The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kirsty0712
Hi, my subject is Law?!

You might need to wait until next week, then, I'm afraid, though we'll try to notify you before that if we can.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 201
Hi,

Should I be worried if I still haven't heard back from Hughes Hall now that people have already received interview invitations? I also applied for law and do you happen to know when will I be notified regarding interview dates/decisions?

Thanks a lot for your help.
J.
Original post by Joshki
Hi,

Should I be worried if I still haven't heard back from Hughes Hall now that people have already received interview invitations? I also applied for law and do you happen to know when will I be notified regarding interview dates/decisions?

Thanks a lot for your help.
J.

Not at all. Colleges send out interview invitations at different stages, for different subjects, and Lucy Cavendish hasn't even started communicating with applicants for subjects other than Graduate Medicine yet. I don't', unfortunately, know when Hughes Hall plan on contacting applicants for Law but rest assured, you will have plenty of time to make arrangements to attend an interview if you are shortlisted.
Reply 203
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply again and I have decided to sit an A-level Maths alongside an Access to HE (Humanities and Social Science) in order to enhance my chances of being considered as a competitive applicant. In regards to your advice about an appropriate mixture of modules, I did make some enquiries about the modules that colleges in my area provide and none of them seems to do Economics or Geography at level 3 like you point out and do you think that could disadvantage in some particular stages of my application? The modules at the college that I am pondering to submit application do History, Sociology, Psychology and English literature. Which of those three subjects will be the most suitable for the Land Economy?
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
An Access to HE Diploma alone is perfectly acceptable for Land Economy, if you can find one that contains an appropriate mix of modules. Very few Access to HE Diplomas, however, include Economics or Maths at Level 3, so sitting an A-level in Maths alongside the Diploma certainly wouldn't do your application any harm. What I'd recommend you do is review the Access Diplomas available in your area and then seek advice on their contents directly from a College Admissions Office before making a decision.
Hi,

Need some clarification please. I think earlier you mentioned that I wouldnt need to pay college fees but here on the Lucy Cavendish website says this:

"College fees
Unlike overseas fee status students and Islands students (from the Channel Islands and Isle of Man), UK/EU students who are eligible for public support don't normally have to pay an additional College fee, unless they're studying for a second degree (affiliated students). More information about College fees is given in the international students' fees and finance section."

If thats the case then I am pretty doomed :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
Hi,

Need some clarification please. I think earlier you mentioned that I wouldnt need to pay college fees but here on the Lucy Cavendish website says this:

"College fees
Unlike overseas fee status students and Islands students (from the Channel Islands and Isle of Man), UK/EU students who are eligible for public support don't normally have to pay an additional College fee, unless they're studying for a second degree (affiliated students). More information about College fees is given in the international students' fees and finance section."

If thats the case then I am pretty doomed :s-smilie:

Can you tell me where exactly you found that information, please?

The page you should be looking at is this one:

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/admiss...t-will-it-cost

And the critical line is this one:

"All overseas students, and UK and EU Honours graduates embarking on a second undergraduate degree in subjects other than Architecture, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, must pay College Fees in addition to University Tuition Fees."
Hi, I hope you could answer some questions for me please?

My dream has always been to go to Cambridge, but because of various factors I was unable to study a degree. Now I am in full time employment and I would really appreciate your advice please?

My passion is Psychology and my plan is this: I am going to enrol in a Honours Degree with the Open University and achieve a 1st or 2:1 upon completion hopefully. The reason for this is at this moment in time I can only study through Distance Learning. Then I would like to enrol for a full time PHD course at Cambridge university, with my preferred college being Lucy Canvendish.

Would this be a feasible plan? I think my fear is: will the Open University be a good enough qualification in order to enrol in Cambridge?

If not, what would be your recommendation?

Your advice would be most appreciated!

PS: I am currently 24 years old. Thanks
Hi

what are offers based on? For the A101
Is it solely on the interview or do you take other factors into account like academics PS?

