The Student Room Group

Is uni the right choice?

Okay, so I will try to make this brief!
So as of Sunday I will be enrolled in university as a first year, I'm studying a medical sort of degree (not medicine let me just emphasise!) and I understand it will have grounds for a good job ECT ECT, but the closer the date arrives the more I am dubious about whether university is for me or not.
I say this because I really want to travel, I love travelling to places on my own, getting ferries and planes, I just like freedom and independence, however I am the first in my family to go to university, and all of them are very excited about the prospect of me going. Even when I mentioned the idea of travel my mum cried, and my dad said it was okay to do so AFTER I gained some qualifications. They have always been supportive of my decisions, so for them to react this way obviously means university means a lot to them.
But the prospect of carrying all the student debt and possibly going to a routine 9-5 job terrifies me. I don't want to settle down, I'm not afraid of work as I have had jobs since I was able to work! I wouldn't have a problem working abroad! Ever since I was little I've always wanted to go to university, but now I really just don't know! Who can go travelling with £27000 debt on their shoulders?

Any advice please would be much appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
Your student debt isn't really the same as other debt given that it's paid back as a proportion of income rather than a set amount. I'd say do the same as a lot of people do, work when you can then use the money to go travelling during one of your summer holidays.

That or defer entry which would be a win-win
Also, speaking from experience, to be able to work abroad you'll need a degree anyway. I think within Europe you can do so without (though language is a barrier), however, almost all other countries outside of the EU will have at least a bachelor's as a requirement for not only the job but also the visa.

I think your parents are right, and in the long run you'll regret not doing it sooner.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Your student debt isn't really the same as other debt given that it's paid back as a proportion of income rather than a set amount. I'd say do the same as a lot of people do, work when you can then use the money to go travelling during one of your summer holidays.

That or defer entry which would be a win-win

This.

Student debt will not hinder your travels. It's not considered as a credit-type of debt. (It won't affect your credit rating.)
Reply 4
Thank you, honestly I didn't even think about that, to be fair I do think its a mix of everything that caused this thought proccess however its reassuring to see there are ways and means around it!
Reply 5
To be honest, you'll probably find yourself feeling independant and "free", to an extent, from going off to Uni. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest