The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do I need to enter my degree modules on UCAS form? (if so, should i mention all years) even though i have emailed admissions with my full modules and description of my degree and the chemistry content?

Also what happens, if I cannt find my university certificate? :frown: although i have the transcript
Original post by Ama2007
Do I need to enter my degree modules on UCAS form? (if so, should i mention all years) even though i have emailed admissions with my full modules and description of my degree and the chemistry content?

Also what happens, if I cannt find my university certificate? :frown: although i have the transcript

As long as the Admissions Office has details of your degree modules, there is no need to mention them on the UCAS form (unless other Medical Schools are likely to need them). Ideally, you should send in the certificate, if you can - but the transcript is the most important thing.
Reply 62
Hi Lucy,

I am 27 and have completed 2 years of History at UCL and, after a break, I am continuing my studies at Open University. I am studying a level 4 module in BA History on the Classical Route. Is it at all possible to apply to join 3rd year Classics or History at Cambridge with my current qualifications next year?

I also have ABB at A level from 2006.

Thanks,
Ram
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rambon
Hi Lucy,

I am 27 and have completed 2 years of History at UCL and, after a break, I am continuing my studies at Open University. I am studying a level 4 module in BA History on the Classical Route. Is it at all possible to apply to join 3rd year Classics or History at Cambridge with my current qualifications next year?

I also have ABB at A level from 2006.

Thanks,
Ram

You can't use credit accumulated at another university towards any Cambridge degree, unfortunately, or transfer directly into the second or third year of a BA unless you are applying as an 'affiliate'. So you'd have to either start again from the first year, or complete enough modules to allow you to graduate from the OU - and thus become eligible for affiliate entry.
Original post by rambon
I am studying a level 4 module in BA History on the Classical Route.

Which module is that? I'm pretty sure the OU doesn't do level 4 modules, not for undergrad anyway.
Reply 65
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
You can't use credit accumulated at another university towards any Cambridge degree, unfortunately, or transfer directly into the second or third year of a BA unless you are applying as an 'affiliate'. So you'd have to either start again from the first year, or complete enough modules to allow you to graduate from the OU - and thus become eligible for affiliate entry.

Thanks for your reply! Would it then be better completing my degree through OU and applying for an MA at Cambridge? Are OU graduates even considered for Cambridge MAs? And what MA routes are available for History graduates? Sorry to bombard you!

Original post by Samual
Which module is that? I'm pretty sure the OU doesn't do level 4 modules, not for undergrad anyway.

I meant group 4, it's A219 a level 2 module.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cambridge doesn't actually offer taught MAs. The Faculty of History does, however, run nine MPhil courses, detailed here: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/courses/mphils

Alternatively, the Institute of Continuing Education offers a part-time MSt in History: http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/component/courses/?view=course&cid=15742&ref=mst-history

We have in the past accepted one or two OU graduates for MPhil courses at Lucy Cavendish, but it's worth checking with the Graduate Admissions Office and/or the Institute of Continuing Education as to how competitive your application might be, especially if you graduate with a 2.1 rather than a First.

As to whether it's better to go for an MPhil, MSt or affiliated entry to the BA, I think that's a decision you'll need to make based on the course content, and also the finances - SFE funding won't extend to a second undergraduate degree. There's nothing to stop you applying for one or more MPhils, the MSt, and the BA in the same year, however, and seeing how you get on.
Reply 67
Cambridge doesn't actually offer taught MAs. The Faculty of History does, however, run nine MPhil courses, detailed here: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/courses/mphils

Alternatively, the Institute of Continuing Education offers a part-time MSt in History: http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/component/courses/?view=course&cid=15742&ref=mst-history

We have in the past accepted one or two OU graduates for MPhil courses at Lucy Cavendish, but it's worth checking with the Graduate Admissions Office and/or the Institute of Continuing Education as to how competitive your application might be, especially if you graduate with a 2.1 rather than a First.

As to whether it's better to go for an MPhil, MSt or affiliated entry to the BA, I think that's a decision you'll need to make based on the course content, and also the finances - SFE funding won't extend to a second undergraduate degree. There's nothing to stop you applying for one or more MPhils, the MSt, and the BA in the same year, however, and seeing how you get on.

Thanks again for the information and advice. Glad to see there are plenty of options.
Hi!
I am a 21 year old UK citizen applying for Medicine as a second degree for the year 2015, and am trying to decide whether it's worth applying to the Graduate programme at Cambridge, or whether I won't have a chance!

GCSEs: 5A*s (maths, english, biology, chemistry, physics), 5As
International Baccalaureate: Total 41
- HL Biology: 7
- HL Chemistry: 7
- HL Business: 7
- SL Maths: 7
- SL Spanish B: 6
- SL English A1: 5
- EE/TOK: 2

Currently in my final year of BSc Biological Sciences (Honours Zoology) at the University of Edinburgh, with a predicted first class honours grade.
I realise that Zoology may appear an odd degree before my medical application, but my courses are entirely focused on parasites.
I have a wide variety of medical work experience, and lots of extra-curricular activities, but I am worried that the fact that I am doing Zoology will hold me back in the application process.

Is it worth applying? Thank you for this thread, it is most helpful!
Original post by KingsofLeonfan
Hi!
I am a 21 year old UK citizen applying for Medicine as a second degree for the year 2015, and am trying to decide whether it's worth applying to the Graduate programme at Cambridge, or whether I won't have a chance!

GCSEs: 5A*s (maths, english, biology, chemistry, physics), 5As
International Baccalaureate: Total 41
- HL Biology: 7
- HL Chemistry: 7
- HL Business: 7
- SL Maths: 7
- SL Spanish B: 6
- SL English A1: 5
- EE/TOK: 2

Currently in my final year of BSc Biological Sciences (Honours Zoology) at the University of Edinburgh, with a predicted first class honours grade.
I realise that Zoology may appear an odd degree before my medical application, but my courses are entirely focused on parasites.
I have a wide variety of medical work experience, and lots of extra-curricular activities, but I am worried that the fact that I am doing Zoology will hold me back in the application process.

Is it worth applying? Thank you for this thread, it is most helpful!

It's definitely worth applying, yes: you have a strong overall score in the IB, you have the right subjects to meet the course requirements, alongside relevant work experience, and you're predicted a First. All these things will count in your favour. The fact that you're doing Zoology isn't an issue - we accept applicants with a wide range of undergraduate degrees onto the Graduate Course in Medicine, from Music to Marine Biology!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,

I totally agree, this thread is by far the most useful i have seen on TSR :smile: :biggrin:

Regarding the medical course:

Do you have a set number for each degree (or types of degrees)? Hypothetically speaking, what if you have 10 Arts or pharmacy grads applying and all of them seem to satisfy your requirements, would you admit them all or because you need variety on your course, then surely you cannot have half of your students from the same degree?

Thank you,
Reply 71
Hi,

Thanks for opening this thread. I want to apply to Cambridge for Mathematics with Physics or just Pure and Applied Maths. I am abit concerned though because I'm currently 16 when applying and 17 after my A-Levels. I'm doing Maths A*, Further Maths, Chemistry A, Physics A and Biology B, averaging about 89 at AS and predicted 4A*. I very much want to apply to Trinity, but my advisers are concerned about my choice as well as my age. I am also confused with the Maths with Physics and the Pure Maths course, because on the college websites there isn't much information about Maths with Physics other than its a 1 year course. There are alot of rumours saying how Maths with Physics is much more competitive so I want to clarify that. I wanted to also ask, whether is there a difference between applying to Trinity then get pooled to other college and making an open application. The thing is I want to go to Trinity, but studying at Cambridge is more important to me as a result I am not sure if it will hinder my chances by applying to Trinity, whether it is my Age, Course or choice of college.

Thanks alot in advance and sorry about the long text
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
Hi,

I totally agree, this thread is by far the most useful i have seen on TSR :smile: :biggrin:

Regarding the medical course:

Do you have a set number for each degree (or types of degrees)? Hypothetically speaking, what if you have 10 Arts or pharmacy grads applying and all of them seem to satisfy your requirements, would you admit them all or because you need variety on your course, then surely you cannot have half of your students from the same degree?

Thank you,

We don't differentiate between first degree subjects in determining the final allocation of places, no. We simply divide our places among the best applicants, regardless of background - we're not trying to 'engineer' a certain social or academic mix. In practice, this always has led to variety: so, at Lucy Cavendish this year our seven new Graduate Medics have degrees in Biology, Dentistry, English Literature, Government & Economics, History of Science, Management, and Modern Languages. Applicants are scored in so many different areas, both before and during the interview, that I think it's unlikely we'd ever have a "tie" of the sort you suggest.
Original post by tdtamg
Hi,

Thanks for opening this thread. I want to apply to Cambridge for Mathematics with Physics or just Pure and Applied Maths. I am abit concerned though because I'm currently 16 when applying and 17 after my A-Levels. I'm doing Maths A*, Further Maths, Chemistry A, Physics A and Biology B, averaging about 89 at AS and predicted 4A*. I very much want to apply to Trinity, but my advisers are concerned about my choice as well as my age. I am also confused with the Maths with Physics and the Pure Maths course, because on the college websites there isn't much information about Maths with Physics other than its a 1 year course. There are alot of rumours saying how Maths with Physics is much more competitive so I want to clarify that. I wanted to also ask, whether is there a difference between applying to Trinity then get pooled to other college and making an open application. The thing is I want to go to Trinity, but studying at Cambridge is more important to me as a result I am not sure if it will hinder my chances by applying to Trinity, whether it is my Age, Course or choice of college.

Thanks alot in advance and sorry about the long text

I'm not ideally placed to answer your query, since my expertise is in the admission of students aged 21 and over. However, broadly, I think it's fair to say that Mathematics at Cambridge is competitive, full stop, whether you are applying for "straight" Mathematics or Mathematics and Physics. I'm not personally aware that there are any significant differences between the two options, in terms of applicants per place. Where there are differences is between Mathematics and Physical Natural Sciences, with the former receiving around 6 applicants per place, as against 5 for the latter. You can find more information about Mathematics and Physics on the Faculty of Mathematics website here:
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course/mathswithphysics.pdf

You don't say whether your UMS average is across all five subjects, or which subjects pulled you down. That said, a UMS of 89% across three subjects would be slightly below the average for Cambridge applicants, placing you in the third quintile of applicants for Mathematics last year. I don't think that puts you out of contention for an interview, but your chances of securing an interview (and thus being pooled) might well be higher at a college other than Trinity, which is extraordinarily popular for Mathematics.

I'm not aware that any college has a specific policy on 17 year-olds, and I think most colleges would be concerned at you applying against the recommendations of your advisers. Fitzwilliam does, though, have a track record in admitting younger applicants.

My advice to you, at this point, would be to contact a few colleges other than Trinity (which you have already researched) for feedback on your application. If you do not have time, then an open application is a sensible choice.
Hi,

I'm applying for computer science as a mature student with OU credits and have a quick query.

As my A levels are quite old, and my gcse's obviously even older, are these generally taken into account? Or is my recent study more relevant?

I've already sent my application and SAQ off so it's not a massive drama if they are.

Also, when are we likely to hear back about offers for interview/rejection? The refresh button on my laptop is getting very worn out!

Thanks in advance.
Original post by tim_123
Hi,

I'm applying for computer science as a mature student with OU credits and have a quick query.

As my A levels are quite old, and my gcse's obviously even older, are these generally taken into account? Or is my recent study more relevant?

I've already sent my application and SAQ off so it's not a massive drama if they are.

Also, when are we likely to hear back about offers for interview/rejection? The refresh button on my laptop is getting very worn out!

Thanks in advance.

The most relevant thing is your recent study. Your GCSEs are unlikely to be of interest to an Admissions Tutor, especially if they are old, and your A-levels will not be of interest unless (a) they are the only evidence that you meet a key requirement of the course (for example, that you have Mathematics to A-level standard) or (b) they are the primary proof that you have the academic potential to study at Cambridge (which might happen if you'd only taken a small number of OU credits and had not yet obtained results for them).

Most colleges don't send out invitations to interview, or rejection letters, until mid to late November. So I think you can safely give the refresh button a break for a while!
Hi,

I'm a student from from Singapore, and instead of doing the traditional 2 year Singapore-Cambridge A Levels, I opted to do a 3 year Polytechnic Diploma (in the subjects of Law & Management). And because of national service commitments I'll be 22 by the time I enter university.

Can I ask if my qualification is considered suitable for application to Cambridge?

I have emailed the admissions office of Wolfson College asking this, and they have said that it would be considered normally if my grades are good. However, there are other colleges which stated that they consider it too vocational and too narrow (further adding that prior study of law is of no benefit to the law programme).
Original post by JaredKCW
Hi,

I'm a student from from Singapore, and instead of doing the traditional 2 year Singapore-Cambridge A Levels, I opted to do a 3 year Polytechnic Diploma (in the subjects of Law & Management). And because of national service commitments I'll be 22 by the time I enter university.

Can I ask if my qualification is considered suitable for application to Cambridge?

I have emailed the admissions office of Wolfson College asking this, and they have said that it would be considered normally if my grades are good. However, there are other colleges which stated that they consider it too vocational and too narrow (further adding that prior study of law is of no benefit to the law programme).

There has been some discussion about the Singaporean Polytechnic Diploma at Cambridge. The Diploma qualification itself is recognized as equivalent to A-levels. Historically, however, the quality of Diploma candidates interviewed has been quite variable, regardless of GPA: at Lucy Cavendish, for example, I've seen both exceptionally strong and exceptionally weak 4.0 applicants. Because of that variation, a number of colleges are reluctant to encourage Diploma candidates, generally, and it is also true that some colleges have specific preferences when it comes to Law. If Wolfson has given you a positive response, then I would recommend you apply there. (I'm assuming you're ineligible for Lucy Cavendish!)
There has been some discussion about the Singaporean Polytechnic Diploma at Cambridge. The Diploma qualification itself is recognized as equivalent to A-levels. Historically, however, the quality of Diploma candidates interviewed has been quite variable, regardless of GPA: at Lucy Cavendish, for example, I've seen both exceptionally strong and exceptionally weak 4.0 applicants. Because of that variation, a number of colleges are reluctant to encourage Diploma candidates, generally, and it is also true that some colleges have specific preferences when it comes to Law. If Wolfson has given you a positive response, then I would recommend you apply there. (I'm assuming you're ineligible for Lucy Cavendish!)

I am ineligible for Lucy Cavendish! Haha. I have to ask though, I'm sure just like the A Levels, there will be exceptionally strong and weak A*A*A applicants or AAAA Singapore Cambridge A Level applicants. Does that mean that in general, if a 4.0 is strong at interview and at the written test - coupled with a decent PS and a positive reference, he has an equal chance of being admitted? Compared to an equivalent A level student that is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JaredKCW
I am ineligible for Lucy Cavendish! Haha. I have to ask though, I'm sure just like the A Levels, there will be exceptionally strong and weak A*A*A applicants or AAAA Singapore Cambridge A Level applicants. Does that mean that in general, if a 4.0 is strong at interview and at the written test - coupled with a decent PS and a positive reference, he has an equal chance of being admitted? Compared to an equivalent A level student that is.

In my experience, yes.