Thanks
Original post by Jayne311
Hi, I hope you could answer some questions for me please?

My dream has always been to go to Cambridge, but because of various factors I was unable to study a degree. Now I am in full time employment and I would really appreciate your advice please?

My passion is Psychology and my plan is this: I am going to enrol in a Honours Degree with the Open University and achieve a 1st or 2:1 upon completion hopefully. The reason for this is at this moment in time I can only study through Distance Learning. Then I would like to enrol for a full time PHD course at Cambridge university, with my preferred college being Lucy Canvendish.

Would this be a feasible plan? I think my fear is: will the Open University be a good enough qualification in order to enrol in Cambridge?

If not, what would be your recommendation?

Your advice would be most appreciated!

PS: I am currently 24 years old. Thanks

We have had a few postgraduates in the past from the Open University, so your plan certainly doesn't seem unfeasible to me, though you would need to aim for a very high 2.1 or (ideally) a first-class degree. One option, if you are worried about the academic grounding that the OU might provide, could be to complete a Masters before progressing to the PhD, either at Cambridge or elsewhere.
Original post by Ama2007
Hi

what are offers based on? For the A101
Is it solely on the interview or do you take other factors into account like academics PS?

Thanks

Candidates are scored on academic attainment and other elements of the application (e.g. healthcare experience) as well as their performance at interview. Offers go to the candidates with the highest aggregate scores.
Candidates are scored on academic attainment and other elements of the application (e.g. healthcare experience) as well as their performance at interview. Offers go to the candidates with the highest aggregate scores.

I see.
So are offers & rejection given out all on the same day ? (Monday 1st) and by email?

Hello,

I am hoping this thread is still running. We met at the Mature Students Summer School this August and would like to thank you again for all the help.

I have been offered an interview for PBS and I have been doing a lot of prep for the interview but I am confused about the test. Will it be the TSA or a subject test? I am just trying to refine my studying for the day (I cannot wait)

Thank you again Emily
Original post by tatt0barbie
Hello,

I am hoping this thread is still running. We met at the Mature Students Summer School this August and would like to thank you again for all the help.

I have been offered an interview for PBS and I have been doing a lot of prep for the interview but I am confused about the test. Will it be the TSA or a subject test? I am just trying to refine my studying for the day (I cannot wait)

Thank you again Emily

No college uses the TSA for PBS: see the "admissions test" section of the "entry requirements" tab at http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/pbs/. At Lucy Cavendish, we use a subject test. Hope this helps!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
I see.
So are offers & rejection given out all on the same day ? (Monday 1st) and by email?

Decisions are going out by e-mail on Tuesday 2nd.
Hi sorry for butting in on the conversation…
Just to clarify.. are the Interview invitations and rejections being released on the 2nd of December?? x
Original post by Lousamnap
Hi sorry for butting in on the conversation…
Just to clarify.. are the Interview invitations and rejections being released on the 2nd of December?? x

Offers and rejections for the Graduate Course in Medicine (A101) are going out on December 2; the interviews for that course took place earlier this week.
Offers and rejections for the Graduate Course in Medicine (A101) are going out on December 2; the interviews for that course took place earlier this week.

Oh, Ok…
Would you happen to know what date the Vet med interviews are released or if they already have been?? x
Original post by Lousamnap
Oh, Ok…
Would you happen to know what date the Vet med interviews are released or if they already have been?? x

It depends on the College. Those Colleges that wait for the results of the BMAT are likely to be sending out invitations to interview today and tomorrow.
It depends on the College. Those Colleges that wait for the results of the BMAT are likely to be sending out invitations to interview today and tomorrow.

Ok Thanks for reply! x
Hi!

I am a 21+ applicant that is applying for Law. My interview is scheduled for this coming Wednesday and I was looking for some advice. In particular, I was wondering if the subject matter to be discussed. I have been reading the same sources I always do, but am not sure if that is adequate.

Thanks.

Latest