The Student Room Group

Need advice on English lit

Hi, i did eng lit with OCR and got a good grade at AS but did poorly at A2. I want to redo english literature and have looked at distance learning courses, particularly with the NEC, as they also do coursework which i would not be able to redo if i was studying by myself. However the problem is that their exam board for english lit is AQA. i was wondering if i could do the AQA entire english lit a level in one year with the NEC and if there would be any problems in regards to universities as they will see i have done eng lit a level twice with two different exam boards, one entire a level with OCR and the other with AQA.

Would there be any problems ? i don't know how it will look on my UCAS application that i have done the same course twice with 2 different examining boards.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
bump
Original post by mohammedjaved
Hi, i did eng lit with OCR and got a good grade at AS but did poorly at A2. I want to redo english literature and have looked at distance learning courses, particularly with the NEC, as they also do coursework which i would not be able to redo if i was studying by myself. However the problem is that their exam board for english lit is AQA. i was wondering if i could do the AQA entire english lit a level in one year with the NEC and if there would be any problems in regards to universities as they will see i have done eng lit a level twice with two different exam boards, one entire a level with OCR and the other with AQA.

Would there be any problems ? i don't know how it will look on my UCAS application that i have done the same course twice with 2 different examining boards.

Hi,

I can sense that this is a stressful time for you so hopefully the following information/advice might help. I don't think it's wise to do a whole A Level in one year as it is a lot of pressure. Having said this, you have already been through it once so it might be a relatively easier experience for you.

I don't know how it would affect your UCAS to be honest. If you did put both qualifications down, one with the grade and one with pending, they would see that as a resitting, which a lot of places do understand and still accept applicants for.

Alternatively, there might be a way for you to keep the AS OCR and do a AQA A2. I found this document online (link below) which might have some details on for you. I haven't read through it all but it looks like the sort of thing you need :smile: My friends college were meant to do this for her but she didn't do so well at AS so she didn't need it changed in the end.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/16673.pdf

One last thought: why can't you redo it at the place you studied your A Levels at?? :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would write down pros and cons of doing via Nec or ics? Doing a levels is hard, but it's very do able especially if you have done the AS. Could you just do the A2 with ics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alunzar
Hi,

I can sense that this is a stressful time for you so hopefully the following information/advice might help. I don't think it's wise to do a whole A Level in one year as it is a lot of pressure. Having said this, you have already been through it once so it might be a relatively easier experience for you.

I don't know how it would affect your UCAS to be honest. If you did put both qualifications down, one with the grade and one with pending, they would see that as a resitting, which a lot of places do understand and still accept applicants for.

Alternatively, there might be a way for you to keep the AS OCR and do a AQA A2. I found this document online (link below) which might have some details on for you. I haven't read through it all but it looks like the sort of thing you need :smile: My friends college were meant to do this for her but she didn't do so well at AS so she didn't need it changed in the end.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/16673.pdf

One last thought: why can't you redo it at the place you studied your A Levels at?? :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that applies to me and i guess doing the full AQA a-level is all i can do right now. I just wondered what would happen, for example would i then have two a levels in english literature, one from ocr and one from aqa ? i just hope universities are ok with me retaking an entire a level in english AQA when i already have an a level grade with english OCR.

Thank you anyways :smile:
Original post by iloveteddy14
I would write down pros and cons of doing via Nec or ics? Doing a levels is hard, but it's very do able especially if you have done the AS. Could you just do the A2 with ics

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm more concerned with what universities will think and what the consequences are when i redo an entire a level but with a different exam board. Will i keep the ocr a level or would it be replaed with the aqa a level results ? its so confusing :/
I don't think that applies to me and i guess doing the full AQA a-level is all i can do right now. I just wondered what would happen, for example would i then have two a levels in english literature, one from ocr and one from aqa ? i just hope universities are ok with me retaking an entire a level in english AQA when i already have an a level grade with english OCR.

Thank you anyways :smile:

It's no problem, I had a feeling you it might not apply to you.

The best thing I can say is phone UCAS and ask them what they would advise (they might say not to put one of them on your application but I don't know if that's actually possible). Alternatively, contact a university themselves and ask them directly. They would be the only people that can give you a particularly straight answer.

Also, sorry to ask again but why can't you just repeat the A2 at the college/sixth form you originally did it at??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alunzar
It's no problem, I had a feeling you it might not apply to you.

The best thing I can say is phone UCAS and ask them what they would advise (they might say not to put one of them on your application but I don't know if that's actually possible). Alternatively, contact a university themselves and ask them directly. They would be the only people that can give you a particularly straight answer.

Also, sorry to ask again but why can't you just repeat the A2 at the college/sixth form you originally did it at??

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do not do a2 retakes i'm afraid, plus they wouldn't let me redo any coursework which is where i had trouble with in A2. i will call the NEC and ask for their advice on seeing if universities see i get two a levels in eng lit with different exam boards.
They do not do a2 retakes i'm afraid, plus they wouldn't let me redo any coursework which is where i had trouble with in A2. i will call the NEC and ask for their advice on seeing if universities see i get two a levels in eng lit with different exam boards.

Oh, that's a bit of bad luck :frown: I don't think it will be too bad to be honest because all your doing is resitting an A Level, regardless of the exam board you do it with. Hope it works out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since you already have a good AS level , just repeat the modules that you did bad at A2 in. I'm sure you can fight for this to make it happen
I'm more concerned with what universities will think and what the consequences are when i redo an entire a level but with a different exam board. Will i keep the ocr a level or would it be replaed with the aqa a level results ? its so confusing :/

Do you have someone you can talk to about this?
Original post by sunnydespair
Since you already have a good AS level , just repeat the modules that you did bad at A2 in. I'm sure you can fight for this to make it happen

the problem is that the coursework was the module i did bad in, i got a D and seeing as how it is 40% of A2 it brings my grade down. Plus i cannot redo the coursework as i need someone to mark it etc and the nec do this. Problem is their english lit course is a different examining body from the a level in eng lit i have already achieved. I am wondering that if i did their entire a level course in a year, what would happen to my eng lit grade with ocr ? would i still keep that grade or will the aqa grade replace it, plus how would it effect my ucas ?
I would do full the As and A2 with Nec or ICS and don't worry about the English lit with OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I was just wondering if Pete Doherty would be an acceptable poet to put into my personal statement as an example of a modern poet I enjoy, as I do, but I wondered as he has a lot of bad press about him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending