The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
I absolutely understand your concerns.

My history 35 years ago is of not applying to Cambridge and applying somewhere dark blue (I have managed to find my way to the fens more recently) primarily because the Cambridge prospectus was incomprehensible.

Then I saw that in the week when we all celebrate Groundhog Day the Sutton Trust was still having to make a point about admissions systems that are too complex
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
My history 35 years ago is of not applying to Cambridge and applying somewhere dark blue (I have managed to find my way to the fens more recently) primarily because the Cambridge prospectus was incomprehensible.

Then I saw that in the week when we all celebrate Groundhog Day the Sutton Trust was still having to make a point about admissions systems that are too complex

Comparing the different timings or formats of a written test is disingenuous - if someone is applying for maths (say), why does the application format for the history matter? Doesn't it make more sense to tweak the assessments to suit the needs of the subject? The complexity is on Cambridge's side, where the ATs need to administer and allow for multiple assessment types for the various subjects.

The other advantage for students in standardised testing is that it makes applicants more comparable across colleges. Really the only subject I can see a genuine case for complexity is History and MML, which doesn't even exist as a Tripos until 2017.
Original post by shamika
Comparing the different timings or formats of a written test is disingenuous - if someone is applying for maths (say), why does the application format for the history matter? Doesn't it make more sense to tweak the assessments to suit the needs of the subject? The complexity is on Cambridge's side, where the ATs need to administer and allow for multiple assessment types for the various subjects.

The other advantage for students in standardised testing is that it makes applicants more comparable across colleges. Really the only subject I can see a genuine case for complexity is History and MML, which doesn't even exist as a Tripos until 2017.

Those advising applicants have to deal with all subjects in addition to "conventional" university applications.

You assume that any applicant is only considering a single subject.

You misunderstand the nature of complexity. There will only ever be one right answer for each applicant and application. The issue is how readily discernible that right answer happens to be. An applicant may be a young applicant for English but if the information as to what assessments must be undertaken by him is cluttered up with information about the requirements for mature medics, then what the young English applicant must do will appear complex. Complexity arises from exceptions and special cases. It is irrelevant whether those exceptions or special cases apply to the person concerned. It is the fact someone has to consider them, which creates complexity. "I before e" is a less complex rule than "I before e except after c". Both are less complex than "in the case of digraphs I before e except after c" but all three rules produce the same answer to the question of how "piece" is spelt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello Emilly,

First of all thank you for taking the time to help us. I'd like to ask your opinion about my situation.
I'm a 24 old woman (25 in May) and I'd absolutely love to study Genetics, my goal is to get into research.
I'm really interested in Lucy Cavendish college and I'd like to apply to it.
I'm currently studying GCSE maths, Biology and Chemistry; couldn't pass the entry test for GCSE English so I have to do it next year. (my english is rubbish)
I'm not sure If I should go for an Access course or A levels.
I read that for Natural Sciences an Access course might not be enough; what should I do?
To be honest I don´t really like the idea of expending an extra year taking a levels but many of the university that I'm interested in don't accept Access.
I need some advice Am I too old for a science degree? :frown:

I forgot to add that I support myself working par-time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello Lucy Cavendish College. Just wondering, do the offerholers must submit Cambridge Trust form to the College or is it optional?

Kind regards
Kevin
Original post by nulli tertius
Those advising applicants have to deal with all subjects in addition to "conventional" university applications.

Indeed, but the increase in cognitive load in having to read a table to find out when admissions tests are for a particular subject is minimal surely? (I can do it, and I only advise on TSR!)

You assume that any applicant is only considering a single subject.

I would actively discourage people choosing a degree based on the admissions process. Again, for such people, it is reading two or three entries in a table rather than one. I can't see why that's particularly difficult.

You misunderstand the nature of complexity. There will only ever be one right answer for each applicant and application. The issue is how readily discernible that right answer happens to be. An applicant may be a young applicant for English but if the information as to what assessments must be undertaken by him is cluttered up with information about the requirements for mature medics, then what the young English applicant must do will appear complex. Complexity arises from exceptions and special cases. It is irrelevant whether those exceptions or special cases apply to the person concerned. It is the fact someone has to consider them, which creates complexity. "I before e" is a less complex rule than "I before e except after c". Both are less complex than "in the case of digraphs I before e except after c" but all three rules produce the same answer to the question of how "piece" is spelt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again, I agree with the principle of keeping things simple, but I just cannot see the sudden jump in complexity in the admissions process that you're seeing. I can accept that the Oxbridge admissions process is complicated, but Cambridge's system hasn't suddenly becoming overly complex due to the introduction of standardised written tests :confused:

(We might want to take this to PM or on the dedicated thread to avoid distracting people from getting help from Lucy Cavendish - happy to continue the discussion, as I think I'm still fundamentally missing your point)
Original post by masteroflendic
Hello Lucy Cavendish College. Just wondering, do the offerholers must submit Cambridge Trust form to the College or is it optional?

Kind regards
Kevin

It's optional!
I am assuming that your break in education would not have exceeded three year? If that is the case, you would certainly be invited for interview, and I think you would also stand a realistic chance of receiving an offer. However, you would increase that chance if you could demonstrate that you had undertaken some relevant recent study. There are different ways to do this; A-level Biology would certainly be one, but you might prefer something more closely related to the subject you wish to study, so you could consider taking (for example) STEP 1 Mathematics, or some OU credits in Maths, Chemistry, or Physics.

Thank you ever so much for your detailed reply.

I am not entirely sure about the three year rule, I took my exams in June 2014, and as you know, I can only apply in October 2016 for courses starting September 2017. Does this exceed three years?

On the website it says that the university would prefer mature students to apply in the first round of applications. Do I take this to mean that I am more likely to receive an offer during the first round, and can mature colleges give offers to mature students in the winter pool?
Original post by Freida
Hello Emilly,

First of all thank you for taking the time to help us. I'd like to ask your opinion about my situation.
I'm a 24 old woman (25 in May) and I'd absolutely love to study Genetics, my goal is to get into research.
I'm really interested in Lucy Cavendish college and I'd like to apply to it.
I'm currently studying GCSE maths, Biology and Chemistry; couldn't pass the entry test for GCSE English so I have to do it next year. (my english is rubbish)
I'm not sure If I should go for an Access course or A levels.
I read that for Natural Sciences an Access course might not be enough; what should I do?
To be honest I don´t really like the idea of expending an extra year taking a levels but many of the university that I'm interested in don't accept Access.
I need some advice Am I too old for a science degree? :frown:

I forgot to add that I support myself working par-time.

You're not too old for a science degree, no! But it is true that Cambridge doesn't accept an Access Diploma, on its own, for entry to Natural Sciences. So if you did choose to follow an Access course, you would need to top it up with at least one A-level (ideally Chemistry or Maths). To be honest, though, you will give yourself a broader choice of universities, and a better chance of securing a place at Cambridge or another top university with three science A-levels.
Reply 1049
Hi Lucy,

I am applying for mature entry in 2016 for PBS and am currently writing my sample essays for submission. There is relatively little guidance on what is expected from these essays, especially from a mature student standpoint. My essays are related to the field of PBS and I have done a substantial amount of research and reading on my topic. I would like to know how rigorously the admissions tutors expect me to support the arguments I have made with quotation, references to papers and texts, or if it simply suffices to list the materials I have used in the essay's bibliography. I have also conferred with people who have a lot of knowledge about my topic, and this is not something I can necessarily point to easily in a bibliography; what would you recommend in this instance?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Sola
Hi Lucy,

I am applying for mature entry in 2016 for PBS and am currently writing my sample essays for submission. There is relatively little guidance on what is expected from these essays, especially from a mature student standpoint. My essays are related to the field of PBS and I have done a substantial amount of research and reading on my topic. I would like to know how rigorously the admissions tutors expect me to support the arguments I have made with quotation, references to papers and texts, or if it simply suffices to list the materials I have used in the essay's bibliography. I have also conferred with people who have a lot of knowledge about my topic, and this is not something I can necessarily point to easily in a bibliography; what would you recommend in this instance?

Thanks in advance.

The reason there isn't much guidance on the sample essays is that we generally expect these to be essays you have produced in the course of your most recent studies (e.g. as part of an Access Diploma, an A-level, or a university programme), which have been marked by a tutor or teacher. We don't expect you to write essays especially for us, and only set titles when there is a real and pressing reason why a candidate doesn't already have examples of work to hand. If you are writing essays now, however, you should aim to submit something that is of at least good A-level standard, and that would involve some quotation and basic referencing, as well as a bibliography. Consultation with individuals could be acknowledged in a footnote or at the end of your bibliography. I hope this helps!
Hi Emily

I am planning to apply in Lucy Cavendish for October 2017 as a mature student to do Law undergraduate degree.Got undergraduate degree from Bangladesh in Business studies and MBA in International Management from UK.

Can you please guide me through how should I prepare myself for admission process and what other requirement I need to fulfill ?
What chances I got to secure a place in Lucy Cavendish?
Original post by nimmi2016
Hi Emily

I am planning to apply in Lucy Cavendish for October 2017 as a mature student to do Law undergraduate degree.Got undergraduate degree from Bangladesh in Business studies and MBA in International Management from UK.

Can you please guide me through how should I prepare myself for admission process and what other requirement I need to fulfill ?
What chances I got to secure a place in Lucy Cavendish?

Hi there,

You can find full details of the applications process and requirements here:

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/

It is difficult to say what your chances of securing a place are without knowing more about your previous qualifications - if you pm me details of your grades I will be able to advise further.
Original post by nimmi2016
Secondary School Certificates Year -1999 Second Division(equivalent to GCSE B+)
Higher Secondary Certificate Year-2001 Second Division (equivalent to A Level Grade B+)
Bachelor of Business Administration with major in Marketing CGPA 3.41 out of 4.00 Grade B+ (Year 2005)
MBA in International Management (Pass (40-69%)Mark (year-2012) University of Wales

Please let me know if you would like me to email you copy of my certificates .

I'm really sorry, I don't think you would be able to submit a competitive application to Cambridge on the basis of these qualifications - we would be looking for achievement at the top end of the scale in at least one of your previous institutions. I would, however, recommend you consider other Russell Group universities.
Hi Lucy Cavendish

Just a quick one, I'm 26 now.
I passed my IGCSEs 11 years ago with 1A, 4Bs and 3Cs - with A in English and B in Mathematics.
Passed my A-Level 9 years ago with D in Chemistry, C in Maths and B in Physics.
I am currently enrolled in access to HE diploma in medicine.

Would my A-Level grades, from 9 years ago, be considered if I apply to study medine in Cambridge on the basis of the ACCESS COURSE, as a mature student? Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Original post by Shehzads
Hi Lucy Cavendish

Just a quick one, I'm 26 now.
I passed my IGCSEs 11 years ago with 1A, 4Bs and 3Cs - with A in English and B in Mathematics.
Passed my A-Level 9 years ago with D in Chemistry, C in Maths and B in Physics.
I am currently enrolled in access to HE diploma in medicine.

Would my A-Level grades, from 9 years ago, be considered if I apply to study medine in Cambridge on the basis of the ACCESS COURSE, as a mature student? Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi there,

We don't accept an Access Diploma alone for entry to Medicine, so yes, we would need to consider your previous A-levels alongside the Diploma. Sorry!
Reply 1056
Hi! :smile:

I am planning on reapplying next year (for 2017 entry) to Cambridge to Lucy Cavendish for Medicine, but I was wondering if I would need to submit a completely new personal statement or could I use the one that I used this year again? I really put in a lot of time and effort to try to compose a personal statement that I believe effectively expresses and explains the reasons behind why I want to pursue Medicine along with describing all of my work experience and extracurriculars, and I know that my personal statement was not the reason behind why I was rejected this year. Thank you.
Hi there,

We don't accept an Access Diploma alone for entry to Medicine, so yes, we would need to consider your previous A-levels alongside the Diploma. Sorry!

Earlier on in this thread you wrote that Cambridge only considers the most recent qualification. The diploma is the most recent in my case, shouldn't you really ignore the A-Level results from 9 years ago?
Original post by Shehzads
Earlier on in this thread you wrote that Cambridge only considers the most recent qualification. The diploma is the most recent in my case, shouldn't you really ignore the A-Level results from 9 years ago?

You still need to meet the requirements for the course for which you are applying. We do not accept an Access Diploma for alone for entry to Medicine; applicants need to offer one or more A-levels alongside it.

Since you did not mention that you were taking any fresh A-levels, I'm afraid I assumed that the only recent qualification you were planning to offer was the Access Diploma, in which case we would have been compelled to take your original A-levels into account, if we were not to reject you out of hand. If you are going to take one or more further A-levels in the future, that would of course change things considerably.

I hope this is clearer?
Original post by Patina
Hi! :smile:

I am planning on reapplying next year (for 2017 entry) to Cambridge to Lucy Cavendish for Medicine, but I was wondering if I would need to submit a completely new personal statement or could I use the one that I used this year again? I really put in a lot of time and effort to try to compose a personal statement that I believe effectively expresses and explains the reasons behind why I want to pursue Medicine along with describing all of my work experience and extracurriculars, and I know that my personal statement was not the reason behind why I was rejected this year. Thank you.

If you are confident that your personal statement was not the reason you were rejected, and it will still be up to date in a year's time, then I see no reason why you should not re-use it.

Latest

Trending

Trending