The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Hi, I did post about this a few hours ago but I guess it got lost in the thread! The mature colleges are all happy to extend the deadline and will accept applications submitted up until the end of March 2. (UCAS functionality should be restored at 8am.)

Thank you :smile:
How are interviews conducted for those outside of the UK? A Skype call or..?
Original post by Velasco
How are interviews conducted for those outside of the UK? A Skype call or..?

It depends how far outside the UK you are, and whether you can practicably travel to interview. Many EU applicants do come for interview in person; non-EU applicants may well be able to request a Skype interview, if shortlisted during the March Round.
Hello

I was unwell during the time of my January interview and your admissions team have kindly agreed to postpone my interview to the mature students interview stages (thank you again). I was wondering if the interview dates had been set yet as I will have to book the time off work and as it is the end of the financial year, holiday is booking up fast. I have held off calling because the deadline hasn't arrived yet. When would you consider the best date of myself calling the admissions office or should I wait untill the e-mail confirming my date arrives?

Thank you again,

Anna-Marie
Original post by tatt0barbie
Hello

I was unwell during the time of my January interview and your admissions team have kindly agreed to postpone my interview to the mature students interview stages (thank you again). I was wondering if the interview dates had been set yet as I will have to book the time off work and as it is the end of the financial year, holiday is booking up fast. I have held off calling because the deadline hasn't arrived yet. When would you consider the best date of myself calling the admissions office or should I wait untill the e-mail confirming my date arrives?

Thank you again,

Anna-Marie

Hi Anna-Marie,

Interviews are scheduled to take place during the week commencing March 23. We will shortlist as soon as we can following the deadline (bearing in mind that applicants have until March 7 to submit their SAQs), but if there are dates that you really can't make, it is probably best to let the Admissions Office know now.
Original post by emu1111
Thank u..!! I applied for MRes cancer bio in imperial.:s-smilie:

Some 2.1 graduates in this field do get full funding, both at Cambridge and Imperial; some do not, unfortunately.

The best advice I can give you is to contact potential supervisors in Cambridge (assuming you intend to continue onto a PhD after the MRes), and ask them about the likelihood of funding. Much of the central funding has already been allocated, but there is still funding available from many of the Research Council Grants, and individual supervisors and group leaders will know about this.
Some 2.1 graduates in this field do get full funding, both at Cambridge and Imperial; some do not, unfortunately.

The best advice I can give you is to contact potential supervisors in Cambridge (assuming you intend to continue onto a PhD after the MRes), and ask them about the likelihood of funding. Much of the central funding has already been allocated, but there is still funding available from many of the Research Council Grants, and individual supervisors and group leaders will know about this.

Thank you so much for the help!!! I'll look into it. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Hi!

I would like to enquire about applying from university. I'll be 21+ by the time I apply from a UoL university. I'd like to know how much weight Camb admissions puts on university studies and grades. I got ABB at A-levels but I hope to make up for this through my first-year uni grades. I understand that my A-level grades alone are prohibitive. Could you give me some advice as to whether I would make a competitive application with uni grades? I would be re-starting a course in Cambridge from year one, of course.

Many thanks!
Ashley
Original post by phlegmboyant
Hi!

I would like to enquire about applying from university. I'll be 21+ by the time I apply from a UoL university. I'd like to know how much weight Camb admissions puts on university studies and grades. I got ABB at A-levels but I hope to make up for this through my first-year uni grades. I understand that my A-level grades alone are prohibitive. Could you give me some advice as to whether I would make a competitive application with uni grades? I would be re-starting a course in Cambridge from year one, of course.

Many thanks!
Ashley

Hi Ashley, I think it would depend on what you had studied at UoL (and how specifically it prepared you for the course at Cambridge for which you applied), as well as the pattern of grades you had secured. At Lucy Cavendish, we would normally expect someone in your situation to have an overall First-Class profile, as well as First-Class marks on relevant papers, but this might vary from college to college. All colleges would expect you to have the explicit support of your current institution, if you had not withdrawn prior to application to Cambridge.
Reply 369
Dear Zamir,

The Psychological and Behavioural Sciences Tripos overlaps at some points with Natural Sciences. If you follow this link, you will find the course structure, and see that you can borrow from N.Sciences in the third year. That option will probably rely on taking a particular set of papers in the first and second years.

http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/structure
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zamir07
Dear Isobel,

Thank you for your reply.

I wanted to apply to St Edmund's to study PBS. I payed and sent my UCAS form to my college. I thought my college had sent my form to UCAS. I contacted UCAS and they replied back to me saying that they had not received my form. I checked my status and it says my application was approved on Friday but it was not sent to UCAS. I have contacted my college about my situation. St Edmund's wanted photocopies of certificates and a CV, which i have sent. I also asked my tutor to send an extenuating Circumstances form to St Edmund's. I have contacted St Edmund's to find out if they have received my extenuating circumstances form, but i have not had a reply yet. St Edmund's also wanted an additional academic reference, by 8th March. My tutor is in the process of writing it and wants to send it on Friday. I have told her that my UCAS form has not been sent and that i have missed the deadline. Could you please let me know what i need to do?

Best wishes,

Zamir

Dear Zamir,

You need to resolve this situation with St Edmund's, I'm afraid; they are best placed to advise you.

With best wishes,

Emily
Reply 371
Hi, I applied for Law and got offered by the college with the condition of getting A*A*A* in my A-Levels results but unfortunately, I only scored A*AAA. Does this mean that the college would not consider my application anymore since I couldn't meet the conditions on the offer letter? Is there something else that I could do for the college to reconsider my offer?
Original post by gyrmah1
Hi, I applied for Law and got offered by the college with the condition of getting A*A*A* in my A-Levels results but unfortunately, I only scored A*AAA. Does this mean that the college would not consider my application anymore since I couldn't meet the conditions on the offer letter? Is there something else that I could do for the college to reconsider my offer?

Cases like yours are usually considered in August, when results from the entire gathered field become available, and Admissions Tutors are able to make distinctions between "near miss" candidates. (This is why the Summer Pool takes place then.)

What you can do in the interim is notify the College of any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your performance (with documentation from a third party if appropriate), supply percentage module scores (to show how "near" the miss was), and indicate whether you have any plans to re-sit your A-levels, or to undertake further academic preparation prior to University entry.
Does Cambridge ever consider late applications?
Original post by Velasco
Does Cambridge ever consider late applications?

For undergraduate or graduate courses?
For undergraduate or graduate courses?

Undergraduate.
Original post by Velasco
Undergraduate.

No, I'm afraid not. Mature students could still apply to Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's or Wolfson up until March 1/2, in certain subjects, but that was the final deadline.
No, I'm afraid not. Mature students could still apply to Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's or Wolfson up until March 1/2, in certain subjects, but that was the final deadline.

Ah, no problem. Thanks for the information. Is it ever too early to apply for the next year (2016 entry)?
Original post by Velasco
Ah, no problem. Thanks for the information. Is it ever too early to apply for the next year (2016 entry)?

UCAS applications for 2016 entry open on September 1.
Reply 379
Any idea what percentage of those who received a VC award also get research council funding? I know I shouldn't be greedy, but...

Latest