The Student Room Group

Girls don't want to text me but are fine to talk to me in person

There's some girls I'm "friends" with but they never reply to me. Even simple messages like "how have you been these few days?" go unanswered. I don't bother with a follow up but it's just strange that these girls talk to me at college and totally ignore me when texting.

What does this mean, could I just terrible at texting or are some girls just not into texting at all?
Reply 1
It's harder to ignore someone in person. Also your texts seem boring. Make them chase you a little. For some reason this works better with girls.
If someone asked me something like "how have you been these few days" in a text, I probably wouldn't reply either. Even if I liked the person and wanted to reply out of politeness, it's such a vague question that it's can be hard to think of an answer that would make for a decent reply. And so I'd probably put it off, thinking I'll reply to it later, and ultimately forget about it, until the point where so much time has passed, or I've seen you in person since then anyway, making it weird to reply.

In person, you can ask "how have you been", and the response will be "good thanks, you?". But that sort of response isn't really substantial enough for a text. Text isn't like free-flowing conversation, where you just say the first thing that comes to mind. The culture, left over from the days when texts were expensive and could only contain up to 160 characters, is that text messages are traded relatively infrequently, and you try and say as much as you can in each text, making it as interesting as possible so as not to waste it. I would suggest that when texting, you should ask slightly more specific questions that are easier to give a substantial response to; questions where they know the answer, rather than having to think of an answer.

Alternatively, it might be better to message them on an IM service when you can see that they're online (e.g. Whatsapp, Viber, BBM). I find that messaging using those kinds of things, even though it might look exactly the same, is subtly different from sending text messages. It's implied that you want a more immediate and more casual response, as though you're chatting with them in person. Or perhaps you might even want to give them an old fashioned phone call.

Although I guess it's possible that they just don't like you, but it's considered more rude to ignore someone in person than over text.
Reply 3
Original post by tazarooni89
If someone asked me something like "how have you been these few days" in a text, I probably wouldn't reply either. Even if I liked the person and wanted to reply out of politeness, it's such a vague question that it's can be hard to think of an answer that would make for a decent reply. And so I'd probably put it off, thinking I'll reply to it later, and ultimately forget about it, until the point where so much time has passed, or I've seen you in person since then anyway, making it weird to reply.

In person, you can ask "how have you been", and the response will be "good thanks, you?". But that sort of response isn't really substantial enough for a text. Text isn't like free-flowing conversation, where you just say the first thing that comes to mind. The culture, left over from the days when texts were expensive and could only contain up to 160 characters, is that text messages are traded relatively infrequently, and you try and say as much as you can in each text, making it as interesting as possible so as not to waste it. I would suggest that when texting, you should ask slightly more specific questions that are easier to give a substantial response to; questions where they know the answer, rather than having to think of an answer.

Alternatively, it might be better to message them on an IM service when you can see that they're online (e.g. Whatsapp, Viber, BBM). I find that messaging using those kinds of things, even though it might look exactly the same, is subtly different from sending text messages. It's implied that you want a more immediate and more casual response, as though you're chatting with them in person. Or perhaps you might even want to give them an old fashioned phone call.

Although I guess it's possible that they just don't like you, but it's considered more rude to ignore someone in person than over text.

Can you give an example of what I can ask in texts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending