The Student Room Group

One fifth life crisis

I'm currently in year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French and I did okay at AS level but I'm still not sure if I actually prefer History/English Lit/Art instead of sciences. I have no idea what I'd enjoy studying at University and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by megan7
I'm currently in year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French and I did okay at AS level but I'm still not sure if I actually prefer History/English Lit/Art instead of sciences. I have no idea what I'd enjoy studying at University and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Do them then. Why limit yourself lol. Do what you enjoy. Drop maybe french and do 2 AS arts, if you can handle them, and see how it goes. If you enjoy them, maybe stay one more year, get good grades for them at A2 and go and study them :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by megan7

I was in a similar position. I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni etc. I knew I was slightly better at the sciency things that's why I didn't take arty subjects. I did maths, bio, chem and economics and got okay AS's also. Dropped chem because it was the least I liked and my teachers weren't great. Coming to writing my personal statement I still didn't really know - what I did though was that I really enjoyed economics and found it interesting. I thought this is the subject that I'd like to do further research about and wouldn't mind listening about in lectures. What I'm trying to say is do the thing that you think you'll enjoy, excel at and love. From the subjects you've taken are there any that you think "I really like this and wouldn't mind sitting lectures on it or any that you'd like to do further research on at uni?" I feel like if you do want to go down the more sciency route, then A level maths seems to be a must or really important when looking at degrees. If maths isn't there you seem to rule out lots of options, from lots of different universities.
Reply 3
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Do them then. Why limit yourself lol. Do what you enjoy. Drop maybe french and do 2 AS arts, if you can handle them, and see how it goes. If you enjoy them, maybe stay one more year, get good grades for them at A2 and go and study them :biggrin:

Thanks, I guess it's just a matter of finding out which subjects I enjoy the most :smile:
Original post by megan7
Thanks, I guess it's just a matter of finding out which subjects I enjoy the most :smile:

No problem, please read other people's advice, mines may not be so good lol. It's quite refreshing to see someone who wants to find and do something they enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by John_Boi
I was in a similar position. I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni etc. I knew I was slightly better at the sciency things that's why I didn't take arty subjects. I did maths, bio, chem and economics and got okay AS's also. Dropped chem because it was the least I liked and my teachers weren't great. Coming to writing my personal statement I still didn't really know - what I did though was that I really enjoyed economics and found it interesting. I thought this is the subject that I'd like to do further research about and wouldn't mind listening about in lectures. What I'm trying to say is do the thing that you think you'll enjoy, excel at and love. From the subjects you've taken are there any that you think "I really like this and wouldn't mind sitting lectures on it or any that you'd like to do further research on at uni?" I feel like if you do want to go down the more sciency route, then A level maths seems to be a must or really important when looking at degrees. If maths isn't there you seem to rule out lots of options, from lots of different universities.

Thanks for the advice:smile: Yeah that's why I took sciences really too because I did significantly better at GCSE but I'm not sure if I could sustain a degree level interest :frown: really I don't feel that inspired to study further any of my subjects at uni..even biology which is so broad but I think I'd get tired of it after 3 years haha! I think I'll still carry on with my subjects to A2 and get the best grades I can and then perhaps do a couple of AS-levels in humanities next year to see if I prefer them or take a gap year..although that's a scary prospect!
Reply 6
Original post by megan7
Thanks for the advice:smile: Yeah that's why I took sciences really too because I did significantly better at GCSE but I'm not sure if I could sustain a degree level interest :frown: really I don't feel that inspired to study further any of my subjects at uni..even biology which is so broad but I think I'd get tired of it after 3 years haha! I think I'll still carry on with my subjects to A2 and get the best grades I can and then perhaps do a couple of AS-levels in humanities next year to see if I prefer them or take a gap year..although that's a scary prospect!

Exactly! What I would say now is you could either try your absolute best and get fantastic grades, then maybe take a gap year to reflect on what you'd want to do, travel and do work experience etc? Or you could do year 12 again but this time picking humanities subjects? Another option could be to do the IB, which would give you a broad range of subjects and not just limit you to just sciences of just arts? But make sure you check with potential unis what they think about IBs. And haha no I understand, I start uni next week and am thinking whether or not I'll be able to hold up doing economics for 3 years but I think because I enjoy it, hopefully everything should be okay!
If you have any other questions you can PM me and I'll be happy to answer any of them :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by John_Boi
Exactly! What I would say now is you could either try your absolute best and get fantastic grades, then maybe take a gap year to reflect on what you'd want to do, travel and do work experience etc? Or you could do year 12 again but this time picking humanities subjects? Another option could be to do the IB, which would give you a broad range of subjects and not just limit you to just sciences of just arts? But make sure you check with potential unis what they think about IBs. And haha no I understand, I start uni next week and am thinking whether or not I'll be able to hold up doing economics for 3 years but I think because I enjoy it, hopefully everything should be okay!
If you have any other questions you can PM me and I'll be happy to answer any of them :biggrin:

I'd love to do everything-finish my sciences a-levels, do a few humanities and take a gap year...decisions decisions. :confused:
Thank you, good luck with Economics at uni! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest