading. It's a demonstration with some minor violence. It's no more a riot than the average EDL march.
Reply 5
A riot (/ˈraɪət/) is a form of civil disorder commonly characterized by a group lashing out in a violent public disturbance against authority, property or peopleConsidering the group has been lashing out in a violent manner towards the public and the police then yes it is technically a riot.But anyway, not really the point is it? Why are these people so angry when they have got what they wanted? Why do they hate the idea of Scottish people wanting to control their own country?
Reply 6
Original post by G8D
What is a riot to you?I'm not condoning what went on but it's being vastly embellished by the yes camp. Some 'loyalists' (likely lodge ****ers with a drink in them) came into George Square and started singing British songs. The Yes people already there in GS were singing Scottish songs back.That's about all that appeared to happen. The pictures I've seen show the partition formed by the police in precaution of a riot, but nothing I would call a riot occurred.
I take it then you haven't seen the people being attacked? Or grown men pushing little girls around and ripping saltires from the hands?And not to mention the nazi salutes.
The Herald newspaper building has been set alight, they were the only paper to support independence

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by DaveSmith99
Herald newspaper building has been set alight, they were the only paper to support independence
Ahh yes. I was totally overreacting...
Reply 9
Original post by G8D
As another user said. What has been seen can hardly be called a riot. It was a mild disturbance. Compare with the immigrant riots in London or those in Ferguson and you'll perhaps see why riot is a bit of a strong term.The same thing would have happened if the vote was reversed. There was always going to be sourness and smugness, especially from the fringes of Glaswegian society.
Guess you shouldn't speak too seen. Herald, the only paper to support independence has reportedly been set on fire.
Original post by G8D
As another user said. What has been seen can hardly be called a riot. It was a mild disturbance. Compare with the immigrant riots in London or those in Ferguson and you'll perhaps see why riot is a bit of a strong term.

The same thing would have happened if the vote was reversed. There was always going to be sourness and smugness, especially from the fringes of Glaswegian society.

Immigrant riots in London?

I wouldn't class that an immigrant riot... A lot of the people involved were not immigrants, but British born citizens.
Original post by G8D
We can call them 'ethnic' riots if you like. But let us not derail the thread.

But why would you call it an 'immigrant riot'? :holmes: Do you have some preconceived xenophobic views about ethnic minorities? Do you not see them as British?
It's the orange order who are some how managing to make it about that. Plus they have a drink in them. It's embarrassing to be honest, also there all the Yes campaigners on my FB calling me (No voters) a disgrace and that it's all our fault as we voted No.

Ugh!
Reply 14
Original post by Bushido Brown
But why would you call it an 'immigrant riot'? :holmes: Do you have some preconceived xenophobic views about ethnic minorities? Do you not see them as British?

I'm sensing this as well.
Original post by G8D
There are apparently some marches over the weekend too. No voters will be to blame for whatever they result in to.

For some reason I had you logged as a yes vote...

Yea apparently they had them in Edinburgh too. Which surprised me as Edinburgh isn't usually associated with the orange walk. And nope, I'm too English :tongue: and I studied one semester of EU law and I think I knew more than Alex Salmond, so I was definitely a No. Sorry if I offended you if you were a yes voter.
Reply 16
Original post by G8D
I'm/was a no. Which way you voted was none of my business.Re thread: apparently the fire was electrical and accidental and no one was stabbed.
Wow some coincidence huh.Yeah no stabbings thankfully.

Quick Reply

Latest